American billionaire bids to take over Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Re: American billionaire bids to take over Pompey

Post by This Time Next Year »

Selsey Bill wrote:I could be wrong, but I seem to remember they were thinking of relocating Fratton Park to the old airport on the Eastern Road? Back in the 70's?
Not sure the residents of Anchorage Park would be too pleased if their homes were bulldozed to resurrect those plans...
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote:I could be wrong, but I seem to remember they were thinking of relocating Fratton Park to the old airport on the Eastern Road? Back in the 70's?
Yes, that's the first of many failed dreams of relocation that I remember. I think it was a John Deacon plan, but I don't think he ever had enough funds.

On the redevelopment question, does anyone have any reasonable and supportable estimate as to the cost of replacing one Fratton Park stand? For example, to demolish and replace the South Stand (which would seem the most urgent) or the North Stand (which would seem the only area for increased capacity).
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Yes, that's the first of many failed dreams of relocation that I remember. I think it was a John Deacon plan, but I don't think he ever had enough funds.

On the redevelopment question, does anyone have any reasonable and supportable estimate as to the cost of replacing one Fratton Park stand? For example, to demolish and replace the South Stand (which would seem the most urgent) or the North Stand (which would seem the only area for increased capacity).
Isn't the South stand a listed building?.....not sure it could ever be demolished and replaced?
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

uspompeyfan wrote:Following on from Cinci, the US model involves selling the seats in a stadium similar to real estate. Hence San Diego can move to a small 30K stadium and ,make a mint even if the seats remain empty. Often the city foots the bill as the financial benefits of having an NFL franchise for the local economy outweighs the initial cost of the new stadium.

I don't think Portsmouth CC are in that position as the support for that kind of investment over City development isn't there.
Also, the American model often involves taking a rise in city taxes to the voters (The Cincinnati model built 2 stadia for baseball and football using this method). I'm not sure the Bwitish taxation model allows for this method as y'all don't generally have a city income tax or city sales tax as I recall.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:

Isn't the South stand a listed building?.....not sure it could ever be demolished and replaced?
I thought it was, but I can't find any reference to that any more. Its definitely a Archibald Leach construction and there's very few of those left. Just our Soul Stand Tudor entrance, Craven Cottage and Ibrox I think.

Perhaps its been lifted now?
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

This Time Next Year wrote:
Not sure the residents of Anchorage Park would be too pleased if their homes were bulldozed to resurrect those plans...
The airport site was bigger than Anchorage Park. The industrial site at Broadoak is a suitable size.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Weybridge wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Isn't the South stand a listed building?.....not sure it could ever be demolished and replaced?
I thought it was, but I can't find any reference to that any more. Its definitely a Archibald Leach construction and there's very few of those left. Just our Soul Stand Tudor entrance, Craven Cottage and Ibrox I think.

I don't think it is listed - there's very little original left now according to Mike Saunders. It could be stripped back to its steel frame and refitted as a single tier stand (so covering the terrace paddocks). Obviously the Arts and Crafts entrance (not bl**dy mock-Tudor) and some of the signage extra can be protected and re-incorporated into a redeveloped South Stand.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Weybridge wrote:

Parts of Goodison Park too I believe?
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompey Gary wrote:
Weybridge wrote:

Parts of Goodison Park too I believe?
I think Everton might object to moving parts of their ground to FP n:-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Things are moving forward. 70 days exclusivity period, Trevor Birch appointed to lead for the club. Inner Circle said to be involved (serious players them). Just a bit exciting.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Club have just tweeted a statement about 70 day exclusivity to which Michael Eisner has just tweeted in response:

"Exciting times! Looking forward to coming over and meeting you all. Good luck against Newport County on Saturday!! #Pompey #PUP"
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Lost in Transportation wrote:Things are moving forward. 70 days exclusivity period, Trevor Birch appointed to lead for the club. Inner Circle said to be involved (serious players them). Just a bit exciting.
Yes, LiT. Exciting times.

I really think this bloke sounds like the real deal. There is little evidence that he's another Howe/Wolanin tyre-kicker.

But we still have to extract some clear fail-safes from him in case it all goes pear-shaped.

But I'm really motivated by this news. If it had been another European/Middle Eastern thing then I'd have been much more cautious but by all accounts Eisner is one of the good guys.

Let's give him every chance to declare himself and look at the deal with a welcoming, glass half-full attitude.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

In these negotiations can't we say "Right Mr Eisner, in order for you to take over Pompey you must a) pay for outright and build a new stadium which will be given to Pompey FC in perpetuity; b) make a £200m donation/gift to Pompey FC and, c) bequeath on your death all your Pompey interests to Pompey FC, etc. etc. You get my drift? If he really is interested, you know? No chance!! 8)
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Lost in Transportation wrote:Things are moving forward. 70 days exclusivity period, Trevor Birch appointed to lead for the club. Inner Circle said to be involved (serious players them). Just a bit exciting.
Hiya mate, knowing that your ear is closer to the boardroom door than most, that your knowledge of the finances is more intimate than mine and that your investigative prowess is legendary, I'm inclined to be swayed by your apparent optimism regarding this potential suitor. Let's see where the next 70 days take us, and what (if any) offer Mr Eisner makes at the end of that period, but I remain sceptical as to whether a deal that genuinely benefits the club's future, without exposing to potentially significant financial risk, can be secured. Regardless of how much of a 'good guy' he is, he's 75 years old and (like Markus Liebherr) he won't live forever.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Earl Grey wrote:
Yes, LiT. Exciting times.

I really think this bloke sounds like the real deal. There is little evidence that he's another Howe/Wolanin tyre-kicker.

But we still have to extract some clear fail-safes from him in case it all goes pear-shaped.

But I'm really motivated by this news. If it had been another European/Middle Eastern thing then I'd have been much more cautious but by all accounts Eisner is one of the good guys.

Let's give him every chance to declare himself and look at the deal with a welcoming, glass half-full attitude.
Eisner is a serious player in business. There's those that like him and those that criticise him (look up Disneywars on Amazon and use their look-inside option).

The key for the PST is building a new role which includes those fail-safes you mention. There needs to be a mechanism should the Eisner ownership go Pete Tong that the PST can step in. Continuing a scrutiny role is another fail-safe. Protecting Pompey's heritage and being the conduit that does consultation between the club and the fanbase are other things I would like to see established.