Fao Weybridge

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Fao Weybridge

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Do you think k Compton has done enough to keep his place? Vaughan does not seem to rate him at all.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: Fao Weybridge

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Never mind. They have just announced an un changed squad.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I think Sri Lanka are probably the worst side to tour England (and notably, the north of England) for decades.

Re Compton, the final Test is at Lords. Form or not, it would have been a massive slap in the face to drop him from his home ground. That name carries a lot of weight there.

Top work by Cook though, getting his 10,000 runs. That's a hell of an achievement, and he's only played Tests since 2006. Not bad for a bloke who was thrown in as a last minute replacement when Trescothick had his breakdown at the airport. If he keeps his average up, he should overtake Waugh and Gavaskar by the end of the year.
Last edited by Weybridge on Mon May 30, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I don't think long term Compton is the answer @ 3 & IMO we've yet to see if Hales can cut it @ test level, I hope he does & England need him to. As I see it we still have major question marks @ opener & partner to Cooke, no.3 & genuine quality spinner. If those 3 places can be sorted out then for England it really could be happy days.
Weybridge
Interim Manager

Post by Weybridge »

I'd be inclined to give Sam Robson another shot alongside Cook, and play Hales at 3. Robson has four tons to his name this year (plus a 99). In an ideal world, Root should be at 3 but he's scoring runs for fun at 4, so let him stay there. The spinner is still a major hole to fill, but there just isn't anybody of sufficient quality right now.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Are we not considering Resident of this Parish, James Vince for no.3?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Are we not considering Resident of this Parish, James Vince for no.3?
Longer term, probably yes. For now though, while he's finding his feet at international level, it makes sense to bat him at 5.

Many other world class players who ended up at 3 - Ponting, Tendulkar for instance - began their Test careers lower down the order.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
Weybridge
Interim Manager

Post by Weybridge »

If Moeen wasn't the frontline spinner, I'd play him there. You need patience and a broad range of strokes to play at 3 to continually push the score along. Look at the great 3's in the world : Bradman, Dravid, Sangakkara, Ponting, Richards etc. Its such a crucial position and always the toughest to make your own.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Guernsey Blue wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:Are we not considering Resident of this Parish, James Vince for no.3?
Longer term, probably yes. For now though, while he's finding his feet at international level, it makes sense to bat him at 5.

Many other world class players who ended up at 3 - Ponting, Tendulkar for instance - began their Test careers lower down the order.
:thumb
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.