Stevens

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Stevens

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Who here thinks that Enda will still be with us next season? With his performances and awards gaining many admirers coupled with being out of contract, surely he's going to be tempted away?

Part of me would love to think that he'd quickly sign a new contract with a reasonable buy-out clause just so we'd get something for him, but I know things don't work like that!
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Stevens

Post by RubiconCSL »

Depends whether he feels he can cut it in the championship and can't afford to wait a year. Maybe someone should give him Jed Wallace's phone number.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Stevens could easily play for a championship team, depends if he thinks we will challenge next season I reckon.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Will depend on the takeover I reckon. He is too good for league one... But he may just stay if we are taken over and show some ambition.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Stevens is a great L2 LB, and will be a very good L1 LB. However, he was very poor at Aston Villa (ask their fans about him); that was in the PL so a different standard, but nobody was surprised he dropped down the leagues beyond the Championship. He is also horribly one-footed. There are many occasions when he cuts back onto his right foot, but then can't do anything and has to turn back to his left, and higher up the league this will be found out. He would be best advised to move up the leagues steadily with Pompey, and take the time to work on his right-foot skills. Of course, if someone offers him loads of cash, he would be a fool to turn it down.

Said as someone who has been a massive Enda Stevens fan for the last two years.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Having seen every left back in L2 this season I can safely say that Enda is the best. There will be lots of clubs sniffing around up to Championship level, and there is a very good chance he wont be with us next season. If, however, we can hang on to him it will undoubtedly be the best bit of transfer business we do. If we can't, we need to make sure we get good money for him. PS Whilst we all know money talks, I have a sneaky suspicion we may hang on to him.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:If we can't, we need to make sure we get good money for him.
We'll get nothing for him if he moves on.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I guess it depends upon how happy he is, at our club, working with Paul Cook. And on how much he listens to his agent's advice.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

I guess it depends on the best offer he gets. I do hope he signs our contract, though.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Also depends if a decision is purely money based, career based, or a bit of both. If he jumps up 2 divisions, he'll undoubtedly get paid more. But if he then doesn't quite cut it, he gets little or no match play, which will do nothing to enhance his career. He could also get loaned out to a team in a lower league. One more season with us in L1 and he could well be up there anyway. Even until Christmas. But I guess that would then mean him signing a contract with us and not having quite the same bargaining power if he then wanted to leave.

Can't be easy for players. They have a relatively short playing career in which to make the most of what they have. He's not 27 until July though, so one more season with us would seem a sensible move to me. He probably can sign a one year contract if he really wants it and then decide this time next year.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Lone Proton
Robbie Pethick

Post by Lone Proton »

Wake up and smell the coffee. The club is in negotiations to sell itself to Mr. Eisner. Whether that happens or not won't be known until 20th May at the earliest - the day after the PST vote.

No-one at Pompey will be spending dosh or signing anything until the World knows whether Pompey is 100% owned by Tornante or still, as the PST proudly proclaims "owned by the fans".

I for one won't be able to get a good nights sleep until I know the result one way or t'other.

Trembling in anticipation :-)