Presidential Election

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 44 times

Presidential Election

Post by phat_chris »

Anyone else getting worried that enough Americans might be stupid enough to vote for Trump? Yes Clinton has a lot going against her but Trump is orders of magnitude worse. I suppose a simple analogy would be to ask if you would rather step in a pile of dog ****** (Clinton) or dive into a swimming pool full of week old festering cholora infected dog ****** (Trump).

How did it come to a situation where the leader of the most powerful nation in the world would be decided by which candidate is least disliked?
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Presidential Election

Post by RubiconCSL »

The best analogy I have seen is having to chose which type of cancer you'd like to have.

The lesser of two evils is still evil!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

sure the sexist racist tax evading megolamaniac that is trump cant do it??? can he ????

he has to have alienated himself from the vast majority of the American public by basically saying that he is a genius for evading and defrauding the tax system for years and years
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Trump is really the same phenom as Brexit.....a groundswell of people tired of politicos. He could win but I wouldn't worry too much. The press very much overblows his negatives and anyhow...people said the same things about B-movie actor and monkey sidekick Reagan who ended up doing a pretty good job.
Anyhow....I 'm fairly certain he doesn't want to win. If you had to invent a playbook of what not to say / do in the run in..... he's done it all.
I mean who gets into a fat-chick tweet war with Miss Universe?
Div III. Call it what it is.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Trump is really the same phenom as Brexit.....a groundswell of people tired of politicos. He could win but I wouldn't worry too much. The press very much overblows his negatives and anyhow...people said the same things about B-movie actor and monkey sidekick Reagan who ended up doing a pretty good job.
Anyhow....I 'm fairly certain he doesn't want to win. If you had to invent a playbook of what not to say / do in the run in..... he's done it all.

the fact he has got anywhere near this stage of the proceedings does prove that that the American political system is all about how much money you can throw at it
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

portchesterblue wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Trump is really the same phenom as Brexit.....a groundswell of people tired of politicos. He could win but I wouldn't worry too much. The press very much overblows his negatives and anyhow...people said the same things about B-movie actor and monkey sidekick Reagan who ended up doing a pretty good job.

the fact he has got anywhere near this stage of the proceedings does prove that that the American political system is all about how much money you can throw at it
Well...yes and no.....normally yes but in this case Trump has had largely a free ride and gets so much press coverage for free because everyone is waiting for the next outrageous thing he might say. He was well outspent by most of his Republican rivals in the primaries. Bush for instance spent shedloads to get nowhere.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Here's an interesting side bar to this story for y'all....I swear I am not making this up:

Sgt Kid is finishing up his degree in Journalism at University of Cincinnati.
He has a paid journo job for a local TV station and an unpaid intern job for the local rag.

He gets sent to cover a local Trump rally and is there most of the day interviewing people lined up to get in.
He gets 30 ish on camera interviews from a mix of people that support Trump and are relatively sensible.
He gets 2 on camera interviews from borderline whack jobs one of whom starts shouting and cursing at the press (Trumpies don't like the press) and the other...a rather nice, presentable elderly lady who thinks Obama still hasn't shown his Birth Certificate.

Guess which 2 interviews make the evening news and which 30 are on the cutting room floor?
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Went to see Al Murray The Pub Landlord last Friday at the New Theatre Royal. His view was that Americans have a choice between a shaved orang-utan in a suit and the aunty that you never want to write a thank you letter to.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

One thing is fer sure....this whole process has awakened Americans to how utterly corrupt our govt is. We are no better than most of Africa....we're just better at it. This is where Trumps support comes from....its pretty much "Anybody but a politician please" .....his own issues of tax avoidance and buying political favors simply enhance his position as "the best guy to fix a rotten system" ...because he's been exploiting it for 25 yrs.
If you take away the perception that he's a dangerous temperamental fly off the handle type with his finger on the nuclear button.....and I think this is very much overblown by the press and the opposition.....then maybe its an experiment America just needs to have.
After all...there are simply too many checks and balances in the US system to enable the President to obliterate random countries because he's having a bad day. I'm not going to vote for him but I'm actually dying to see him give it a shot.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric

Post by phat_chris »

Is the best person to fix a broken system someone who has exploited it and would no doubt want to continue to exploit it?
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

portchesterblue wrote:sure the sexist racist tax evading megolamaniac that is trump cant do it??? can he ????

he has to have alienated himself from the vast majority of the American public by basically saying that he is a genius for evading and defrauding the tax system for years and years
What he has done is use the legal loopholes available to him in the business world, and I am sure many other businesses have used the same strategy. The IRS in all these years has not claimed him to have defrauded the system. Would you offer to pay more tax than you have to? Surely, it is the Government's job to create laws that stop these loopholes - however, over 20 plus years (more like double that), many have failed to do so and worse, not even tried.

What is not mentioned is:
1) The New York Times, or whatever paper printed Trump's tax return, did so illegally and yet nothing is being done to look into this. Freedom of the press does have to obey law.

2) Hilary Clinton has used political loopholes to build vast wealth through the Clinton Foundation including the donations given to the Foundation by individuals / companies and countries who later received beneficial treatment from the State Office..... and I wonder what the same would do from the White House.

The left are running on trashing Trump, as much on hearsay as facts, and the facts have been taken grossly out of context; while Trump keeps bringing back the fact that more of Hilary brings on more of what is happening now - and America doesn't need that.

I may not like Trump, but have a deep dislike of Hilary Clinton's motives are.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

If trump does get in it may make the exchange rate better than awful again though.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Thing with Trump is everyone is wetting their pants that if he gets in he'll build walls everywhere, shoot Muslims on sight and declare war on a selection of nations but the truth is the President rarely gets to do anything too radical.

Obama bust a gut to reform gun laws but got nowhere.

I think it wouldn't be the disaster everyone predicts should he prevail.

Indeed Clinton may turn out to be more of a wrecking ball on the good ol' U.S. of A.

Should be fun to watch the votes being counted....some might describe it a lose lose situation.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

What makes it sadder is when the 'third party candidate' Gary Johnson, puts out a campaign purely on not being Trump or Clinton.... and only gets 8% of the vote.

The one time when most people complain about the two candidates.... the alternative cannot come up with anything new and inspiring.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric

Post by phat_chris »

uspompeyfan wrote:What makes it sadder is when the 'third party candidate' Gary Johnson, puts out a campaign purely on not being Trump or Clinton.... and only gets 8% of the vote.

The one time when most people complain about the two candidates.... the alternative cannot come up with anything new and inspiring.
If ever there was an opportunity for an independant candidate to win then this was it. Shame the only one putting his name forward is so clueless he'd actually be a worse choice.