The Next Two Games

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

The Next Two Games

Post by Earl Grey »

According to the stats we have a hard two games coming up.

Crawley away to a team who are a strong 5th in the table as far as home results are concerned.

Then we have Exeter at home who are the best away side in the division.

Look at the table split for home and away in the link below:

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england4

Pompey are impressively well balanced, equally adept at home or away as the table stands at the time of posting this.

OK, the home and away tables haven't been normalised to account for how many games have been played. Exeter, for instance, have played 14 games to Plymouth's 11 away from home but it's still an interesting analysis.
Home and away2.JPG
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: The Next Two Games

Post by Selsey Bill »

Why does this always seem to happen to us. No game seems to be easy! Crawley have won their last 4 home games.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Selsey Bill wrote:Why does this always seem to happen to us. No game seems to be easy! Crawley have won their last 4 home games.

I've noticed this as well. You see teams having awful runs of form but we never seem to get them when they're at their worst. We always seem to play teams when they have just hit a run of form or just got a new manager. It probably isn't that way but just seems like it.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Runs of good form (and bad form for that matter) always come to an end sooner or later. Always!

There are few things I enjoy more than popping someone else's balloon.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I went to Crawley last season. They were dire and (as I have a feeling I've heard before about our games) we should have bagged a hat full of goals. All they did well (and/or we did extremely badly) was to catch us off side all match long. It was a very boring 0-0 and they celebrated like they'd just won the league. So unless they have improved remarkably, I can't see why they look like a tough opposition.

They may well have won their last four games, but they were against teams currently in positions: 16, 18, 19 and 24.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

rumourmonger wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Why does this always seem to happen to us. No game seems to be easy! Crawley have won their last 4 home games.

I've noticed this as well. You see teams having awful runs of form but we never seem to get them when they're at their worst. We always seem to play teams when they have just hit a run of form or just got a new manager. It probably isn't that way but just seems like it.
Pompey couldn't beat Hartlepool at Fratton last month who were on a shocking run of away defeats and for good measure had been beaten 5-0 at the home the weekend before.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

I tend to agree with the earlier comments . Crawley, Exeter and all the teams below 8th or 9th are very , very average although Orient were by far the worst I have seen for a while. Lets stop building these teams up to be European Champions.If we want to be i nthe top three we have to go to places like Crawley and walk away with all three points.
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Pompey Gary wrote:
rumourmonger wrote:

Pompey couldn't beat Hartlepool at Fratton last month who were on a shocking run of away defeats and for good measure had been beaten 5-0 at the home the weekend before.
There you go , you've proved me wrong straight away. Told you it probably wasn't that way.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

RubiconCSL wrote:I went to Crawley last season. They were dire and (as I have a feeling I've heard before about our games) we should have bagged a hat full of goals. All they did well (and/or we did extremely badly) was to catch us off side all match long. It was a very boring 0-0 and they celebrated like they'd just won the league. So unless they have improved remarkably, I can't see why they look like a tough opposition.

They may well have won their last four games, but they were against teams currently in positions: 16, 18, 19 and 24.
I too went to Crawley last season. Let's not forget we had a perfectly good goal disallowed for an offside that was not.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Good point. I just wish we could have stayed onside for more than that nano-second in the 90 minutes.
Selsey Bill wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:I went to Crawley last season. They were dire and (as I have a feeling I've heard before about our games) we should have bagged a hat full of goals. All they did well (and/or we did extremely badly) was to catch us off side all match long. It was a very boring 0-0 and they celebrated like they'd just won the league. So unless they have improved remarkably, I can't see why they look like a tough opposition.

I too went to Crawley last season. Let's not forget we had a perfectly good goal disallowed for an offside that was not.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

<dj.> wrote:Runs of good form (and bad form for that matter) always come to an end sooner or later. Always!

Yes, we played Notts County when their run of bad form came to an end. That was nice.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
<dj.> wrote:Runs of good form (and bad form for that matter) always come to an end sooner or later. Always!

Yes, we played Notts County when their run of bad form came to an end. That was nice.
Hmm... I expect they enjoyed popping our balloon, then.