OT - Brexit Poll Tracker

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: OT - Brexit Poll Tracker

Post by Earl Grey »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Well, he does have a point...

I've had it up to here (flat hand on forehead gesture) with his and his opponents' arguments.....

.....but I really did like the little song at the end. :thumb
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Apparently, David Beckham has announced that he intends to vote Remain. It will be the first time in years that he's put a cross into the box.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Apparently, David Beckham has announced that he intends to vote Remain. It will be the first time in years that he's put a cross into the box.
Some wag posted Jordan Henderson's opinion on Twitter...

Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:Apparently, David Beckham has announced that he intends to vote Remain. It will be the first time in years that he's put a cross into the box.
Some wag posted Jordan Henderson's opinion on Twitter...

Love it :rofl
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Just a thought, but does anyone really believe the votes cast this week will really be the official count?

The 'One Country Europe' brigade, or Remain, are the equivalent of the 'Establishment' in US politics. The decision to stay was made long before the opportunity for a referendum was taken. It would negatively affect too many country's power hungry leaderships.

It makes for a lot of good stories and all the hype may provide effective 'interest' for the public to believe their votes really count, but in reality, the Remain party will win by a few points and normality will be restored with both sides thinking they gave it a good shot.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote:Just a thought, but does anyone really believe the votes cast this week will really be the official count?

The 'One Country Europe' brigade, or Remain, are the equivalent of the 'Establishment' in US politics. The decision to stay was made long before the opportunity for a referendum was taken. It would negatively affect too many country's power hungry leaderships.

It makes for a lot of good stories and all the hype may provide effective 'interest' for the public to believe their votes really count, but in reality, the Remain party will win by a few points and normality will be restored with both sides thinking they gave it a good shot.
****** me, have we suddenly been moved to Zimbabwe or something?

I appreciate that there may be some corrupt practices here and there ("here" being Westminster, and "there" being Brussels), but I can't bring myself to believe that the vote would be rigged.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Locky_McLockface wrote: but I can't bring myself to believe that the vote would be rigged.
Ah, the innocence of it all :-)

There is too much power involved to let the people decide anything.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

uspompeyfan wrote:Just a thought, but does anyone really believe the votes cast this week will really be the official count?

Can't agree with that . I am not saying who I voted for , but I will sat it WILL be a stay vote because so many are un-decided . If the leave campaign had swayed them they would have decided by now . Just like the Scottish referendum , the doubters will go with the " So called " Safe option , better the devil you know . ****** all to do with anything or anyone else . ( IMHO )
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote: but I can't bring myself to believe that the vote would be rigged.

Because, of course, all the people who are stuffing the ballot boxes with the additional votes before they go out to the polling stations are completely on-side, and certainly would never go whistle-blowing to any of the newspapers, and the newspapers would never want to publish such a story.

USPF, don't be so condescending.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:

Because, of course, all the people who are stuffing the ballot boxes with the additional votes before they go out to the polling stations are completely on-side, and certainly would never go whistle-blowing to any of the newspapers, and the newspapers would never want to publish such a story.

If we were using those dodgy American electronic voting booths then it might be a remote possibility. However, we use paper over here. Image
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:

It is being condescending, but taking an open minded view. In a General election, votes (on paper, thanks LiT) can be scutinized more closely as both sides have a completely vested interest.

On this occasion, you have had ex-pats encouraged ad nauseum, to vote if they've been out of the country for up to 15 years. This could end up a very large number of votes that may/may not have the same scrutiny as the official paper ones in the UK. What about those that don't vote, but are known to be out there (could amount to thousands of votes). I chose not to vote as I won't be returning to the UK and soon to be American, and thus, feel that my vote would be hypocritical either way.

My main belief is that the referendum may be a façade and that the result was always destined to be Remain, regardless of the vote. If the actual vote says Remain, then all is happy - id the result is very close....well a few thousand extra votes wouldn't hurt.

In Washington State several years ago, the Governor won by a few hundred votes, after several re-counts had shown a Rep win, the first time the Dem won it was 'no more counting'. The fact that 2500 dead people were proven to have voted, all for the Dem, was also thrown out by the State Supreme Court (Dem controlled). The decision was that too much time had been taken with the re-counts and that a winner had been declared.

With that info...having lived in WA State during and after that time...many of those same dead people still voted the next time too..... I am skeptical of the voting practices.

This is a referendum completely about power and whether it should ultimately be Britain or Europe who controls the country..... is it possible, that the results could be rigged, is all I'm asking.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Were it to every be shown that the result of this referendum was rigged, the consequences for those responsible would too dire to risk.

Your example shows the downside of a politically controlled judiciary. Which we do not have.
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

Mrs Blitzoid had a thought.
In the event of a Leave result, hands up who thinks that the French would continue to provide and pay for the security operation surrounding the migrant camps in Calais.
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

blitzoid wrote:Mrs Blitzoid had a thought.
In the event of a Leave result, hands up who thinks that the French would continue to provide and pay for the security operation surrounding the migrant camps in Calais.
Id hazard a guess that we will have to fund a significant increase in security on our side of the channel to keep all them Johnny Foreigners at bay :rofl
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Were it to every be shown that the result of this referendum was rigged, the consequences for those responsible would too dire to risk.

Your example shows the downside of a politically controlled judiciary. Which we do not have.
Granted, I have probably been in the US too long, thinking that those in power would manipulate the law to achieve what they want - or cover-up scandals :-)