Cook out

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Cook out

Post by portchesterblue »

All I was trying to point out was that people were calling for his head as early as Christmas and at that time we were in the playoff positions. Admittedly there were some ****** performances but we are league 2 you have to expect it. The season is a long one as Carlisle found out, being good for a while doesn't cut it, being able to get results throughout the year and especially cominng good towards the end is always a good thing, think of Northampton.
Criticism is always good but if your in the playoffs it's a touch harsh imho
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

portchesterblue wrote:For goodness sake get that man out. No clue what's going on, has completely lost the players, players out of position, old boys club getting games for the sake of it, he won't ever get us out of this league he is ***** ......
Your original post was spot-on, PB. All these things were expressed on this board and all of it was patently ******. That's not to say PC and the team are beyond reproach but as you say of lot of the stuff leveled at them was misplaced at best.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
As to my observation about Carlisle, if (and I accept it's a BIG if) they'd continued to perform as they'd done up until New Year, I stand by my comment that we'd be facing the play-offs again this season.
And if they'd have performed as they've done after Christmas for the entire season they'd be in the bottom 3. Honestly, I don't understand your point. It's not Paul Cook's fault Carlisle couldn't keep hold/cashed in on Charlie Wyke.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Let's enjoy this moment. It is a fantastic achievement to get promoted with three games left (yeah, I know, we'll probably lose on Saturday, but am I bothered?).

Some of you will probably laugh at this, but being at Meadow Lane for me on Monday was a far greater Pompey experience than being at the FA Cup final back in 2008.

I'm delighted for Paul Cook who has steered the good ship Pompey to this promotion. We now need to stick with him.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey Gary wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
As to my observation about Carlisle, if (and I accept it's a BIG if) they'd continued to perform as they'd done up until New Year, I stand by my comment that we'd be facing the play-offs again this season.
And if they'd have performed as they've done after Christmas for the entire season they'd be in the bottom 3. Honestly, I don't understand your point. It's not Paul Cook's fault Carlisle couldn't keep hold/cashed in on Charlie Wyke.
The point being made is totally valid & this coupled with Pompey putting together a decent bit of CONSISTENT form over the last 8 games (best form in the PC era) means thank goodness that we are finally out of this League.

I think if you'd asked most people 6 or 7 weeks ago where we would end up the answer wouldn't have been top 3 thats for sure - and the reason for that is the level of inconsistency shown in particular this season at home.

Anyway Im with SB lets enjoy the promotion - we can bicker again next season
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

You might as well say Pompey only won the cup because they only had to play one other Premier League team in the whole competition. Don't think that makes it any less of an achievement though.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

And that was only ManU at Old Trafford in their hay day. AND only because we got a penalty....at Old Trafford ffs, not many can lay claim to that.

I feel that PC is a far better manager this season than last. He has shown he does learn and does improve and isn't now so rigid that he won't listen to others (which I think is what people felt earlier in the season). And there is nothing wrong with someone improving with experience. I'd rather that than someone that thinks they already know everything.
Pompey Gary wrote:You might as well say Pompey only won the cup because they only had to play one other Premier League team in the whole competition. Don't think that makes it any less of an achievement though.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

RubiconCSL wrote:And that was only ManU at Old Trafford in their hay day. AND only because we got a penalty....at Old Trafford ffs, not many can lay claim to that.
The ref must have forgotten where he was for a split second!

To say Pompey rode their luck that day would be an understatement. And yes, they were fortunate to get drawn against the teams they played (except United of course) and to be in the right place at the right time and have a run in the year that so many of the top clubs were knocked out by lower division opponents. But as the saying goes, you can only play what's in front of you. It doesn't diminish the achievement.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote: Some of you will probably laugh at this, but being at Meadow Lane for me on Monday was a far greater Pompey experience than being at the FA Cup final back in 2008.
The two are not in the same ball park for me. 2008 every time is the best.

In 2008 I shed a few tears as I'd always dreamed that one day we'd make it there - even came to an arrangement with a mate that we'd each get a tattoo should we ever get there and win. We both reneged on the deal it has to be said so my skin is still as smooth and unmarked as the day I was born (well, sort of...a few scars, spots, wrinkles and other bits and bobs....but no tats).

But Monday was a good day, a very good day, a phoenix day.

We rose from the ashes and are soaring to greater things, our lower lips trembling with emotion but still mostly with clear, dry eyes.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lone Proton
Robbie Pethick

Post by Lone Proton »

The new manager was announced over the tannoy at HT on Saturday. Didn't you hear it where you even listening? The bit about the legends match where Herman scored all 4 to beat the sweaty dinosaurs.

The last thing on that report said, and I quote "The Herminator is back". Couple that with 'I'm into something good.......by Herman's (Hermit's) and hey presto 2+2 = Herminator as our new manager.

Sorry Paul you've done a great job and I hope you get another well paid one but.........

The Herminator and back to back promotions beckons.

Player/manager?
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I'll have one of whatever you've been drinking please :)
Lone Proton wrote:The new manager was announced over the tannoy at HT on Saturday. Didn't you hear it where you even listening? The bit about the legends match where Herman scored all 4 to beat the sweaty dinosaurs.

The last thing on that report said, and I quote "The Herminator is back". Couple that with 'I'm into something good.......by Herman's (Hermit's) and hey presto 2+2 = Herminator as our new manager.

Sorry Paul you've done a great job and I hope you get another well paid one but.........

The Herminator and back to back promotions beckons.

Player/manager?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

RubiconCSL wrote:I'll have one of whatever you've been drinking please :)
Only one? Lightweight :roll:
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Gary wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:And that was only ManU at Old Trafford in their hay day. AND only because we got a penalty....at Old Trafford ffs, not many can lay claim to that.
The ref must have forgotten where he was for a split second!

To say Pompey rode their luck that day would be an understatement. And yes, they were fortunate to get drawn against the teams they played (except United of course) and to be in the right place at the right time and have a run in the year that so many of the top clubs were knocked out by lower division opponents. But as the saying goes, you can only play what's in front of you. It doesn't diminish the achievement.
Maybe we rode our luck that day, but we defended like Lions & earnt the result because of it. Our defending that day was the best I've seen by a Pompey team in a game ever. TBH the luck came when Herman blocked Ronaldo. But beyond that it was superb defending & goalkeeping by Jamo.
Still takes some believing we had players of the calibre of James, Distin,Campbell & Diarra.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

... and Muntari. My recollection is that Muntari kept Ronaldo in his pocket.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

<dj.> wrote:... and Muntari. My recollection is that Muntari kept Ronaldo in his pocket.
He also did this. I love this very amateur video, because it captures the atmosphere better than the BBC ever could. The noise after the goal is what football is all about!

[youtube][/youtube]