The Langstone Hotel, Hayling Island

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: The Langstone Hotel, Hayling Island

Post by Mickemo »

uspompeyfan wrote:I worked there back in 1989/90 when it was a Trust House Forte property (Post House?)

A lot of away teams chose to stay there - My favorite was the Leeds United bunch with Vinny Jones, Gordon Strachen, Noel Blake was there too.

They wrote their lunch menu on the back of a paper that had notes from the Blackburn game the previous Saturday (this was for a Tuesday night game). I recall one of the notes saying of Guy Whittingham "leave alone for the last ten minutes, ineffective (or something very similar).

I contacted Pompey, as they had a couple of other errors on it - and was lucky enough to meet with John Gregory who was the gaffer at the time. He explained about scouting reports and why this would be valuable for that night's game. he offered me tickets in the South Stand, but I had a ST so declined them...he walked into the Pompey shop and got me a new shirt and a coffee mug.

that was the game where they left Whittingham alone at the end and he scored the 2 goals which brought us from 3-1 down to draw 3-3.

Ahhhh memories...... I also went head to head with Vinny Jones on that visit (small git he was).
I remember that game very clearly....Weeds were winning and won a throw in on the North Stand close to us and he lit an imaginary cigar to wind us up. Well we just loved it when Guy scored those goals and Jones got so much stick from the North Terrace it was unreal....Jones face was a picture (you cant say that very often can you)
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Guy's first was an overhead kick as the ball came off the crossbar, then right from the kick off, they played it slowly back to the keeper....Guy came from wide, untouched and in-noticed. The final back pass was soft as the three minutes of injury time were about up...he nipped between them and slotted home.

Funny how a drawn game is just as clearly etched into the mind as the hundreds of wins.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Tough one. I didn't offer up the information from what I recall; I'm pretty sure they asked. So I could have lied, but I didn't know what would happen if I did. Maybe you should ask the people who run the speed awareness course. I'd like to know.
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
ddavis wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:And I guess better than 3 points.

However, Rubi jnr had to do one as did Mrs Rubi and sadly, even though you avoid the points, you still get the hit on your insurance.
Change insurance company. I told mine about it and they said "you don't even need to tell us, it's not a formal prosecution".
Mine's up for renewal next month. Should I tell them? They go through all those questions, don't they?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Sounds like it is down to the individual insurance company:-
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-ins ... d-to-know/
Impact on premiums

Then there’s the impact on your insurance. If you are convicted of a speeding offence, you will almost certainly pay a higher price for car insurance. Many insurers add on about 30%.

But a speed awareness course is not a conviction, so it might not make any difference to your premium.

You must, though, answer all questions honestly. So, if your insurer asks if you have been convicted of a motoring offence – a routine question – you can truthfully answer no.

But if the firm asks about a speed awareness course, you would have to come clean and give details of the course you attended.

A number of insurers, including Churchill and Privilege, don’t bump up the premium for drivers who have attended a speed awareness course.

Churchill says: “We do not believe it is appropriate to penalise our customers for attending a course that educates them on road safety.”

Some take a different approach, so it’s worth shopping around at renewal for the best price and the best policy.
Clearly Admiral DO bump the premium :(
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.