Pompey v Plymouth

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Pompey v Plymouth

Post by Earl Grey »

Worst case: Plymouth win, we get injuries, red cards (so suspensions), Luton up our at$es just 5 points away, Stevenage just behind, Plymouth virtually promoted and shoving it down our throats.

Best case: Pompey win, Luton/Stevenage go back a further 3 points from 3rd spot, party time on Monday at
Notts County.

Now if Luton and Stevenage both fail to make ground then even if we win Plymouth would be all but promoted just as we would so will it be a party atmosphere or are those wounds from last year too deep?

I'd like to think that we could let bygones be bygones but I think Plod will be busy after the game (and before probably).

Anyone dreaming of a scenario where we go up but Plymouth get caught had better forget it....no chance.
Last edited by Earl Grey on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Pompey v Plymouth

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Just to remind anyone who is going that it is a 2.30 pm kick-off.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

It's still possible to catch Plymouth, especially on our current form. However, Plymouth will be more than happy with a draw and maintaining the 4pt lead. So I can see them setting themselves up for a 0-0 and maybe hoping to catch us on the break. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world for us, even if Luton and Stevenage win. We'd still be 6pts ahead with only four to play and have that superior goal difference.

Having said that, I'd love to beat them - convincingly. 1pt behind them would then make the last four games a bit interesting.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

RubiconCSL wrote:So I can see them setting themselves up for a 0-0 and maybe hoping to catch us on the break.
Plymouth have an excellent away record, and on limited viewing I think this is how they do it. They will be solid defensively and look to score from a set piece or similar opportunity (if not exactly on the break). I expect us to have lots of ball, but struggle to create much, and our defence will have to be strong, especially in the air.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Bradley from a set piece us their modus operandi of chouce. He has 7 goals this season from corners/free kicks. Our central defenders need to get all over him.
Vince
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I think we will be too strong for them, they will certainly take some breaking down so everyone will need to be patient but I believe we will win comfortably in the end, 3-1.

I think we will also finish above them, they will have another little wobble, especially after this weekends result.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey will have done their homework. Carey is their key player who has not being playing that well, but give him a set piece and his accuracy is sublime. They have struggled to find their best team. The two central defenders as we know are big b*stards but with the turning speed of an oil tanker. Chaplin & Bennett scared the life out of them at Home Park with their pace & trickery. They will come to defend and try and catch us on the break. We need to keep the ball on the ground spread it wide, get behind their Full Backs and give it to Naismith as much as possible.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Should be a cracking atmosphere - a game I am really looking forward to. I watched the Doncaster v Plymouth game on TV a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure Cookie and our team did too. Plymouth are nothing special, but they defended resolutely and inflicted Donny's first home defeat of the season - a 1-0 win courtesy of a late Sonny Bradley header. Clarke and Burgess will have to be at their best to contain him. If we could could score an early goal, I suspect it will be a cracker and could end up 2-2 or 3-3 as they will have to come at us. Player for player we are better than them. I take us to nick it 2-1 or 3-2. 8)
pafcprogs
Collins Mbesuma

Post by pafcprogs »

Greetings from a green interloper...

Just some thoughts from our side...

First of all, all we really care about is a promotion out od this god awful division..and I am sure you feel the same...I also judge who I want to be promoted by proximity to where I am exiled ( in Kent) so whilst I would have preferred Crawley you'll do!

Second of all we think this is a freebie for us...if you win you still don't catch us and we likely go up on Monday....if we draw then the same applies....if we win then it's gravy time puts some pressure on Donny re the title ( although I think that is gone) especially if they perform with hangovers at Colchester.

As for the rivalry, meh....you don't really care about us except when you play us and vice versa....Battle of the Ports, Dockyard Derby is all Skyspeak...you probably figure you owe us one for last season but I think there are only three players in the team who played in that game for us so I doubt there is much player animosity....we probably dislike McWho now than you after he stuffed us to go and ply his trade in Motherwell after agreeing to re-sign.

As for the game, well we will sit back and soak it up....and unless you get two up that won't change...our big difference this season is we have a decent game changing bench and some pace.

We haven't conceded more than two away from home this season in any game....it's at home we leak like a sieve....and the longer it goes without you scoring the more chances we will likely get on the break....it isn't pretty but if it gets us up we can total football our way out of League 1 with whoever we bring in.

Like you our principal worry will be what happens to the out of contract players next year...we have a few on renewable deals but the big one is Carey....on his day sublime ....but can be inconsistent and a tendency to overplay sometimes,,, and he is biding his time....I think he is settled and the right deal will keep him as he plays well for Adams and will be the local hero...but he is coming up 28 so if there is one big payday coming I wouldn't blame him for taking it....I see you have 16 out of contract including players like Enda Stephens...and we do need a left back having sold Purrington.

But those are better problems to have than picking up players to drag you up.

So I hope we have a great game tomorrow, my only slight issue is I have Stevenage supporting friend who obviously would love us to do them a favour, but on balance I think the top three now will be the top three come May 2nd. he can have the play offs...they are such fun!

Finally I just wanted to say I thought your thread on McCormick was one of the sanest I have seen on any rival site...yes a few OTT which we understand....it is a very hard thing to accept but the law is he does his time and moves on. Suffice to say every away set of fans does the same thing and it never puts him off his stride. He lives with what he did every day. In some ways that's a punishment in itself....but I recognise some will never forgive or accept and he will have to live with that too.

see you next season
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pafcprogs wrote:Greetings from a green interloper...

Just some thoughts from our side...

First of all, all we really care about is a promotion out od this god awful division..and I am sure you feel the same...I also judge who I want to be promoted by proximity to where I am exiled ( in Kent) so whilst I would have preferred Crawley you'll do!

Second of all we think this is a freebie for us...if you win you still don't catch us and we likely go up on Monday....if we draw then the same applies....if we win then it's gravy time puts some pressure on Donny re the title ( although I think that is gone) especially if they perform with hangovers at Colchester.

As for the rivalry, meh....you don't really care about us except when you play us and vice versa....Battle of the Ports, Dockyard Derby is all Skyspeak...you probably figure you owe us one for last season but I think there are only three players in the team who played in that game for us so I doubt there is much player animosity....we probably dislike McWho now than you after he stuffed us to go and ply his trade in Motherwell after agreeing to re-sign.

As for the game, well we will sit back and soak it up....and unless you get two up that won't change...our big difference this season is we have a decent game changing bench and some pace.

We haven't conceded more than two away from home this season in any game....it's at home we leak like a sieve....and the longer it goes without you scoring the more chances we will likely get on the break....it isn't pretty but if it gets us up we can total football our way out of League 1 with whoever we bring in.

Like you our principal worry will be what happens to the out of contract players next year...we have a few on renewable deals but the big one is Carey....on his day sublime ....but can be inconsistent and a tendency to overplay sometimes,,, and he is biding his time....I think he is settled and the right deal will keep him as he plays well for Adams and will be the local hero...but he is coming up 28 so if there is one big payday coming I wouldn't blame him for taking it....I see you have 16 out of contract including players like Enda Stephens...and we do need a left back having sold Purrington.

But those are better problems to have than picking up players to drag you up.

So I hope we have a great game tomorrow, my only slight issue is I have Stevenage supporting friend who obviously would love us to do them a favour, but on balance I think the top three now will be the top three come May 2nd. he can have the play offs...they are such fun!

Finally I just wanted to say I thought your thread on McCormick was one of the sanest I have seen on any rival site...yes a few OTT which we understand....it is a very hard thing to accept but the law is he does his time and moves on. Suffice to say every away set of fans does the same thing and it never puts him off his stride. He lives with what he did every day. In some ways that's a punishment in itself....but I recognise some will never forgive or accept and he will have to live with that too.

see you next season
Think you'll find a bit of player animosity from Pompey. Gareth Evans who Plymouth targeted in last season's play off games to the point he went off and was out for months has already declared his hatred of Plymouth and Derek Adams.
http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co. ... p?a=580249
Not sure Michael Doyle will be too happy as he was head butted, from behind with the ball nowhere near....caught on camera yet no punishment meted out and the offender was allowed to play the next play off game.
(0'56")

Basically Plymouth's tactics were crude and targeted injuring key players which is unforgivable.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pafcprogs
Collins Mbesuma

Post by pafcprogs »

Well its a view....

McHugh no longer with us.....so good luck to Evans in seeking his revenge in Motherwell...

As for the head butt Matt was lucky...another ref could have sent him off....but maybe if Doyle hadn't gone down like a roll of lino and writhed in agony when he was barely touched ( he was touched and that was stupid) the ref might not have been so lenient....and I seem to recall another Pompey player dragging Matt off the floor...so another equally violent act in comparison....

It is all about perspective...if your lads think they owe us something then chances are they will get frustrated...we are well disciplined as a team ....and have had more red cards against us than anyone lese this season I believe....

At the end of the day neither of us got what we wanted last season...hopefully we both will this season.

Enjoy the game....
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="pafcprogs"]Well its a view....

McHugh no longer with us.....so good luck to Evans in seeking his revenge in Motherwell...

As for the head butt Matt was lucky...another ref could have sent him off....but maybe if Doyle hadn't gone down like a roll of lino and writhed in agony when he was barely touched ( he was touched and that was stupid) the ref might not have been so lenient....and I seem to recall another Pompey player dragging Matt off the floor...so another equally violent act in comparison....

It is all about perspective...if your lads think they owe us something then chances are they will get frustrated...we are well disciplined as a team ....and have had more red cards against us than anyone lese this season I believe....

At the end of the day neither of us got what we wanted last season...hopefully we both will this season.

Enjoy the game....[/quote]

The thing we felt difficult to take was the blatant violent tactics in all the games. That must have come from the Manager.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:So I can see them setting themselves up for a 0-0 and maybe hoping to catch us on the break.
Plymouth have an excellent away record, and on limited viewing I think this is how they do it. They will be solid defensively and look to score from a set piece or similar opportunity (if not exactly on the break). I expect us to have lots of ball, but struggle to create much, and our defence will have to be strong, especially in the air.
Pretty much how it's gone so far, 0-1 a little unfair but if we carry on in the same way an equaliser or more possible.
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Got to be pleased with a point I guess but it felt like we could have won had we been a bit more decisive in the final third. But with Plymouth "parking the bus" and happy with a point then it was always going to be hard to break them down.

Still unbeaten and on a cracking run, well played Cook and team, promotion is getting closer!
igor :)
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by igor :) »

If Orient hang on in there I'd say mission accomplished.