The Cook Debate

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: The Cook Debate

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:We win lots of corners. We're not particularly effective from them. So I was pleased in the first half when the team tried a rehearsed short one, involving passes between Roberts, Bennett and Baker. It was an imaginative move which failed due to a poor touch from, I think, Bennett. The reaction from the crowd - howls of derision, people screaming "Just get it in the f****** box!".
Ah, corners! The best available data is from the PL, and that shows that a team will score from one in about 40-50 corners. I suspect it is a little better as you go down the leagues, but still nothing to justify the level of excitement a corner generates in a football crowd.

In Pompey's case, we have smallish forwards, and not the most threatening of CBs (Webster was good; Clarke is OK), so swinging the ball into the box against L2 CBs is doomed to failure. The key is variation: short corners, passes to the edge of the box, deep corners to a player from the opposite wing, etc., to keep the opposition honest. Then a "normal" corner comes as a surprise, so can also be effective. Of course, the problem is that a hoof into the box is relatively easy (and the crowd understands it), whereas variations require practice and can much more easily go wrong, which risks the wrath of the supporters.

Worth noting that Barcelona (with a similar size issue) take almost all their corners short, and have come to view them as just another way of getting the ball into play, not much different to an attacking throw-in. Unfortunately, we are not that good, but we do need to be far more inventive with corners to overcome the physical disadvantages. Not easy to explain that at FP on a Saturday afternoon!
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:The biggest problem Cook has is the impatience of the crowd, the vast majority of which seem to just want to see the ball launched forwards as fast and often as possible. Yes, I know that's an exaggeration!

An example of what i mean. We win lots of corners. We're not particularly effective from them. So I was pleased in the first half when the team tried a rehearsed short one, involving passes between Roberts, Bennett and Baker. It was an imaginative move which failed due to a poor touch from, I think, Bennett. The reaction from the crowd - howls of derision, people screaming "Just get it in the f****** box!".

Also, Cook's change in formation was not a Road to Damascus moment - it was a gamble which, happily, paid off. If our new keeper hadn't made an excellent save I dread to think how the crowd would have reacted. Until Roberts's penalty (the result, incidentally, of a moment of madness from a defender which had no link to our formation), we had lost control of the game and I actually thought Colchester were more likely to score than us. We can discount the second goal as the situation (i.e space!) just would not have arisen if we hadn't taken the lead.

Pompey's problem isn't the formation, it's the struggle to score the opening goal against hyper-defensive opponents. The crowd can help this by not groaning when players in blue shirts pass the ball to other players in blue shirts.
Brilliant post MTB, hit thee nail on the head :thumb
Vince
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Fratton End Exile wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:The biggest problem Cook has is the impatience of the crowd, the vast majority of which seem to just want to see the ball launched forwards as fast and often as possible. Yes, I know that's an exaggeration!

An example of what i mean. We win lots of corners. We're not particularly effective from them. So I was pleased in the first half when the team tried a rehearsed short one, involving passes between Roberts, Bennett and Baker. It was an imaginative move which failed due to a poor touch from, I think, Bennett. The reaction from the crowd - howls of derision, people screaming "Just get it in the f****** box!".

Also, Cook's change in formation was not a Road to Damascus moment - it was a gamble which, happily, paid off. If our new keeper hadn't made an excellent save I dread to think how the crowd would have reacted. Until Roberts's penalty (the result, incidentally, of a moment of madness from a defender which had no link to our formation), we had lost control of the game and I actually thought Colchester were more likely to score than us. We can discount the second goal as the situation (i.e space!) just would not have arisen if we hadn't taken the lead.

Pompey's problem isn't the formation, it's the struggle to score the opening goal against hyper-defensive opponents. The crowd can help this by not groaning when players in blue shirts pass the ball to other players in blue shirts.
Brilliant post MTB, hit thee nail on the head :thumb
+2
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.