Cook's management of Chaplin

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Cook's management of Chaplin

Post by PakefieldBlue »

More talk today in The News from Cook about how Chaplin is "the best finisher outside the Premier League" (I'd imagine a few other clubs might argue with that!).

I can't decide if Cook has managed Chaplin incredibly well and protected him from burning out OR has flip-flopped in his approach to playing him which has meant that we've not got the best out of him.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Re: Cook's management of Chaplin

Post by POLPERO99 »

I dont think Cook has done that bad a job with Chaplin. Earlier in the season he faded out of games far too early and became frustrated I think.
The phasing him in and out of the team has been alright and kept him hungry I think . He looks that bit better every time he comes back although like all young players , he still spins too early and runs offside . However, there is an argument that says our midfielders are just not quick enough in picking the pass.
Not sure what else Cook could have done - Played him every game for 90 minutes ? I dont think that would have worked somehow .
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Cook's management of Chaplin

Post by Earl Grey »

Couple of mutually exclusive theories...

1. Cook might want to keep Chaplin for the rest of the season and so didn't want his goal-scoring feats to become too noticeable before the January transfer window to reduce pressure on the club to sell.

2. Cook may be keeping him from injury by not playing him much in order that he CAN sell him because a deal's already been struck on the understanding he's fit. Playing him against Orient proved his eye for goal and fitness to the prospective buyers.

Dodgy theories aside, I really have no idea why Chaplin hasn't been the first man on the team sheet every week but I'm just hoping he's still with us next season.

What a team we could've had if we'd been able to hang on to Wallace and Webster to go alongside the good youngsters we have already like May, Close, Oxlade-C, Whatmough, Chaplin etc.

Going back to the injury front I honestly thought Chaplin would have to go off after his first goal celebration against Orient. Things nearly went badly wrong as he fell awkwardly and looked out for the count!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.