Back from the game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Re: Back from the game

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Selsey Bill wrote:What is it about Pompey and being on TV? In recent times we have not fared well in front of the cameras. Anyway, I've seen quite a lot of us this season, home and away, and we are far better than we showed on Thursday night. I came away feeling that we let ourselves down badly, and just when we had the perfect opportunity to show people what we are capable of. That says something about some of our players to me. It was obvious in his post match interview that Cook felt the same way, using the word 'arrogance' about some of our players. I totally agree.

Personally, I think we'd be mad to remove PC right now. He should be given until the end of the season. If we get promoted, keep him, if we don't, let him go. Simples.
Glad you mentioned 'being on TV' and the fact that you felt that we let ourselves down badly. TV has that all embracing eye that doesn't allow any place to hide - it's all there for the audience to absorb - and it makes uncomfortable viewing! We are certainly worse than I thought we were - the defending was dreadful and at times comical (if you like black comedy!) I'm trying to find any part of our game that gave me any comfort - maybe the pass by Bennett to Naismith for our goal and a cracking finish. The Marquis goal on 4 minutes had our 2 centre backs a mile apart and the resultant header had Mr Forde glued to the goal line like a pillar of salt - absolutely no communication between the Burgess and Clarke and no call from our keeper. The second Donny goal looked good - certainly the shot was well hit, but watch Forde! The shot from 30 odd yards was actually straight at him and his reaction to the shot lamentable - it looked as though he took his hands away from the shot, rather then attempt to save it. And if you think I'm being unfair to Forde, my criticism of the team in general is even worse - I exempt Burgess despite the opening goal, he at least gave his all - but Clarke? Not blessed with any vision and surely Whatmough is a better option. The 2 fullbacks / wing backs - sounds promising doesn't it? But if you play that system then someone else has to track back to protect the flanks and any counter attack. Naismith was one of our better players, but quite honestly this is not a team that will gain us automatic promotion - and now talk of Akinfenwa? 'Send in the clowns, there have to be clowns' - so the Cook dynasty seeks the answer in the shape of a somewhat unsubtle battering ram!

Sorry peeps - I don't buy into the PC should stay till the end of the season, because it's too late to do anything else. He's lost the plot, he's lost the dressing room and his legacy is that even if he gets us to Division 1 via the Play Offs, he simply doesn't have the nous to take us any further, or the contacts to attract serious players rather than this strange mixture of non achievers that he has presented us with.....a fait accomplie and pretty porous one at that.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

If I had a pound for every time someone said we were going to sign akinfenwa, I may have enough to go to the cinema. He won't join.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

.Kat of the players signed in the summer were obviously going to be squad players. With the probable exception of Talbot and Main I don't think any of those signed and not playing were bought as starters.

We have put an entire new scouting network recently too.