Chaplin signs contract extension

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Chaplin signs contract extension

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37728193

Portsmouth striker Conor Chaplin has signed a new one-year contract extension with the League Two club.

Chaplin, 19, has agreed on a deal which will keep him at Fratton Park until the summer of 2019.

He made his senior debut in December 2014 against Accrington and has netted three league goals so far this season for manager Paul Cook's side.

"Hopefully I can score more goals to help this club climb back up the leagues," said Chaplin..
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Chaplin signs contract extension

Post by Selsey Bill »

The cynics will now say he'll be gone in the next transfer window, but I think this is a great bit of work by Catlin and Co at our club as it protects our interest in him, and if he does go sooner than later at least we should get a better return. I'd personally like to see the lad grow his career with us, but I appreciate he is an ambitious lad, and we all know money talks.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

+1
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

+2
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

+3
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

+4
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Selsey Bill wrote:The cynics will now say he'll be gone in the next transfer window, but I think this is a great bit of work by Catlin and Co at our club as it protects our interest in him, and if he does go sooner than later at least we should get a better return. I'd personally like to see the lad grow his career with us, but I appreciate he is an ambitious lad, and we all know money talks.
I was not tempted to write +5 because this news deserves better than that for 2 reasons - firstly those that signed +1 through +4 scarcely enhance that news and have not really contributed to the debate and fall into the 'idle hounds' list!

Secondly, a good news story SB! I would concur that Catlin and co have made the right move and I hope he will grow his career with us - but that depends also on the performance of Paul Cook in securing automatic promotion. He has to prove that and he has to prove his worth during the next few months, both in man management and team selection. He has to deliver that - this is the team that he built and as such he has to lift the ante....no more platitudes about how unlucky they have been, he has after all said he needs a couple of years to sort out our fortunes! Stand and deliver that promise - no more naivety in shipping goals in the last minute, no more stats that say we has 20 shots at goal (10 on target) and the opposition had 4 shots at goal (1 on target) and sadly we lose 1-0. So Mr Cook, if you get automatic promotion then we shall be eternally grateful if you don't - football is a game that demands success and lack of success leads to a club statement which thanks him for his work for the club and by the way your P45 is in the post.....PUP
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Thanks for that Pomp. I can't speak for the other "idle hounds" but I merely wished to signify my total agreement with SB's comment, and was happy to leave it at that rather than come out with a rather meaningless load of pompous hot air.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:The cynics will now say he'll be gone in the next transfer window, but I think this is a great bit of work by Catlin and Co at our club as it protects our interest in him, and if he does go sooner than later at least we should get a better return. I'd personally like to see the lad grow his career with us, but I appreciate he is an ambitious lad, and we all know money talks.
So Mr Cook, if you get automatic promotion then we shall be eternally grateful if you don't - football is a game that demands success and lack of success leads to a club statement which thanks him for his work for the club and by the way your P45 is in the post.....PUP
Tempted just to write +1. However, I will write a little more.

As PnC says, it's Paul Cook's chosen team. Losing two successive home games at this stage of the season is not good enough in my opinion.

We have been too long in D2. Either PC delivers results consistently and soon or we have to find another manager.

I would give Paul Cook until Christmas.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Milton End wrote:
I would give Paul Cook until Christmas.
I suspect that may be the board's position too.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Berkshire Blue wrote:Thanks for that Pomp. I can't speak for the other "idle hounds" but I merely wished to signify my total agreement with SB's comment, and was happy to leave it at that rather than come out with a rather meaningless load of pompous hot air.
+1 :twisted: :D
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.