Andy Murray currently British

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

LiT other account
Gary O'Neil

Andy Murray currently British

Post by LiT other account »

Just through to his first French Open final.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Andy Murray currently British

Post by Weybridge »

Top effort. Djokovic still the favourite in the final, but clay certainly levels things a bit. Which is ironic really, because clay is the least level playing surface...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Andy's soon to be Scottish again, I fear.

That other Scotsman, Jock O'Vitch, is gagging for this title and won't let it slip.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Earl Grey wrote:Andy's soon to be Scottish again, I fear.

That other Scotsman, Jock O'Vitch, is gagging for this title and won't let it slip.
Murray did beat Djokovic at Rome in straight sets at their last meeting and has played the better tennis this fortnight albeit that Novak has had the easier draw through so hasn't had to raise his game. Both looked supremely fit and healthy on Friday. So will Andy's battle-hardened form carry him through against the bookies odds or will the Djok raise his game and complete the set of Grand Slams?

Djokovic to win 3-0 is 7-4, 3-1 11-4, 3-2 9-2
Murray to win 3-0 is 11-1, 3-1 8-1, 3-2 8-1

All the money is on Novak.

I think this is Andy's 10th Grand Slam final and he has only played either Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic. Two of the greatest of all time.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:Andy's soon to be Scottish again, I fear.

Murray did beat Djokovic at Rome in straight sets at their last meeting and has played the better tennis this fortnight albeit that Novak has had the easier draw through so hasn't had to raise his game. Both looked supremely fit and healthy on Friday. So will Andy's battle-hardened form carry him through against the bookies odds or will the Djok raise his game and complete the set of Grand Slams?

Djokovic to win 3-0 is 7-4, 3-1 11-4, 3-2 9-2
Murray to win 3-0 is 11-1, 3-1 8-1, 3-2 8-1

All the money is on Novak.

I think this is Andy's 10th Grand Slam final and he has only played either Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic. Two of the greatest of all time.
In the know regarding our second signing?
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Earl Grey wrote:
For once EG, I disagree with your assessment - if ever a game was there to be won by Murray, it's today! Djokovic has looked a pale shadow of his best in Paris and Murray has looked a new man this Championship. His match in the Semis with No 3 seed Stan Wawrinka was a superb demolition job of a very able player.....to put it mildly, he slaughtered him! I accept that Wawrinka is not Djokovic but right now Djokovic is not Djokovic! There will be mind games and long rallies - Murray has just beaten Djokovic in Rome. I take Murray to win this in 4 sets......
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:
For once EG, I disagree with your assessment - if ever a game was there to be won by Murray, it's today! Djokovic has looked a pale shadow of his best in Paris and Murray has looked a new man this Championship. His match in the Semis with No 3 seed Stan Wawrinka was a superb demolition job of a very able player.....to put it mildly, he slaughtered him! I accept that Wawrinka is not Djokovic but right now Djokovic is not Djokovic! There will be mind games and long rallies - Murray has just beaten Djokovic in Rome. I take Murray to win this in 4 sets......

...care to comment?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Milkins wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:

...care to comment?
No problem - I was wrong! The winner was tennis and a superb match between the 2 best players in the world.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

Milkins wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:

...care to comment?
No problem - I was wrong! The winner was tennis and a superb match between the 2 best players in the world.
Not the most analytical response - I was expecting a breakdown of why your assertions were so wildly inaccurate. Still, I'm sure you're far too busy working on the "why England will win The Euros" assertion based on beating 10 man Portugal.

Having said that, I agree the tennis was of a high standard.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

And fair to say, Murray has managed to up his game once more. Looked to be a bit stuck for a while, but after dumping Ms Mauresmo, he looks to have jumped up a gear. No shame in losing to a player like Djokovic. Just a bummer he had to meet him in the final. Maybe all those tough games getting to the final had an effect after all. Murray has managed to remain British even in defeat :)
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Murray is a Scot end of story....I for one was cheering on the best player (prob ever) to play the sport (Roger Federer) when he played Murray in the recent Wimbledon finals

Murray is the 2nd best player in the world and thats prob how he'll be remembered - he just isn't good enough to beat Novak when it counts

Connors vs Borg revisited I think...mind you John McEnroe ended Borg's dominance

Ah those were the good old days when Tennis was great....."you cannot be serious the ball was in !!!" :-)
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

We will miss this Brit/Scot banter after Thursday....
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Mickemo wrote:Murray is a Scot end of story....I for one was cheering on the best player (prob ever) to play the sport (Roger Federer) when he played Murray in the recent Wimbledon finals

Murray is the 2nd best player in the world and thats prob how he'll be remembered - he just isn't good enough to beat Novak when it counts

Connors vs Borg revisited I think...mind you John McEnroe ended Borg's dominance

Ah those were the good old days when Tennis was great....."you cannot be serious the ball was in !!!" :-)
Quite right...probably the last time I watched tennis other than casually or to ogle Anna Kournikova. McEnroe was just so watchable and I wonder why we have not really seen a similar bad boy of tennis since....I guess its one thing to be bad but you also gotta be good to back it up.
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I just read that as "Al Murray" - definitely British :)
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:McEnroe was just so watchable and I wonder why we have not really seen a similar bad boy of tennis since....I guess its one thing to be bad but you also gotta be good to back it up.
Your prayers have been answered, Mr The Kid.

I give to you Nick Kyrgios, Aussie bad boy of tennis.

Not as good as Mac but he's still young and may improve.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-boy.html

(Sorry my source is the Daily Mail but it was an article that I found quickly. It's a year old and Kyrgios is still up to his tricks.
Here's a more recent piece from a slightly more reliable source......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis ... rible.html

Oh, and I agree with you Cinci, Mac was a joy to watch. Best match I ever saw at Wombledon was Mac v Cash. Like everyone I started out supporting the 'good guy' Pat Cash but by the end I was totally in Mac's court because his tennis was so sublime.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.