Koeman

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Koeman

Post by Earl Grey »

Can the Ripples withstand another rape of their squad when Koeman attracts his favourites to the Toffees?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Koeman

Post by itsaintfunny »

He can join the queue !
I have every confidence that there will be life after Koeman as there was life after Pochettino , shame Koeman is going apparently but we should be grateful for two good seasons and move on and I have every confidence that will happen.
The King is dead long live the King innit mush ? :D
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

itsaintfunny wrote:The King is dead long live the King innit mush ? :D
It should be. Especially if you can persuade Unai Emery to be your next manager.

Some of your fellow supporters have been quite amusing in terms of the dummy-spitting. :D

Ronald Koeman has 'betrayed' Saints more than any other manager
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

not trying to troll Saints or their fans here but I am genuinely surprised (for football reasons) why Koeman would be interested in leaving Southampton for Everton.

In football terms Everton are behind Saints and its arguable which is the bigger club. Saints are in Europe next year and Everton will lose Lukaku and in danger of having a porous defence and no firepower up front (recipe for disaster). You'd think John Stones will be off soon enough too.

I can only draw as a conclusion that there are problems behind the scenes. Maybe the Board's ambition/wallet is not enough for Koeman: in terms of transfer budget and/or his own wages. I've heard rumours of the Board being a little tight with the purse strings on both fronts and that they don't want a manager to get bigger than them, eh I mean the club obviously. This was in part the reason (or so I heard) that Potch went to Spurs (although I would argue that they are a bigger club than Saints).

Shame really (honestly) because Koeman has built up a strong and secure Saints side over the last couple of years and I would have thought that he'd stay there for a couple of years more and then move on to one of the top 6 sides.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Seems odd, and a sideways step at best for Koeman. It can only be for a sizable wage increase, to go from a club in Europe to one not in Europe, surely?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Jack_Tinn wrote:In football terms Everton are behind Saints and its arguable which is the bigger club.
There is no argument that Everton are the bigger club. From an Everton statto.

Seasons in the Top Flight: Everton 113 - 39 Saints
League Titles: 9 - 0
Top 2 finishes: 16 -1
Top 3 finishes: 23 - 1
Top Flight Win %: 32.3% - 20.9%
Premier League Win %: 35.9% - 31.9%
Top Flight Points per Game: 1.23 - 0.89
Premier League Points per Game: 1.37 - 1.23
FA Cups: 5 - 1
European Trophies: 1 - 0
Relegations: 2 - 4
2015/16 Average Home Attendance: 38,214 - 30,751
2015/16 Home Ground filled: 96.3% - 94.6%

The neighbours might be better run at the moment but the numbers and history are on Everton's side.
Locky_McLockface wrote:Seems odd, and a sideways step at best for Koeman. It can only be for a sizable wage increase, to go from a club in Europe to one not in Europe, surely?
Everton have recently been taken over and there is significant money available (in excess of £100m for squad building). All part of the escalation of the Premier League.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Its appalling enough that Saints seem to be a players academy for Liverpool/Utd etc but now it seems they have opened a managers premier league pre school as well. There's a solid Champions league club there if they kept people. I'd be beyond irritated as a Stripy fan.
Whilst they do have perhaps the greatest scouting and academy set up in England you cant ship out your best at the end of every season and count on the incoming finds to be successful. They have certainly defied the odds of a predicted relegation battle every year by finding outstanding replacements.....so far.
And I get going to Spurs or London....but Everton?....from the sunny south coast?.....I'm guessing Koeman has just figured ownership isn't committed enough
Div III. Call it what it is.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

According to Alex Crook, the incoming Stripey manager will be the 50th in the last 16 years, including caretakers.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

All sorts of rumours flying around . one of which is RK's reluctance to use / develop the youth squad .

Nobody knows . The thing that does REALLY get me though , is that IF , RK's head has been turned by the money to be manager by Everton , then he can do one BIG TIME . After all the I a staying comments ......

Thing is none of us know yet!
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

this could just be Ronnie letting his agent talk to Everton to gain leverage at Saints because he only has one year left on this contract.

I may be cynical but I can see this ending with Ronnie saying he never wanted to leave whilst signing a new three year contract (for a lot more money) with release clauses if a bigger club or Dutch national team) comes calling. The problem for me is that more often than not this kind of "negotiating tactic" (if indeed it is one!) creates division between the manager and Board and this tends to end only one way: first sign of a poor run and the Board jettison the manager who stuck it to them during the good times.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Jack_Tinn wrote:this could just be Ronnie letting his agent talk to Everton to gain leverage at Saints because he only has one year left on this contract.

I may be cynical but I can see this ending with Ronnie saying he never wanted to leave whilst signing a new three year contract (for a lot more money) with release clauses if a bigger club or Dutch national team) comes calling. The problem for me is that more often than not this kind of "negotiating tactic" (if indeed it is one!) creates division between the manager and Board and this tends to end only one way: first sign of a poor run and the Board jettison the manager who stuck it to them during the good times.
Very well said & fair comment . However rumour ( yes again ) has it that Before RK went on holiday , he was happy to sign an extension . Then he changed agents . and got the £7 million offer . Again nobody knows . My GUT feeling is that he is off .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 1m1 minute ago

We understand talks over between #saintsfc & #EFC - now waiting for #EFC to unveil #Koeman. Erwin Koeman & Jan Kluitenberg move with him.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

fcbusiness Magazine ‏@fcbusiness 2m2 minutes ago

Breaking: Everton have agreed a deal to make Ronald Koeman their new manager. Southampton will receive around £5m in compensation. #EFC
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

So do we think he looked for the move or they looked to move him out and take the cash ?

Shame as i thought he was doing alright down the road, wonder who they will get in ?
Heaven's Light Our Guide
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well....a salary of 6 large per year,,,,thats enough coin to move up north.....cant argue with that
Div III. Call it what it is.