Coventry vs Pompey EFL Cup (league Cup to you and I )

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Coventry vs Pompey EFL Cup (league Cup to you and I )

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Team announced:

Bass, Buxton, Davies, Barton, Naismith, May, Linganzi, Evans, Bennett, Tollitt, Main

Subs: O'Brien, Talbot, Whatmough, Doyle, Baker, Chaplin, Hunt

interesting team .....let's see how Buxton goes on debut and Main could give Smith a push if he has a good game too
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Coventry vs Pompey EFL Cup (league Cup to you and I )

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Interesting team.

Bass ahead of O'Brien, when they both need playing time. Is Bass now the official backup goalie?
After Saturday, Buxton and Main could really press their claims.
I doubt Davies came to sit on the bench, so expect him to be going for it.
May had a good pre-season, and if he looks good tonight (with Doyle & Rose good on Saturday) you would have to wonder about Danny Hollands' future at the club.
Expect Chaplin & Hunt to get significant playing time.

A game where individual performances will be as interesting as the result. Anybody there?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

0 - 1 Curtis Main penalty - Bennett fouled in box.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Extra time second half - Coventry go 3 - 2 up
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

FT 3-2 to Coventry Good game for our Reserve Team!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Brief report.

Bennett was best player in the pitch first half.

442 didn't work.

Main looked good, same with lingaze.

The new full back had some nice ideas but a little off the pace but will get there.

Tollitt not sure he will make it. Bass needs to improve.

All in all a good run out.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thanks `85
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks P85.

It will be interesting to see what role Bennett (and Evans) fills this year; I presume he is next in line for one of the three attacking midfield positions.

Not surprised 4-4-2 didn't work; it didn't work last year either. The type of player we have needs a lot of freedom to move to be effective, and they are too rigid in 4-4-2. If we are going to play two strikers, it really needs to be 4-1-3-2 (or more like 2-3-3-2 or 2-1-5-2 at times!).

Good to hear about Main; he needs to press Smith to be better. Same with Buxton and Talbot. Lingaze just adds to my comments regarding May and Hollands above.

Tollitt looked best last season as an impact sub when his pace could impact a game as it opened up; he looked poor as a starter. I don't see him as an option beyond that role, especially given the number of other attacking midfielders we have.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Tollitt needs to go out on loan until January imho. He needs to play regularly for his development - preferably in League 2 and this is not going to happen at Pompey right now.

Even if he gets on the bench its unlikely he's going to be chosen enough as an "impact sub" ahead of Bennett, Main, Chaplin, Hunt etc so he is only going to get a hand full of appearances as sub this season (particularly at home where teams are likely to park the bus so his main skill of pace is somewhat negated)
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Jack_Tinn wrote:Tollitt needs to go out on loan until January imho. He needs to play regularly for his development - preferably in League 2 and this is not going to happen at Pompey right now.

Even if he gets on the bench its unlikely he's going to be chosen enough as an "impact sub" ahead of Bennett, Main, Chaplin, Hunt etc so he is only going to get a hand full of appearances as sub this season (particularly at home where teams are likely to park the bus so his main skill of pace is somewhat negated)
There is no way a league two club would come in for him. Tollitt or Naismith? Absolutly no brainier for another league two club.

I think cook see him as a project.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Jack_Tinn wrote:Tollitt needs to go out on loan until January imho. He needs to play regularly for his development - preferably in League 2 and this is not going to happen at Pompey right now.

There is no way a league two club would come in for him. Tollitt or Naismith? Absolutly no brainier for another league two club.

I find it interesting that a League 2 club with a modest budget would take a prospect / youth / u21 player from a Championship or League 1 club without too much concern but Tollitt wouldn't be considered when he has relatively more experience around the firs xi and match day squad. Either way I think you are not disagreeing with me that he needs to find some consistent playing time and that is not going to happen for him at Pompey this season
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Jack_Tinn wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:

I find it interesting that a League 2 club with a modest budget would take a prospect / youth / u21 player from a Championship or League 1 club without too much concern but Tollitt wouldn't be considered when he has relatively more experience around the firs xi and match day squad. Either way I think you are not disagreeing with me that he needs to find some consistent playing time and that is not going to happen for him at Pompey this season
He needs to play defiantly. I just don't see him making a career in the football league anytime soon which is a shame because he seems like a nice young lad.