Presidential Election

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Presidential Election

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

past memories wrote:Does it all make any difference, when at the end of it all, the electoral college makers the final decision, so that even if one candidate gets more votes, the other can get in. Which to my mind is a fix. I don`t know why they go through the rigmarole of a years hustings, when the individual votes count for nothing.
On four occasions, most recently in the 2000 presidential election, the Electoral College system has resulted in the election of a candidate who did not receive the most popular votes in the election.
Well....not really...the rules are plain in who they have to vote for. Imagine the alternative...250 million people vote and 1 candidate wins by 1000 votes......you'd never be able to accurately recount 250 million votes to anyone's satisfaction. In the Al Gore case, only Florida was close enough to have to undergo the intense recount required as I recall. It is true that most all States assign their electoral college votes on a winner take all basis rather than a Proportional basis.....but that's up to each state and the voters could change that by referendum if they wished. As far as I know, even the 1 or 2 States that apportion college votes do so based on victories in congressional districts and still don't apportion on a true PR basis.....I stand to be corrected on that last point though.

I wont point out that not a single one of y'all voted for Theresa May as your leader!
Div III. Call it what it is.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

You`re right that no one voted for May, but then you know that no one has ever voted for a prime minister, other than the elected MP`s, that only Tory of course.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Got my mail in ballot today.
Jeeves!.....fetch the blindfold and the dartboard!
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Very good point - I'd not thought of it that way.
past memories wrote:You`re right that no one voted for May, but then you know that no one has ever voted for a prime minister, other than the elected MP`s, that only Tory of course.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: I wont point out that not a single one of y'all voted for Theresa May as your leader!
Absolutely true, Mr The Kid.....but it was such a profound relief to be rid of that idiot Cameron that I didn't really care who replaced him.

She has further enhanced herself in my good books by ridding the front bench of that other incompetent pustule, George Osborne.

Whether I'll feel as warmly about her appointment once the joy of those two being dispatched out of harm's way has worn off I'm not sure.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Earl Grey wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: I wont point out that not a single one of y'all voted for Theresa May as your leader!
Absolutely true, Mr The Kid.....but it was such a profound relief to be rid of that idiot Cameron that I didn't really care who replaced him.

She has further enhanced herself in my good books by ridding the front bench of that other incompetent pustule, George Osborne.

Whether I'll feel as warmly about her appointment once the joy of those two being dispatched out of harm's way has worn off I'm not sure.
Yeah..its interesting stuff and I'm not going to debate the merits of the US system vs the Bwitish Parliamentary system. I'm trying to conceive of a way that a maverick / outsider a la Trump, but perhaps a more palatable version...could win a leadership role in Bwitain. Is it even possible? Could say a Richard Branson make a run?
past memories
Kev the Kitman

Post by past memories »

Anyone can be on the election paper, if it`s one of the big parties he or she will have to be selected by the local association, or in the case of a maverick, have enough money to lose in the way of the deposit.
As regards the leadership, that is as the same as has already been explained, also goes for the other positions, they are selected by the parties leader.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I'm not quite sure how two such unworthy contenders ever got so far down the road to the point where it's one or the other.

Still, I'm secretly (well, not so secretly) hoping Trump gets the nod because it would make life interesting after Obama's rather less than popular final term at the helm.

I think this is why Theresa May put Boris Johnson into the Foreign Office - because it'd be a bit of a laugh and distract from what everyone else was doing.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
past memories
Kev the Kitman

Post by past memories »

Earl Grey wrote:
I think this is why Theresa May put Boris Johnson into the Foreign Office - because it'd be a bit of a laugh and distract from what everyone else was doing.
I think it`s more likely the fact that he speaks several languages.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:

Yeah..its interesting stuff and I'm not going to debate the merits of the US system vs the Bwitish Parliamentary system. I'm trying to conceive of a way that a maverick / outsider a la Trump, but perhaps a more palatable version...could win a leadership role in Bwitain. Is it even possible? Could say a Richard Branson make a run?
I'd argue that it HAS happened (in fact, twice now) - just from the other side of the ideological fence. Leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn. Loved by a large chunk of the populous and elected on a platform of a change to the status quo
, and hated by over half of his own party for it.

Hes just not a raving, bigoted nutbag.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."