Cook to Chesterfield speculation

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

Cook to Chesterfield speculation

Post by stefeni »

Bookies favourite according to the article but second favourite at 3/1 on odds checker

Neil Redfearn
6/5 2

Paul Cook
3 4

Gary Caldwell
3 5

Dean Holden
8 8

Justin Edinburgh
12 8

Jack Lester
14 14

Billy Davies
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb ... -1-7767847
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Cook to Chesterfield speculation

Post by RubiconCSL »

Has he had enough then? Or is this just because he came from there and it's his spiritual home? Who's then favourite to fill his boots and have another 2 years to "build a team"?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
stefeni
Interim Manager

Post by stefeni »

currently Neil Redfern on odds checker, but Cook on Skybet
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Interesting, if there is a formal approach we will actually get an indication of what our board really thinks about Cook. We need this sorted in the next few days either way.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Cant see it myself.. sinking ship there.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Always looks better on a CV if you jump before you're pushed.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Always looks better on a CV if you jump before you're pushed.
I guess it depends how confident Cook is of achieving promotion for us this season. If he misses out I am sure he is gone in the summer.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey Dave wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:Always looks better on a CV if you jump before you're pushed.
I guess it depends how confident Cook is of achieving promotion for us this season. If he misses out I am sure he is gone in the summer.
Completely agree.

Of course, we don't know if Cook will be offered the post at Chesterfield. But, if he takes it, this will say something about how he regards his prospects at PFC.

My own guess, for what it's worth, is that he will not go back to Chesterfield. There still has to be a fair chance of promotion for PFC - much better than going back up north to a struggling side. He likes to take risks and also remains confident of his abililties (rightly or wrongly).

But he still runs the strong risk of dismissal by PFC in the summer if we fail to get promoted..............
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Chesterfield seem to have ruled Cook out on Twitter. So we may not find out.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey Dave wrote:Chesterfield seem to have ruled Cook out on Twitter. So we may not find out.
Spoilsports :wink:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'd be amazed if either party were the least bit interested in each other. Not going to happen.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Selsey Bill wrote:I'd be amazed if either party were the least bit interested in each other. Not going to happen.
+1
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Milton End wrote:
Pompey Dave wrote:
Completely agree.

Of course, we don't know if Cook will be offered the post at Chesterfield. But, if he takes it, this will say something about how he regards his prospects at PFC.

My own guess, for what it's worth, is that he will not go back to Chesterfield. There still has to be a fair chance of promotion for PFC - much better than going back up north to a struggling side. He likes to take risks and also remains confident of his abililties (rightly or wrongly).

But he still runs the strong risk of dismissal by PFC in the summer if we fail to get promoted..............
Regarding PC's future, is it really that cut and dried? What if Pompey miss out on the automatic spot on goal difference and lose a play-off final on penalties. Are the club really going to then give him his P45? I know expectations are high but I'd hope the board look at the bigger picture. There are too many clubs hiring and firing managers too quickly.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Pompey Gary wrote:
Milton End wrote:
Pompey Dave wrote:
Completely agree.

Regarding PC's future, is it really that cut and dried? What if Pompey miss out on the automatic spot on goal difference and lose a play-off final on penalties. Are the club really going to then give him his P45? I know expectations are high but I'd hope the board look at the bigger picture. There are too many clubs hiring and firing managers too quickly.
Last season Cook stated that nothing less than promotion was acceptable, well, we never got promoted and it seems it was acceptable to him and others, it was always a bold/stupid statement to make, just paying lip service to the happy clappers.

If we have another year of the same with no promotion then personally i don't think it will be acceptable and the board have to make a decision.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Portchester PFC wrote:
Last season Cook stated that nothing less than promotion was acceptable, well, we never got promoted and it seems it was acceptable to him and others, it was always a bold/stupid statement to make, just paying lip service to the happy clappers.

If we have another year of the same with no promotion then personally i don't think it will be acceptable and the board have to make a decision.
Well woe betide the board if they do that and then make another appointment like Barker.