Notts Co - BFTG

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Notts Co - BFTG

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Where to start? Obviously, the match itself is mostly forgotten amongst all the celebrations, including a good old fashioned pitch invasion which brought back a few memories.

Pompey were the better team for most of the game, apart from a spell at the start of the second half during which we appeared to think that we had done enough. As expected, Notts Co. would have happily turned the game into a scrap, but Pompey had too much quality to allow that to happen. Afterwards Naismith said that it was a horrible game to play, which I expect was because he was getting beaten up, as it was a reasonably entertaining watch (even with the nerves). I would not be surprised to see Notts Co at the top end of the table next season; they will be a strong, organised, physical side willing to mix it, with a bit of talent, and that can get you out of this division in the Plymouth mode.

The first half was almost all Pompey, although they didn’t make the best of the opportunities. The penalty was one of the easiest decisions the referee will have all season; calmly put away by Evans. Second half we started poorly. The Notts Co equaliser came after Burgess went for a ball he should have left to Doyle, didn’t get enough distance on the header and the Notts Co player cleverly knocked the ball into the space Burgess had vacated. I did wonder if Clarke would have covered Burgess given their experience playing together, but no fault on Whatmough. It could have all fallen apart at that point, but credit to the players for keeping steady and getting back to the way they played first half. A few half chances before Lowe curled the ball into the far corner; we were right behind the line, and it was one of those shots where you knew as soon as he hit it that it was going in. The third goal was quick thinking by Doyle from a free kick to play Lowe in and a cool finish. Breathe out, relax and enjoy the rest of the game; quite a bit of injury time due to injury to a Notts Co player, but we were never going to throw it away. Time for the thin line of police and stewards to try and stop 4500 people who were determined to get on the pitch! Well done to both groups for being (mostly) sensible about the issue.

I am not going to rate players on a day like that; all have played their part over the course of the season, and deserve nothing but praise at this point. However, great to see Whatmough playing again; he was strong in the air and generally tidy in his play. It would be interesting to know Cook’s opinions on three at the back for next season.

George Smith, Frank Burrows, Bobby Campbell, Alan Ball, Harry Redknapp…and now Paul Cook. I was too young for Smith and working away for Burrows and Ball, but I can tell you that these are the moments to savour and they don’t come around too often.

Overall, too much adrenalin, too much beer and pizza and too much Herman’s Hermits. Roll on L1.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Notts Co - BFTG

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey Penguin wrote:George Smith, Frank Burrows, Bobby Campbell, Alan Ball, Harry Redknapp…and now Paul Cook.
John McCartney achieved two promotions. Lets not forget him.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I was going for post-war / my lifetime as the manager's job was very different in the 1920s. But yes, you are right, we really should acknowledge the work of John McCartney in the development and successes of Pompey.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Many thanks PP. Can't wait for Saturday!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Overall, too much adrenalin, too much beer and pizza and too much Herman’s Hermits. Roll on L1.
I tried to have too much beer but getting served in the pub we were in was a waste of time. It was averaging around a 20 minute wait each time!

Nice report, PP.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Just got back to sunny Devon. An awesome experience one of my all time best Pompey moments, I knew it was going to happen and had to be there. We drove up from PL20 very early on monday morning and stayed in the centre of Nottingham overnight. A nice ground Meadow Lane, another addition to the collection of different stadia where I have seen Pompey play. If any of you have viewed the "It`s got 4-0 written all over it" videos, a certain BlueinPL20 is interviewed briefly. We started well, a stonewall penalty and didn`t Gareth Evans take it well! Pompey controlled the game for most of the first half but County did hint at getting back into it. They continued to stretch us and it was clear that Naismith had a problem (which he admitted afterwards) and from a ball he should have come to collect it pinged around & Grant scored a cracking goal to equalise. Pompey drew their second wind and the two substitutes Connor Chaplin & particularly Jamal Lowe stretched County. Naismith managed to pass to Lowe who scored a wonderful goal just in front of where we were standing. We went bananas and although the false news that Luton had scored a second was eventurely corrected we knew the promotion party was about to begin. The Michael Doyle spotted that the County defence were not concentrating on the unmarked Jamal Lowe threaded the pass through to him & how well he took that goal. Cue wild scenes made better with the news that the Mansfield game had finished 1-1 and we were UP. The final whistle sounded and the thin blue line tried and failed to stop the pitch invasion. I waited for the Police & Stewards to give up their vain attempt to stop the deluge of Pompey Supporters desperate to put those years of disappointment & sadness behind them and join the celebrations.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:If any of you have viewed the "It`s got 4-0 written all over it" videos, a certain BlueinPL20 is interviewed briefly..
Saw the video. Which one were you?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The good looking chap in the Cap with the same christian name as the interviewer`s father
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:The good looking chap in the Cap with the same christian name as the interviewer`s father
Ahhhhh......about 6'10" into the video, then!

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

That`s the one!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Interesting vlog from a Magpie fan...

Note the dodgy knee slide from a County fan near the goalmouth about 8'40" in I think. Must've learned his technique from watching our own Gaz Evans earlier in the season.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote:Interesting vlog from a Magpie fan...

Note the dodgy knee slide from a County fan near the goalmouth about 8'40" in I think. Must've learned his technique from watching our own Gaz Evans earlier in the season.
*cough, cough Jack Whatmough, cough, cough*

[youtube][/youtube]
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:Interesting vlog from a Magpie fan...

*cough, cough Jack Whatmough, cough, cough*

[youtube][/youtube]
Ah yes, i remember it well...