England vs Whoever

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: England vs Whoever

Post by Portchester PFC »

I honestly can't get excited about England football anymore, after years of poor performances and qualifying for tournaments comfortably and in some cases easily, when we get to the main event we are absolutely shocking. I am saddened to say that i did not even bother watching the game Tuesday and the Malta game was painful enough in itself.

I will certainly watch the next game as it is against Scotland and regardless as that is a must watch as you would hope that given the rivalry it should raise their game to something acceptable and it is always nice to get one over on the Scots.

I think England football has for far to long been dominated by supposed premier league super stars who have continuously failed to deliver when they can deliver for their club, perhaps the difference is that during club games they are surrounded by some of the best players in the world, sadly this is not the case when in an England shirt. Coupled with a series our uninspiring managers and we have continuous failure at the national level.

We need to appoint a manager that has the balls to make changes, bin Rooney for a start and will inspire the players to achieve more, bring some passion back into the game and some pride as there has been none of that for a long time with England.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

the game was quite entertaining last night, because we were trying to let them score. We made so many mistakes at the back it was hilarious. Walcott shouldn't be on a football pitch let alone in an England shirt, he was woeful, I cant think of one meaningful thing he did, apart from go off and let townsend actually attack their left back.

I am not trying to defend rooney, and I agree that he should have been dropped, just because he is out of form at the moment, but the bashing he is getting is a bit unfair. how can the last 14months all be his fault ?? are there not 10 others on the pitch around him ??
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

portchesterblue wrote:the game was quite entertaining last night, because we were trying to let them score. We made so many mistakes at the back it was hilarious. Walcott shouldn't be on a football pitch let alone in an England shirt, he was woeful, I cant think of one meaningful thing he did, apart from go off and let townsend actually attack their left back.

I am not trying to defend rooney, and I agree that he should have been dropped, just because he is out of form at the moment, but the bashing he is getting is a bit unfair. how can the last 14months all be his fault ?? are there not 10 others on the pitch around him ??
I don't agree with the abuse Rooney is getting as that is bad for the whole team, also not blaming him for the recent form, but, he is the last of the so called golden era that produced the square root of F'all. I don't believe he is a positive influence in the team and should have been dropped some time back. When he was shifted into midfield at Manure i think that spelled the end of him as an England player and i don't think it has done him any favours as a club player either !

I just think the whole national team philosophy/mentality needs to change, and to be honest i am not sure how the FA do that, with the number of foreign players in the PL and Champs it is having a detrimental impact on the national side. A manager with raw passion would be a good start as at least they would ensure that the players on the pitch might not be the most skilful but at least you know you are going to get 100% out of them when they pull on the shirt. I till think a Stuart Pearce type in that role would be superb but sadly can't see if happening.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Portchester PFC wrote:
portchesterblue wrote:the game was quite entertaining last night, because we were trying to let them score. We made so many mistakes at the back it was hilarious. Walcott shouldn't be on a football pitch let alone in an England shirt, he was woeful, I cant think of one meaningful thing he did, apart from go off and let townsend actually attack their left back.

I don't agree with the abuse Rooney is getting as that is bad for the whole team, also not blaming him for the recent form, but, he is the last of the so called golden era that produced the square root of F'all. I don't believe he is a positive influence in the team and should have been dropped some time back. When he was shifted into midfield at Manure i think that spelled the end of him as an England player and i don't think it has done him any favours as a club player either !

I just think the whole national team philosophy/mentality needs to change, and to be honest i am not sure how the FA do that, with the number of foreign players in the PL and Champs it is having a detrimental impact on the national side. A manager with raw passion would be a good start as at least they would ensure that the players on the pitch might not be the most skilful but at least you know you are going to get 100% out of them when they pull on the shirt. I till think a Stuart Pearce type in that role would be superb but sadly can't see if happening.
Roy Keane ?

For me a MASSIVE YES !!!!!!
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Portchester PFC wrote:...but, he is the last of the so called golden era that produced the square root of F'all...
Whilst there was some overlap, Rooney was a bit later than the "golden generation", and I think this is why he gets stick as there is no-one else on whom we can pile expectation and apportion the blame.

As to the "golden generation" themselves, they regularly got England to tournament 1/4-finals and were often then a touch unlucky or went out to individual errors. I think we have to accept that this is, at present, the best that we can hope for from England.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

portchesterblue wrote:Walcott shouldn't be on a football pitch let alone in an England shirt, he was woeful, I cant think of one meaningful thing he did, apart from go off and let townsend actually attack their left back.
Townsend is another that should have started. He actually looked like he cared.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
portchesterblue wrote:Walcott shouldn't be on a football pitch let alone in an England shirt, he was woeful, I cant think of one meaningful thing he did, apart from go off and let townsend actually attack their left back.
Townsend is another that should have started. He actually looked like he cared.
he achieved more in 2 minutes than wallcott had done in the previous 60
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:...but, he is the last of the so called golden era that produced the square root of F'all...
Whilst there was some overlap, Rooney was a bit later than the "golden generation", and I think this is why he gets stick as there is no-one else on whom we can pile expectation and apportion the blame.

As to the "golden generation" themselves, they regularly got England to tournament 1/4-finals and were often then a touch unlucky or went out to individual errors. I think we have to accept that this is, at present, the best that we can hope for from England.
I don't totally agree with that this is the best we have got, we have some excellent players but they seem unable to perform for their country, whether this is confidence, nerves I have no idea, but we certainly have not had a manager to inspire them for ages, i think big Sam would have done that but he made a pigs ear of that chance through stupidity and greed.

I think the golden era is considered the first ten years after the millennium, Rooney featured in Euro 2004, WC 2006 and WC 2010 and was in the Euro 2008 team that didn't qualify i believe, so he had a good portion of that supposed golden era.

Results in major tournaments below, they only managed the quarters in half of these tournaments the others were poor, i think for me the biggest one was the WC 2010, the team that went to that tournament had so much potential on paper but they were absolutely shocking.

Euro 2000 - Didn't make it out of the group stages.
WC 2002 - Lost in quarter finals.
Euro 2004 - Lost in quarter finals on penalties.
WC 2006 - Lost in quarter finals on penalties.
Euro 2008 - Failed to qualify.
WC 2010 - Lost in second round.

I would say that the England Golden Era if golden at all was purchased in Ratners.

For me the England national team is years away from being a team that is respected and feared, i just can't muster up the enthusiasm with them anymore, having said that, if and when we score against Scotland in a few weeks time i will be jumping around the pub like a dinlo like the rest of them :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Pompey Penguin wrote:

I think what you've described is the era under Sven and personally I think that's about the strongest, most consistent period England have enjoyed since I've watched them - and I've been watching the national team for quite a while now. Three quarter-final appearances on the bounce all ending in defeats by fine margins. A world cup win against Argentina, a 5-1 win against Germany in Munich. I don't know why Sven's time isn't thought of more fondly. Since then performances in major tournaments have really dropped. So I guess relatively speaking it was a "golden generation" playing between 01-06.