Omar Bogle - one to watch?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Omar Bogle - one to watch?

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I like to watch the highlights of League 1 and 2 and see if I can't pick out a player or two that I think could be set for a bright future. I was impressed with Omar Bogle this week playing for Grimsby in the 5-2 win vs Stevenage. Scoring a hattrick is impressive enough but each goal was different and showed pace, power and technical ability....if only we had a no.9 like this at Pompey!! He can clearly link up play too and he assisted on both the goals he didn't score....(and also hit the cross bar with another effort!)

He has only just turned 23 and is 6'2" and meets the "Quinn Quota" of scoring a goal every other game throughout his career. He has four goals this season from five games (padded somewhat by the hattrick admittedly): I will be interested to see how many goals he scores this year and predict he'll score 20+ for mid-table Grimsby in League 2 this year)

One to keep an eye I think - ability, pace, power and an eye for goal

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -stevenage

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/team/pl ... ar-bogle/9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Bogle

What do you think?
Anyone else you would suggest we keep an eye out for?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Omar Bogle - one to watch?

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Fascinating report JT...isn't it surprising that a guy with that physique and GS record hasn't been scooped up by more than Grimsby...that's amazing.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Fascinating report JT...isn't it surprising that a guy with that physique and GS record hasn't been scooped up by more than Grimsby...that's amazing.
I am sure he falls into the "unproven" category but perhaps one for Pompey to consider in January if Smith or Main don't start scoring consistently as the lone big man or next summer to spearhead our charge to promotion out of League 1!
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Jack_Tinn wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Fascinating report JT...isn't it surprising that a guy with that physique and GS record hasn't been scooped up by more than Grimsby...that's amazing.
I am sure he falls into the "unproven" category but perhaps one for Pompey to consider in January if Smith or Main don't start scoring consistently as the lone big man or next summer to spearhead our charge to promotion out of League 1!

That word "unproven" always makes me think of Adam Le Fondre. When he was at Rotherham and scoring for fun , we were being heavily linked with him but our delightful manager Mr Cotterill said he was unproven at our level. He then signed for Reading , scored 12 goals in the Championship , then 14 goals in the Premiership , then 15 back in the Championship again. Yeah Mr Cotterill , unproven but worth a gamble eh ?
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

rumourmonger wrote:
Jack_Tinn wrote:

That word "unproven" always makes me think of Adam Le Fondre. When he was at Rotherham and scoring for fun , we were being heavily linked with him but our delightful manager Mr Cotterill said he was unproven at our level. He then signed for Reading , scored 12 goals in the Championship , then 14 goals in the Premiership , then 15 back in the Championship again. Yeah Mr Cotterill , unproven but worth a gamble eh ?
Isn't everyone unproven at the next level up anyways?

Anyhoo.....No names, no pack drill....(Jamie Vardy)...how did he get missed for 8 yrs?
Div III. Call it what it is.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

rumourmonger wrote:
Jack_Tinn wrote:

totally agree. Arry annoyed me - well often - but specifically when he said that there were no players outside of the premiership....as if every Premiership team was developing their own players anyway!! It specifically annoyed me when you think that De Zeeuw was playing League 1 before we signed him and a year later was a key premiership quality player for us. How blinkered.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -2-grimsby

Bogle scores his fourth league goal - anticipates the back pass and intercepts before slotting the ball past the keeper.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -2-grimsby

Bogle gets two more today (both goals vs Luton)
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

I think the real player to watch in league 2 was playing for Pompey today.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...