Anyone there?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Anyone there?

Post by Earl Grey »

....oh...no one there. You're all too busy being disappointed by the new Top Gear.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Anyone there?

Post by pompeygunner »

Given up on it after 25mins. Cannot stand Chris Evans, never ever rated him & find it a complete mystery how he has got to the position he finds himself in. Matt LeBlanc, if he reads the autocue any slower he'll sound like a 45rpm record being played on 33.
I do think that under the old team the format was getting tired so maybe the Beeb should have, when given the opportunity, binned it.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I must be in the minority that actually enjoyed it.

It was always going to be a thankless task following on from the previous presenters but i thought they did an OK job of it, only real beef was the sound quality in the studio, sounded really echoed and tinny.

I liked the change in the start in the reasonably priced car, makes it a bi different having the off road sections.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Oh Dear, oh Dear, oh dear oh dear......if it were possible to bury a show after just 60 minutes, Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc succeeded. Top Gear may have needed a face lift, at least Clarkson, Hammond and May were very slick motoring journalists who were believable when talking to camera - there was something for everyone. Head Prefect Clarkson, bullying the class midget Hammond and Captain Slow playing his part to perfection - they knew their subject matter and it was applied with shed loads of gloss. They were believable petrol heads who entered our homes once a week and shared their motoring jokes with us.

Evans and LeBlanc patently do not fit - Evans because of a childish delivery and forced enthusiasm and LeBlanc because he's an actor not a presenter. It is toe curlingly awful from a toxic twosome. Nurse - fetch the sceens!
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:Oh Dear, oh Dear, oh dear oh dear......if it were possible to bury a show after just 60 minutes, Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc succeeded. Top Gear may have needed a face lift, at least Clarkson, Hammond and May were very slick motoring journalists who were believable when talking to camera - there was something for everyone. Head Prefect Clarkson, bullying the class midget Hammond and Captain Slow playing his part to perfection - they knew their subject matter and it was applied with shed loads of gloss. They were believable petrol heads who entered our homes once a week and shared their motoring jokes with us.

Evans and LeBlanc patently do not fit - Evans because of a childish delivery and forced enthusiasm and LeBlanc because he's an actor not a presenter. It is toe curlingly awful from a toxic twosome. Nurse - fetch the sceens!
Complete nonsense.

This was an entirely enjoyable romp around motoring topics with some new and some familiar ideas. The presenters were different: one with great enthusiasm and the other with greater ability to deliver lines than any of the earlier trio.

"The most fun without being naked," from Le Blanc was a magic line and one that could never have been delivered by any of the older trio.

The 'Top Gun' pilot forced to throw up by the driving skill of Sabine Schmitz in the Nevada desert was something that I doubt any of the three previous presenters would have been able to achieve.

It wasn't perfect but it was slickly made, entertaining and a worthy successor to the earlier shows. In six months time, Jeremy Clarkson will be firmly parked on the minority Amazon channel and largely forgotten by the majority of Top Gear enthusiasts.

Incidentally, the Extra Gear programme afterwards on BBC 3 was also good.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I suspect the tv ratings will have the final say. Seems to me Evans is a bit like Marmite. But it was awful imo.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I understand from my eldest that there was something like 4.4M viewers.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

I thought it was ok but the Beeb missed an opportunity to freshen up the format, still it a show that petrol heads like me enjoy so I'm not complaining too much

I'm also looking forward to the new Amazon show from the old Top Gear trio
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I went to watch a recording of QI last night. Really good fun. Heir Clarkson was one of the guests. He is SOOOoooooo non-PC; I loved him. Not sure you'll end up seeing anything of him though, once they've edited out the swearing and non-PC comments! The show was really well done, even if Stephen Fry has now stepped down and Sandy Toksvig has taken over. Clarkson even taught us a new word: Swaffelen. Not sure where you can use it in normal conversation, but a good word none the less.

There were a few Top Gear comments, although to be fair, mainly from Jason Mansford and Alan Davies. Clarkson started off (off air to be fair) saying he hoped the new host would do a better job than another new host.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

RubiconCSL wrote: Swaffelen
Kinda wished I hadn't looked that up at work!
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

:lol: You should know me by now!
blitzoid wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote: Swaffelen
Kinda wished I hadn't looked that up at work!
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

He also told a lovely little anecdote about knob cheese - not sure that'll make the final cut either!
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

I didn't watch the first two series of old Top Gear as I hated the studio audience format and I thought the two new hosts were wooden and dull.