NFL Play-offs 2017

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

NFL Play-offs 2017

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Its that time again. Starting with the wildcard weekend, we have

Raiders @ Texans
Lions @ Seahawks
Dolphins @ Steelers
Giants @ Packers

None of the four games are that predictable.

Without Derek Carr leading the Raiders, the Texans defence will pull them through at home in a low scoring game. Neither side looks like being able to achieve more than one and out in the post season.

The Seahawks are an unhappy camp but if they can get their play-off heads on then Russell Wilson et al will be too much for my Lions. I have a strange sense of optimism though so head and heart are split.

I just fancy the Dolphins to exploit the weaknesses of the Steelers defence and repeat their regular season win.

The Packers are on a roll and home field advantage will see them overcome the Giants. This is the best match-up of the weekend.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Re: NFL Play-offs 2017

Post by richisbradders »

Probably agree with the other three, but I think the steelers with brown and bell will be too much for the dolphins.

I'd like to think my Giants could win at lambeau field, but when they get on a roll they will be hard to stop. Even with the Giants defense.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Looks like a raft of home wins to me. I think homefield is a much bigger advantage in the NFL than in soccerball
Waiting for the much better week after this one.
Div III. Call it what it is.
pompeywight
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pompeywight »

Texans
Lions
Steelers
Packers
pompey and east cowes vics forever
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

pompeywight wrote:Texans
Lions
Steelers
Packers
+1 on all of these picks.

As has been said previously, the Raiders showed so much promise, but as a Cardinals fan, I've learnt from the 2014/15 season that you can't go into the play-offs with your QB3 and expect to get anything from the game. (Not that the Texans have much to boast about at QB!)

The two NFC North teams look strong, Packers at home won't be getting beaten by anyone in this round the way Rodgers is playing, and the Seahawks, (like the rest of the NFC West), have an O-Line that will topple in anything stronger than a stiff breeze, can see an 'upset' in this one.

Steelers started slow but are coming good at the right times to set up a visit to Arrowhead and my wife's Chiefs (Who are my team to support in this years playoffs).

In summary - Pats v Falcons Superbowl.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Thats Rich »

Have a feeling the Raider defence will step up and win a low scoring game against the Texans.
Steelers to beat the Fish.
My Packers to beat the Giants at a freezing Lambeau.
Seahawks defence to come through against the Lions although I would love an upset in this one.

The next round will throw up some great games apart from the Patriots walk in the park.

If the Packers do not win the Superbowl anyone but the Patricheats please.
Why always me!
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Raiders @ Texans
This season died like a typical Pompey play-off game when carr's leg broke. Even many loyal die-hards accepted the end of the road. When your QB goes down, especially when he has been the key to revival, the heart of the team goes..... However, this year has also been the season of the rookie QB, so maybe, knowing McCloin won't start will be the lift that the team needs. Raiders to win a surprise victory (just because I can't go against them).

Lions @ Seahawks
Seahawks all the way and it won't be close, sorry LiT. I love Century Link field and it is noisy. I saw this fixture in the regular season last year on a Monday night and thought the Lions threw it away. Pete carol is a play-off Maestro Coach and now you'll see the Seahawks playing good football and focused.

Dolphins @ Steelers
Another lopsided home win, as Steelers will stomp and roll over the fish. It will get ugly, quickly as Miami hate the cold, and boy will it be cold this weekend...especially if Oklahoma is in single digits.

Giants @ Packers
Can Aaron Rogers keep it going? Probably, but I am going against the grain and a Giants victory. Packers are banged up and if the Giants defense can hit Rogers, especially his hamstring, he might struggle. This game will be won at the line of scrimmage and Giants have an advantage there.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

uspompeyfan wrote:Raiders @ Texans
This season died like a typical Pompey play-off game when carr's leg broke. Even many loyal die-hards accepted the end of the road. When your QB goes down, especially when he has been the key to revival, the heart of the team goes..... However, this year has also been the season of the rookie QB, so maybe, knowing McCloin won't start will be the lift that the team needs. Raiders to win a surprise victory (just because I can't go against them).

Lions @ Seahawks
Seahawks all the way and it won't be close, sorry LiT. I love Century Link field and it is noisy. I saw this fixture in the regular season last year on a Monday night and thought the Lions threw it away. Pete carol is a play-off Maestro Coach and now you'll see the Seahawks playing good football and focused.

Dolphins @ Steelers
Another lopsided home win, as Steelers will stomp and roll over the fish. It will get ugly, quickly as Miami hate the cold, and boy will it be cold this weekend...especially if Oklahoma is in single digits.

Giants @ Packers
Can Aaron Rogers keep it going? Probably, but I am going against the grain and a Giants victory. Packers are banged up and if the Giants defense can hit Rogers, especially his hamstring, he might struggle. This game will be won at the line of scrimmage and Giants have an advantage there.
I think me agreeing with you 25% is a new record...
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

This Time Next Year wrote:
So, being wrong 75% of the time is about normal for you then :-) :twisted:
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Raiders @ Texans
My rose tinted specs tried to allow me to believe in miracles, as my Raiders were in their first play-offs since their last Superbowl appearance. The Texan defense grabbed the game by the short and curlies early on and never let the young QB settle. The only time Cook had any success was when he went no huddle and led the team down to a first quarter touchdown and reduce the deficit to 10-7. Apart from that it was one-way traffic and Houston deserved the victory. Cook will make a good back up for Carr next year when Raiders will get to the post season again.

Lions @ Seahawks
Detroit held it close for a while, but as I predicted, Seattle blew it open and it wasn't as close as the 20 point margin suggested, it could have been more. Detroit never settled at Century Link with the noise always making a big difference. Seahawks are built to be a play-off team and just use the regular season as practice.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

So my head was right re the Seahawks (there's always another year for that elusive Lions play-off win) and the Texans defence did the business as their stats suggested.

Ah Lions, its been a roller-coaster of a season. Almost but not quite.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pittsburgh go fishing with a B B gun as Antonio Brown and Le veon Bell both tag a brace of touchdowns to fry the Dolphins in a total blow out. This was the most one-sided game to date and will see a good match up at Kansas City next week as the two sides match up quite well.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

uspompeyfan wrote:
This Time Next Year wrote:
So, being wrong 75% of the time is about normal for you then :-) :twisted:
Nope, looks like I was right 75% of the time :)

(and lets be honest, my Lions pick was in no way biased or wishful thinking)

Picks for next round has to be:
Pats - And it won't even be close against a lacklustre Texans team, glad this one is scheduled for the graveyard shift over here.

The other three games I can see falling either way, but for the sake of fun, I'll have a go, not staking any sandwiches on it or anything though...

Chiefs - Steelers looked unstoppale on wild card weekend, by the Chiefs are a different beast to the Dolphins. I can see them capitalising on home field advantage and edging it by a small margin in a noisy Arrowhead, much to the delight of my Chiefs supporting wife.

Packers - I've not seen a lot of the Cowboys, but the little I have seen hasn't lived up to their hype (and results). Rodgers has hit the play-offs in the form of his life, and experience counts for a lot in these big games, so I will pick the visitors to triumph over the rookies. No doubt sealing the win with a hail mary.

Falcons - Another tough one to pick, but like the Packers, the Falcons ended the season on fire, and have a big advantage playing this one at home, or more specifically, not playing it in Seattle. Seahawks always produce in the play-offs, but it's irrelevant. I'm a Cardinals fan and therefore can't ever pick the Seahawks to win. Ever.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Looks like a raft of home wins to me.
richisbradders wrote:Probably agree with the other three, but I think the steelers with brown and bell will be too much for the dolphins.
4/4 for The Cincinnati Kid and richisbradders. :thumb

Divisional Weekend

Can the Falcons squeeze past the Seahawks? They finished the regular season with 4 wins (Rams, 49ers, Panthers, Saints) and have scoring power but a focused Seahawks are dangerous. Highest aggregate score of the weekend is a good possibility. I'm going with TTNY to say that Falcons sneak this.

Patriots to beat Texans. The only question is how long will the League's no1 defence keep it close. Maybe a quarter.

Homefield advantage to favour Chiefs over Steelers. This is a fun match-up which suggests four quarters of competitiveness. Its a close one and if either team gets a two possession lead then they'll hold off the chasing team.

Packers to upset the Cowboys. Aaron Rodgers is hot so all the elements of the Dallas team need to come together to overcome the Packer threat. Lots of pressure on Dak Prescott performing. Its a big ask.

Looking forward to this weekend.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

So long as the Seahwaks win the Superbowl , I'm not fussed .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"