EoIn Doyle

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: EoIn Doyle

Post by Mickemo »

portchesterblue wrote:So who was batching and moaning when Harry re signed a whole team of his old boys???
All managers sign players they have worked with before ffs
Certainly not me Porchester....I rated Harry when he was our Manager !

Yes I accept that Managers will go to sign players they have worked with previously but PC seems to have taken this up a level or down actually based on some of the lazy prima donna's we've got playing for us at the moment (ED is the exception as he has only just arrived)

I take no pleasure from having a pop at PC but honestly I have just about run out of patience with him, as he persists with the same playing style approach, it didn't get us promoted last season (I can accept that as it was his first season) and its unlikely to get us promoted this season either. Yes its better than the dross from the two prior years but bottom line is its not good enough !

PUP
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Who are these lazy players? It certainly isn't Roberts who covers a silly amount of yards.

So a new manager comes in and he gets us promoted but he plays a more direct style what then? People hated Steve Cotterill yet he is the only manager on our slide not to have a relegation against his name.

The football we play now is light years ahead of the cross we were serving up under Awford and Whittingham. Why's it not good enough? Because we're not running away with the league? Why should we be? Cos we were once in the premier league? Because we get big crowds? Last time I looked football was 11 men v's 11 men.

Paul Cook has spent a few quid and apprently we have the biggest budget in the league but people said that last year and it was proven we didn't as Oxford ran up £7million yes £7millon quids worth of debt.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey1985 wrote:Who are these lazy players? It certainly isn't Roberts who covers a silly amount of yards.

So a new manager comes in and he gets us promoted but he plays a more direct style what then? People hated Steve Cotterill yet he is the only manager on our slide not to have a relegation against his name.

The football we play now is light years ahead of the cross we were serving up under Awford and Whittingham. Why's it not good enough? Because we're not running away with the league? Why should we be? Cos we were once in the premier league? Because we get big crowds? Last time I looked football was 11 men v's 11 men.

Paul Cook has spent a few quid and apprently we have the biggest budget in the league but people said that last year and it was proven we didn't as Oxford ran up £7million yes £7millon quids worth of debt.
The frustration is because we appear to have a squad that is capable of winning every game, and it's been assembled because we have a budget that is towards the top of the range of budgets for the division. We are punching below our weight.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

But I think (as Pompey1985 says), just because we "probably" have the most money coming in, doesn't mean we are necessarily spending most. We could simply be living within our means, whereas others perhaps have three or four credit cards maxed out. As was mentioned, Oxford racked up £7M of debt...in League Two ffs. If we did the same and it all went Pete Tong yet again, leaving us in L2 with debts, I don't think we'd be too happy. Having said that, it could also be that the manager has misspent his funds. Probably a bit of both to be honest.
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Who are these lazy players? It certainly isn't Roberts who covers a silly amount of yards.

The frustration is because we appear to have a squad that is capable of winning every game, and it's been assembled because we have a budget that is towards the top of the range of budgets for the division. We are punching below our weight.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

I truly hope we are living within our means, but that's not really relevant. Whatever the budget we are spending, it has assembled a squad that should be winning more than it is.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Totally agree, unless there are at least 6 other teams going well in to debt by spending more than us and more than they can afford - which I doubt to be the case. In which case, as you say, the team should be doing much better than they are and that can only come down to one person in the end I'm afraid. I very much doubt we have an Abramovich type chairman that is telling PC who to buy.
Locky_McLockface wrote:I truly hope we are living within our means, but that's not really relevant. Whatever the budget we are spending, it has assembled a squad that should be winning more than it is.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Its not good enough because as has been said already...given the funds that have been made available to PC during his tenure (39 signings wasn't it) we are punching below our weight...bottom line he has signed players that simply are NOT GOOD ENOUGH and he is responsible for that, or possibly nearer to to the truth he doesn't know how to get the best from them, either way the buck stops with PC.

I hope we go on a wining run and i'm made to eat my words here but I very much doubt it and thats why I'm so down
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Mickemo wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:
Its not good enough because as has been said already...given the funds that have been made available to PC during his tenure (39 signings wasn't it) we are punching below our weight...bottom line he has signed players that simply are NOT GOOD ENOUGH and he is responsible for that, or possibly nearer to to the truth he doesn't know how to get the best from them, either way the buck stops with PC.

I hope we go on a wining run and i'm made to eat my words here but I very much doubt it and thats why I'm so down
Who isn't good enough?
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Mickemo wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:

Who isn't good enough?

Based on our current league position - most of them to be frank
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Mickemo wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:
Mickemo wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:

Who isn't good enough?

Based on our current league position - most of them to be frank
I wouldn't say they aren't good enough (with a few exceptions) I would say we have managed to sign a lot of players who have been performing previous to signing for us (some/most at a higher level), then manage to mould them into distinctily average league 2 players.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I would be interested to hear what SB and other regular Pompey watchers think, but for my part I find it frustrating that we bought more players over the summer and yet to my eye the team is actually not as good as last season's. I realise that the latter included more loan players, which along with injuries cost us in the play-offs, but I would have expected the team to move forward in year two of the Cook reign. February last year I was confident that we would prevail if we ended up in the play-offs (wrong again!), but this year I would not class us as favourites if we even get that far.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Pompey Penguin wrote:I would be interested to hear what SB and other regular Pompey watchers think, but for my part I find it frustrating that we bought more players over the summer and yet to my eye the team is actually not as good as last season's. I realise that the latter included more loan players, which along with injuries cost us in the play-offs, but I would have expected the team to move forward in year two of the Cook reign. February last year I was confident that we would prevail if we ended up in the play-offs (wrong again!), but this year I would not class us as favourites if we even get that far.
Ricky Holmes, Ben Davies, Paul Robinson, Ryan Taylor, Andy barcham.

Should not have been let go.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

I agree with you on Robinson and Davies.

Ricky Holmes? Odd one, he wasn't showing anything like the form for us that he has shown since. With 20/20 hindsight, yes you're right, but based on his last few months with us, it was a reasonable decision to take.

Ryan Taylor? No different to Michael Smith as far as I can see.

I can't really comment on Andy Barcham, to be fair.

Are there any players recently who have really blossomed with us who were mediocre elsewhere? Can our players not handle the pressure of playing at Fratton?
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

richisbradders wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:I would be interested to hear what SB and other regular Pompey watchers think, but for my part I find it frustrating that we bought more players over the summer and yet to my eye the team is actually not as good as last season's. I realise that the latter included more loan players, which along with injuries cost us in the play-offs, but I would have expected the team to move forward in year two of the Cook reign. February last year I was confident that we would prevail if we ended up in the play-offs (wrong again!), but this year I would not class us as favourites if we even get that far.
Ricky Holmes, Ben Davies, Paul Robinson, Ryan Taylor, Andy barcham.

Should not have been let go.
brian lewis
Mickey Quinn

Post by brian lewis »

Locky_McLockface wrote:I agree with you on Robinson and Davies.

Ricky Holmes? Odd one, he wasn't showing anything like the form for us that he has shown since. With 20/20 hindsight, yes you're right, but based on his last few months with us, it was a reasonable decision to take.

Ryan Taylor? No different to Michael Smith as far as I can see.

I can't really comment on Andy Barcham, to be fair.

Are there any players recently who have really blossomed with us who were mediocre elsewhere? Can our players not handle the pressure of playing at Fratton?

There you have the problem in a nutshell
The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone else is trying to make you be somebody else