The trend continues it seems.....

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

The trend continues it seems.....

Post by uspompeyfan »

It will good to hear what someone who saw the game makes of it, but on paper it looks bad:

Morecambe - 2 shots on target, score 2 goals
Pompey - So far 18 shots (5 on target) 0 goals

if it goes on like this, Pompey will have a worse reputation than England at the world Cup / European Championships...... It may be early, but momentum and confidence are fickle creatures in football and we don't look like promotion contenders at all.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: The trend continues it seems.....

Post by eltorrro »

Toothless in attack, soft underbelly in defence. Might be early days but the signs are there already. From what I have heard via radio we actually appear worse than last season!! And there are some good sides in the league this season. 8)
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times

Post by eltorrro »

I will make an early season prediction that Pompey will not finish above 10th position this season. 8)
lakespfc
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by lakespfc »

Just got back and it was as bad as it sounded. We need someone who can score, in fact we need someone who's prepared to at least try and have a shot. Second half was better but we need to improve massively if we're aiming for promotion..

Glad I only had an hours drive home, I pity the poor buggers who've got the long trek south..
PLAY UP POMPEY, POMPEY PLAY UP!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Don't panic lads!....Don't Panic!
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I just don't know what can be done to change it? Replace the manager just isn't an option, that outs you back another two years, plus we aren't bad.

Play Chaplin? I just don't see him as a viable option in the system we play and he will get destroyed by league two centre backs.

Plat 442, less attacking than our current formation and doesn't gurentee goals. We aren't that good defensively.

Buy a striker? Who?

Drop Roberts who appears to have become a boo boy and replace him with Bennet who is last season's boo boy?
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Pompey1985 wrote:I just don't know what can be done to change it? Replace the manager just isn't an option, that outs you back another two years, plus we aren't bad.

Play Chaplin? I just don't see him as a viable option in the system we play and he will get destroyed by league two centre backs.

Plat 442, less attacking than our current formation and doesn't gurentee goals. We aren't that good defensively.

Buy a striker? Who?

Drop Roberts who appears to have become a boo boy and replace him with Bennet who is last season's boo boy?
I think the formation is fine but we need to be more direct, be less afraid of losing possession and take the play forward quicker. We give teams too long to organise defensively. Cook needs to coach them in the week and let them play on the day. Smith needs a rest too, give Main or Hunt a start and play Lalkovich a good run in the team.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

eltorrro wrote:I will make an early season prediction that Pompey will not finish above 10th position this season. 8)
It isn't the best start but it's a long long season with many games still to be played. I don't see how anyone can write it off 3 games in.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Championship Barnsley were bottom of league one at a far later stage than this of the season last year.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Far from a good start but way to early to be calling for PC's head (Like some of the numpty's on the Snooze website)

For me we are missing a Championship quality striker who will tear this league to pieces....i know that won't come cheap but IMHO is what we need. We can then go a goal or 2 up and dominate possession of the ball looking for more goals along the way (not park the bus)

We need to get behind the team at FP on Saturday and show why we consider ourselves the best supporters in the land
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Mickemo wrote:Far from a good start but way to early to be calling for PC's head (Like some of the numpty's on the Snooze website)

For me we are missing a Championship quality striker who will tear this league to pieces....i know that won't come cheap but IMHO is what we need. We can then go a goal or 2 up and dominate possession of the ball looking for more goals along the way (not park the bus)

We need to get behind the team at FP on Saturday and show why we consider ourselves the best supporters in the land

Do you honestly believe a championship quality striker would join a league two side? Ignoring the fact we can't afford one.

Have you seen the price of them?!
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

It appears we are in for another season of normality, I honestly cant see the fans or board having much patience past the run up into Christmas to be honest. If it looks like we are on target for another season of non-achievement then i feel PC will be gone.

Really don't know what to expect Saturday, there is going to be a huge amount of pressure on both PC and the players, honestly can't see it ending well.

Still can't understand why he is not playing Chaplin, he is fit, granted that he is small and will get bullied a bit but he knows how to get goals, something we desperately need at the moment...

PUP
Heaven's Light Our Guide
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

The stats after each game do seem to point to the obvious - we can't hit a cow's **** with a banjo. Lots of possession, lots of shots, lots of corners etc. etc. But as with last season, no goals. I guess they also point at the fragility of our defence, if so few opposition attacks can always turn into goals.

One really would expect a club our size (in this league anyway), with home crowds such as ours, could attract the best available players. Although we can't afford to splash the cash to get the best, can we in fact afford NOT to splash the cash. Much as L2 has been a fun adventure, I think we really do need to get out of this place. Surely, we must have better finances than most, if not all of the other teams in this league?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

RubiconCSL wrote:The stats after each game do seem to point to the obvious - we can't hit a cow's **** with a banjo. Lots of possession, lots of shots, lots of corners etc. etc. But as with last season, no goals. I guess they also point at the fragility of our defence, if so few opposition attacks can always turn into goals.

One really would expect a club our size (in this league anyway), with home crowds such as ours, could attract the best available players. Although we can't afford to splash the cash to get the best, can we in fact afford NOT to splash the cash. Much as L2 has been a fun adventure, I think we really do need to get out of this place. Surely, we must have better finances than most, if not all of the other teams in this league?
Your not comparing apples with apples though. Other clubs are prepared to run up big debts we aren't. Was it £4million quid losses Oxford posted?
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

As was touched on earlier in this thread . We are far too predictable. We suffer from the same disease as Roy Hodgson's England team in that we pass the ball about across the back and into midfield and back again and give the opposition far too long to get behind the ball. We need to be far more incisive and get the ball from back to front much more quickly. From what I have seen this season , Michael Smith seems highly unlikely to get on the end of anything. His work outside the box is okay but he lacks cutting edge. Carl Baker seems to be the only player prepared to take on a defender and then have a go at goal. And the opposition work that out as quickly as I have and double up on him. I really don't know what the answer is but Mr Cook had better earn his corn and come up with something pretty sharpish or the murmurings will only get louder.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!