Pompey Vs Crawley (BFTG)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Pompey Vs Crawley (BFTG)

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I made my first visit to FP for the season.

the game started with Pompey pressing the game with all five midfielders hunting as a pack and pushing Crawley back and the high tempo was rewarded in the first twelve minutes with two goals. The first was from a brilliant pass from Lalkavoic into the path of Enda Stevens breaking into the box. Stevens fired the ball across the six yard area and Main broke towards the ball in front of his defender and swept the ball home.

The high press then produced the second goal about four minutes later when Crawley were trying to play the ball out from the back and were caught in possession just outside their own box and the ball broke free to Roberts who whipped the ball into the far left side of the goal and around the keeper.

Pompey continued to press and look the more threatening team - the key for me was that Pompey were nearly always first to win the 50:50 balls and to hunt the ball down when not in possession. The midfielders were simply wanted to win the ball more than Crawley's.

Pompey got their deserved third in the 37th minute when Lalkovic cut in from the left and took a shot that Crawley's keeper managed to simply palm up for Main who was following in to volley home from 5 yards out.

The 2nd half didn't have the same intensity of the first half but Crawley never really looked like scoring. Chaplin came on for Main, Naismith for Roberts and with ten minutes to go Smith came on for Lalkovic. Chaplin hit a marvel of a cross from the inside left position that skidded along the six yard area - the skill of the cross took Main and the Crawley defence by surprise; it deserved a goal. Chaplin also sent Smith through from the halfway line (excellent effort from Smith to stay on side) and Smith trundled through to the edge of the box (slightly to the right hand side) before shooting low and hard ......and just wide of the left post. He did well to get to the edge of the box and shoot but he should have at least worked the keeper.

I thought that Burgess was excellent, winning everything in the air and looking very assured in building the play from the back. Davies looked very good next to him too. Enda Stevens and Gareth Evans were excellent at the wing back positions and Cook said after the game he thought they were the MoM. I tend to agree.

There was a completely bizarre moment in this game when during the first half Main hunted the ball back and was working his way back to his midfielders (and past two challenges) before being felled by the third challenge just inside Pompey's half. A clear foul on Main, indeed, the Crawley player who fouled him got up and ran back towards his goal along with his colleagues. The referee then ran up and pulled out a yellow card and I thought that was a little harsh on the Crawley player but perhaps deserved after 3-4 fouls from him. Things then got weird because the ref awarded the free kick to Crawley and booked Main: presumably for diving......worst yellow card decision I have seen in years. Even the Crawley players looked stunned!!

All in all this was a good performance against an average side who were quickly overwhelmed by the energy and pressing game of Pompey to start the game and once Main had opened the scoring after 8 mins then Crawley had to come up and try and chase the game and that just played straight into Pompey's hand. Good three points, three wins now on the bounce in the league and a home game next week Vs Wycombe to look forward to. Pompey climb up to 4th in the table and are not only 2pts from top.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -0-crawley?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Pompey Vs Crawley (BFTG)

Post by Selsey Bill »

Due to holiday commitments this was my first visit too and pretty much completely agree with your report. Can't believe people were calling for Paul Cook's head about three weeks ago :roll: This was as clinical a performance as I've seen from a Pompey team for many a while. Outstanding players for me were Lalkovic and Rose, followed closely by Davies who, as you reported, took one for the team! If that had been Barton he would probably have flinched out of the way and we might not have kept a clean sheet. The other significant factor for me was the pairing of Doyle and Rose - after only a few games they look more comfortable together than Doyle and Hollands ever did. It pains me to say that Lalkovic is also an improvement on Bennett, and as for Forde in goal, whilst he was not tested much today, he looks so calm and composed and that rubs off on the back four - he's different gravy to what we have been used to. Paul Cook obviously hasn't got a clue what he is doing #cookout
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Good reporting, chaps - with cogent and carefully considered comment that made it all the more reasoned. The pressing game is a tough game to play consistently and it'll be interesting to see if they have the legs to continue this down this path, week in and week out.....

Once again, Chaplin proves the kind of player that makes things happen - I wish Cook would have the nous to use him from the start on a few occasions, rather than as a shock troop for the last 20 minutes.......the next thing to attain will be consistent performances. But well done on an improved performance at FP!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Selsey Bill wrote:Due to holiday commitments this was my first visit too and pretty much completely agree with your report. Can't believe people were calling for Paul Cook's head about three weeks ago :roll: This was as clinical a performance as I've seen from a Pompey team for many a while. Outstanding players for me were Lalkovic and Rose, followed closely by Davies who, as you reported, took one for the team! If that had been Barton he would probably have flinched out of the way and we might not have kept a clean sheet. The other significant factor for me was the pairing of Doyle and Rose - after only a few games they look more comfortable together than Doyle and Hollands ever did. It pains me to say that Lalkovic is also an improvement on Bennett, and as for Forde in goal, whilst he was not tested much today, he looks so calm and composed and that rubs off on the back four - he's different gravy to what we have been used to. Paul Cook obviously hasn't got a clue what he is doing #cookout
totally agree with your comments - I actually think the energy of Rose was rubbing off on Doyle, they seem to feed off each other's intensity and effort.

Forde had very little to do but he just seemed supremely confident and when Crawley had the free kick on the edge of the box and whipped in a dangerous cross he just stepped out and punched it 30 yards. Just what you want in a moment of tension!

The plus is that Rose and Lalkovic add movement, energy and creativity to the midfield the minus is that neither will add height. We looked quite small in midfield compared to the athletic behemoths Crawley seemed to pack in there and I was pleased the weather held off until the last 20 mins when the game was already very much over.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/arti ... 89671.aspx?

Cook is delighted.

Really pleased to hear that the players are buzzing after that win.

There are some tricky fixtures to come in October but I always felt August was a tougher start to the season than people may have thought and that September gave Pompey the chance to get on a roll and power themselves into a strong position in the early table (in the first ten games)
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote: Once again, Chaplin proves the kind of player that makes things happen - I wish Cook would have the nous to use him from the start on a few occasions, rather than as a shock troop for the last 20 minutes
No disrespect Pomp, but your comments are complete gobbledegook! We were brilliant today, and the job was well and truly done before Chaplin had even had his breakfast. In fairness to you, he did put in one very good cross, and a lovely pass to Smudga that he should have scored from, but we'd already witnessed similar for the previous 70 minutes from all concerned.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

A quick word about a player I view as an unsung hero for us - Enda Stephens. He seems to be man of the match every game for me, so reliable in both defence and attack. I'll be very surprised if some good Championship teams aren't watching him.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:A quick word about a player I view as an unsung hero for us - Enda Stephens. He seems to be man of the match every game for me, so reliable in both defence and attack. I'll be very surprised if some good Championship teams aren't watching him.
+1. Simply outstanding & robbed their RM all game & gets forward so effectively. Could be Cook's best signing overall imo.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:
pomp 'n circumstance wrote: Once again, Chaplin proves the kind of player that makes things happen - I wish Cook would have the nous to use him from the start on a few occasions, rather than as a shock troop for the last 20 minutes
No disrespect Pomp, but your comments are complete gobbledegook! We were brilliant today, and the job was well and truly done before Chaplin had even had his breakfast. In fairness to you, he did put in one very good cross, and a lovely pass to Smudga that he should have scored from, but we'd already witnessed similar for the previous 70 minutes from all concerned.
I thought Crawley had their best spell of control in the ten minutes after Chaplin came on as we struggled to make him an outlet.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

pompeygunner wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:A quick word about a player I view as an unsung hero for us - Enda Stephens. He seems to be man of the match every game for me, so reliable in both defence and attack. I'll be very surprised if some good Championship teams aren't watching him.
+1. Simply outstanding & robbed their RM all game & gets forward so effectively. Could be Cook's best signing overall imo.
totally agree - I thought he was superb. We've had some really good left backs over the years but I think Enda Stevens is up there with any of them.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

+1 to the Enda Stevens fan list. A LB who can defend properly and is a major contributor in attack. I sometimes think he is overlooked because he is too good, and makes it all look too easy. I don't believe there is a better LB in the division.

However, my MOTM was Gareth Evans. To be thrown in at short notice and made to play out of position against one of the fastest attacks in the division was not easy and he handled himself well. I think he is a real option in that position when playing against teams who are only going to defend as he offers a lot in attack. So far, I am not a fan of Talbot, and would rather take the defensive risk with Evans.

Other plus points include Davies, who looked solid alongside Burgess. He is a no nonsense defender of the type we have sometimes lacked in L2. Also, Forde, about whom I had my doubts, but has a real presence and calm about him and seems to have made a real difference.

It seems to be odd to talk about defenders when we have won 3-0, but as they say, offence wins matches, defence wins championships. Three goals conceded in six games is a base for any good team.

Just on the bizarre Main booking, referees really need to ask themselves why a player is diving before booking them. Main didn't exactly have the ball under control, but was going to get the next touch, he was just in his own half facing backwards with plenty of cover around him, and there was no way the Crawley defender was going to get booked for a foul; so why on earth would he dive? He might of clumsily tripped over his own feet, but never a deliberate dive. The referee needed to give this some more thought.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:
I thought Crawley had their best spell of control in the ten minutes after Chaplin came on as we struggled to make him an outlet.
This, as has happend in all the previous times this tactic has been employed. I wouldn't like us to try it at 1-0 up.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Completely agree about Enda. Definitely the best LB in L2 and he always plays well. In the second half yesterday he was exceptional. Whilst Ben Davies won numerous awards last season, I though Enda was the better player overall.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:
Hmmm, were they ever in control?? Not for me. We created some superb chances through counter attacking in the 2nd half, & of course Chaplin produced a sublime 1st time low cross that just needed a tap in. And defenders are constantly back peddling when he's on the pitch.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

pompeygunner wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:I thought Crawley had their best spell of control in the ten minutes after Chaplin came on as we struggled to make him an outlet.
Hmmm, were they ever in control?? Not for me. We created some superb chances through counter attacking in the 2nd half, & of course Chaplin produced a sublime 1st time low cross that just needed a tap in. And defenders are constantly back peddling when he's on the pitch.
It was, from my advantage point, a ten minute spell where Crawley controlled the ball and whenever we push the ball forward, it was coming back quickly. Eventually we adjusted.

Crawley had their moments throughout the game but made bad decisions or lacked composure at the vital point. Their 21 had a lot of pace and did Evans a couple of times and found himself in the box but couldn't exploit it. That chance a couple of minutes into the game was a good one and Forde was helpless had the shot been accurate. They also had a couple of decent chances when they went two up top.

Deserved win but they caused some problems.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.