School

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: School

Post by pompeygunner »

portchesterblue wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:No, it's not better for the kids than being in school. However, isn't that the parents fault, rather than the school?
So its the parents fault that as was pointed out the uniform is incredibly expensive?? If thats what you meant then I find it your statement completely unjustified.
Its ok having rules but rules that segregate those that have & those that simply cannot afford are begging to be broken by cheaper options.

Ref the idea that you have to take your coat off @ a certain point etc-wtf. If it was a military style academy then fine, if not the reality is it sounds very heavy handed. I'm all better discipline @ schools but that horse bolted long long ago & it all sounds a bit purile to me.
By all means have an affordable uniform that is adhered to but lets not hammer people who are not as well off & stuff the stupid rules off removing coats @ a point. FFS let the pupils @ least think for themselves.
I am playing devils advocate here, but surely a uniform is a uniform. I agree that they shouldn't just cane people with going for "agreements" with certain shops which end up with incredibly expensive uniforms. but if you are told that the uniform is dark grey trousers, surely that's what you should get. the idea of a uniform is that the pupils look just that, uniform, if they all get slightly different they might as well not have a uniform at all.

In terms of getting excluded for it, once ok, but if you are repeatidly being excluded for it I am sorry but that really is the parents being complete t**ts. all schools cater for people who cant afford things and will work something out.
But they do try & cane people, as I said earlier threats were made to inspect labels @ my sons old school (Crofton). I mean thats just crackers. The simple reality is that a lot of times the tie in with firms who are the only ones where you can buy uniforms is often very expensive & tbh a bit of a racket. So I'm all for the stuff it I'll get it from asda, tesco example & why not if you're financially struggling. Which a lot of parents invariable are with mortgages & bills to pay.
I agree about the correct type of shoe, & length of skirt etc. But once you start on the wrong shade of grey when the difference is slight then I lose sympathy.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: School

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

portchesterblue wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Good grief...this board gets more curmudgeonly by the hour!
Y'all seem to be on the "do what yer told, when yer told and don't question it " side of things.

A healthy disrespect for authority and a willingness to challenge the rules is a good thing imo
so if your kids get excluded from school you would be happy ??
Well...it would depend wouldn't it. Breech of uniform code.... where this thread has moved to..... would be largely my / my kids fault. But the original post by mtb seems to suggest that kids should always do what teacher says and parents should back up the kids teacher...well..i'd certainly disagree with that. As an example, the assistant head at my comprehensive school was very much a Jesus guy.....I should have followed his direction on that???....I think not!
Div III. Call it what it is.