OT - New Fiver

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

OT - New Fiver

Post by Earl Grey »

A veggie cafe has decided to refuse to accept the new fiver because it contains animal products.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-38184599

Now while I admire them for making a principled stand they have to be careful or they face criticism for any one of a hundred different reasons.

For example some packaging, paints, floor materials, poster materials etc. etc. that they currently use could possibly contain animal products.

The cynic in me says that they've spotted an angle to cheaply promote their cafe.....and boy did it work. It's on the Beeb's site!

Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: OT - New Fiver

Post by Portchester PFC »

So I could have a lovely big beef burger for lunch and with fresh bovine deposits on my hands go into their cafe and hand over a tenner and they would probably happily accept it.

This is complete nonsense, it's not as if they are serving the fivers to their customers is it.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Portchester PFC wrote:So I could have a lovely big beef burger for lunch and with fresh bovine deposits on my hands go into their cafe and hand over a tenner and they would probably happily accept it.

This is complete nonsense, it's not as if they are serving the fivers to their customers is it.
I agree. Do they serve customers who wear leather she's, handbags, wallets etc?

I would imagine the answer is yes.........
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I would agree with his Earlship - publicity stunt.

Whilst businesses can refuse to accept cheques, credit cards, ApplePay and the like, it is illegal to refuse to accept legal tender in settlement of a bill.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:So I could have a lovely big beef burger for lunch and with fresh bovine deposits on my hands go into their cafe and hand over a tenner and they would probably happily accept it.

I agree. Do they serve customers who wear leather she's, handbags, wallets etc?

I would imagine the answer is yes.........
I suspect the cafe owners would argue there is a difference between an individual's choice to consume meat (by)products, and a national institution producing something which includes meat byproducts.