Stevenage v Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Stevenage v Pompey

Post by RubiconCSL »

Stevenage 15 shots vs Pompey 7. Stevenage 9 on target vs Pompey none on target! Speaks volumes.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

RubiconCSL wrote:Stevenage 15 shots vs Pompey 7. Stevenage 9 on target vs Pompey none on target! Speaks volumes.
Chaplin's penalty was definitely on target...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
CoshamWreck
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by CoshamWreck »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:Stevenage 15 shots vs Pompey 7. Stevenage 9 on target vs Pompey none on target! Speaks volumes.
Chaplin's penalty was definitely on target...
Yes it was on target but it failed the "shot" bit! :twisted:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Another bad day at the office. I don't blame Cook for trying 3 - 5 - 2 but I do blame him for not changing it when it was blatantly obvious within the first few minutes that it wasn't working. They had already 'scored' before they did actually score as I'm pretty convinced they had a shot cleared that had already gone over the line. They were completely dominating the game, especially in midfield where time and time again they cut through us far too easily. They are a very good side, but we made them look even better so why on earth PC didn't change the system at half time is beyond me. People are talking about how other results went our way, but I wouldn't be worrying about anyone else other than Stevenage who have an easier run in on paper than us. We have the added headache of burgess missing next Saturday's game. I'm now nervous!
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Selsey Bill wrote:Another bad day at the office. I don't blame Cook for trying 3 - 5 - 2 but I do blame him for not changing it when it was blatantly obvious within the first few minutes that it wasn't working. They had already 'scored' before they did actually score as I'm pretty convinced they had a shot cleared that had already gone over the line. They were completely dominating the game, especially in midfield where time and time again they cut through us far too easily. They are a very good side, but we made them look even better so why on earth PC didn't change the system at half time is beyond me. People are talking about how other results went our way, but I wouldn't be worrying about anyone else other than Stevenage who have an easier run in on paper than us. We have the added headache of burgess missing next Saturday's game. I'm now nervous!
Plus next Saturday's game is the dreaded "bogey" side Newport County. In three seasons since they have been back in the Football League we have not even scored a goal at Fratton Park against them let alone taken a point. 0-2 the first season , 0-1 the next and 0-3 last season. Please God let us reverse that trend next Saturday.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

rumourmonger wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Another bad day at the office. I don't blame Cook for trying 3 - 5 - 2 but I do blame him for not changing it when it was blatantly obvious within the first few minutes that it wasn't working. They had already 'scored' before they did actually score as I'm pretty convinced they had a shot cleared that had already gone over the line. They were completely dominating the game, especially in midfield where time and time again they cut through us far too easily. They are a very good side, but we made them look even better so why on earth PC didn't change the system at half time is beyond me. People are talking about how other results went our way, but I wouldn't be worrying about anyone else other than Stevenage who have an easier run in on paper than us. We have the added headache of burgess missing next Saturday's game. I'm now nervous!
Plus next Saturday's game is the dreaded "bogey" side Newport County. In three seasons since they have been back in the Football League we have not even scored a goal at Fratton Park against them let alone taken a point. 0-2 the first season , 0-1 the next and 0-3 last season. Please God let us reverse that trend next Saturday.
I know! Hence me being nervous, especially without Burgey.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

I would have gone to Stevenage with a tough no-nonsense defensive team that parked the bus and looked for a break-away. The pace of the game was always going to be up to them . If you play 3-5-2 then you must stay compact and slightly deep. After all , thats what teams have done to us at Fratton to great effect this season. Unfortunately we just dont have that in our locker. It also exposed some players for what they are , namely Hunt and Davies , as being very average squad players. There is someone on this Forum who never stops raving about Hunt (probably Mrs Hunt ) and how he should play every game . I think this now resolves this once and for all . I was sat near some Stevenage fans and at one point they were laughing at him .

Anyway onwards and upwards - Bring on Newport ! although like you others I have long, lingering and depressing memories of these encounters. I close my eyes and can still see Mr Mellor picking the ball out of the net .
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

POLPERO99 wrote:There is someone on this Forum who never stops raving about Hunt (probably Mrs Hunt )
Is it Huntski?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:Another bad day at the office. I don't blame Cook for trying 3 - 5 - 2 but I do blame him for not changing it when it was blatantly obvious within the first few minutes that it wasn't working.
But why try it with Tom Davies? With Whatmough maybe but....
....why try it away from home? It worked at Carlisle but with Jack.

I know we were missing Bennett and Naismith but surely we have enough quality in the squad to replace them adequately.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Earl Grey wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Another bad day at the office. I don't blame Cook for trying 3 - 5 - 2 but I do blame him for not changing it when it was blatantly obvious within the first few minutes that it wasn't working.
But why try it with Tom Davies? With Whatmough maybe but....
....why try it away from home? It worked at Carlisle but with Jack.

I know we were missing Bennett and Naismith but surely we have enough quality in the squad to replace them adequately.
That was what I couldn't understand. His preferred line up is 4-2-3-1. The two injuries were in the 3 so he brings in a defender and a forward and goes 3-5-2.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but why not Lowe and Chaplin in the 3 and keep the rest of the team unaltered.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

On a brighter note, I forgot to mention that Kabamba looked useful when he came on to replace Hunt. The latter needs to be brought on in a game, not started.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Selsey Bill wrote:On a brighter note, I forgot to mention that Kabamba looked useful when he came on to replace Hunt. The latter needs to be brought on in a game, not started.
That's good to know. Both Doyle and Chaplin strike me as being players who might benefit from playing off a taller striker.