21st March - Big Night for Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: 21st March - Big Night for Pompey

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I am happy with the paly-off principle, but would like to see the semi-finals over just one leg, with the higher placed team being at home.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Wasn't it determined on goals scored rather than goal difference in that season? From that year on I've always thought that a fairer system would be for three teams to enter the play-offs, the top one going straight into the final.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey Penguin wrote:I am happy with the paly-off principle, but would like to see the semi-finals over just one leg, with the higher placed team being at home.
Definitely would be fairer, but I guess no club would want to turn down a guaranteed full house, plus tv rights.

I always liked the idea of 5th v 6th, winner plays 4th, then winner of that plays 3rd at Wembley.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think it was, yes. Hence my annoyance with only beating Rovers 2-1, when we should have scored double figures!
PakefieldBlue wrote:Wasn't it determined on goals scored rather than goal difference in that season? From that year on I've always thought that a fairer system would be for three teams to enter the play-offs, the top one going straight into the final.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I was thinking similar lines, only weighing it even more in favour of the teams further up.

6th v 5th at 5th's ground.
Winner of above vs 4th at 4th's home ground.
Winner of that vs 3rd at 3rd's home ground.

Furthermore, The away team has to win; a draw gives it to the home team.

So massively weighed in favour of the team in 3rd (as it should be). But the rest will still fight for the play offs for the same reason they do now. If 6th eventually does go up, then they can reasonably fairly say they earned it.
Weybridge wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:I am happy with the paly-off principle, but would like to see the semi-finals over just one leg, with the higher placed team being at home.
Definitely would be fairer, but I guess no club would want to turn down a guaranteed full house, plus tv rights.

I always liked the idea of 5th v 6th, winner plays 4th, then winner of that plays 3rd at Wembley.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

RubiconCSL wrote:
Weybridge wrote:

I was thinking similar lines, only weighing it even more in favour of the teams further up.

So massively weighed in favour of the team in 3rd (as it should be). But the rest will still fight for the play offs for the same reason they do now. If 6th eventually does go up, then they can reasonably fairly say they earned it.
Or even 4th place to Wembley and 5th, 6th and 7th play off to join them (3rd place go up automatically).

But yes, I agree that's far fairer when you think how some of the teams in the past who've just missed out have been so much ahead of the others, including Pompey's infamous fall from grace when Leicester + ref dumped us out. The side that doesn't deserve to be there always have the least pressure on them while the side that nearly got automatic promotion feel the most disgruntled and have the most pressure heaped upon them to rub salt into the wound.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Forget Wembley. I'd rather have home advantage any day. Know the ground, know the pitch, more home supporters than away etc.

Maybe even blindfold the away team :)
Earl Grey wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:
Weybridge wrote:

Or even 4th place to Wembley and 5th, 6th and 7th play off to join them (3rd place go up automatically).

But yes, I agree that's far fairer when you think how some of the teams in the past who've just missed out have been so much ahead of the others, including Pompey's infamous fall from grace when Leicester + ref dumped us out. The side that doesn't deserve to be there always have the least pressure on them while the side that nearly got automatic promotion feel the most disgruntled and have the most pressure heaped upon them to rub salt into the wound.