This Vote - Not every share has a vote, it seems

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

This Vote - Not every share has a vote, it seems

Post by blue architect »

I have my own share vote and am named person for Syndicate 2's vote. I would assume this to allow two separate votes.
No. That is not the case.
As both shares are registered in my name then I have only one vote and one ballot paper return.
What the hell happens if I vote No and the Syndicate votes Yes. Cannot be right. Luckily both Syndicate and I are like minded. PST are now running around trying to sort this out for me as I may not be the only one affected.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: This Vote - Not every share has a vote, it seems

Post by Earl Grey »

Now I didn't know that. I always assumed that if you owned 100 shares you got 100 votes.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Bit of a ***** setup. However, if you disagreed with the syndicate, then don't vote; the Yes and the No cancel each other out. If you agree with the syndicate, then vote.

But, as you say, I'd have thought you should get one vote for your personal share and one for the syndicate. Maybe it's a situation that they've missed, or maybe it's the best they can do, if the rules are "one vote per shareholder, no matter how many shares they have"? But does that not mean the HNW share holders should also only get one vote? Doesn't quite look right to me.
blue architect wrote:I have my own share vote and am named person for Syndicate 2's vote. I would assume this to allow two separate votes.
As both shares are registered in my name then I have only one vote and one ballot paper return.
What the hell happens if I vote No and the Syndicate votes Yes. Cannot be right. Luckily both Syndicate and I are like minded. PST are now running around trying to sort this out for me as I may not be the only one affected.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

RubiconCSL wrote:Bit of a ***** setup. However, if you disagreed with the syndicate, then don't vote; the Yes and the No cancel each other out. If you agree with the syndicate, then vote.

But, as you say, I'd have thought you should get one vote for your personal share and one for the syndicate. Maybe it's a situation that they've missed, or maybe it's the best they can do, if the rules are "one vote per shareholder, no matter how many shares they have"? But does that not mean the HNW share holders should also only get one vote? Doesn't quite look right to me.
blue architect wrote:I have my own share vote and am named person for Syndicate 2's vote. I would assume this to allow two separate votes.
Syndicates are not recognised as separate categories because there isn't a legal mechanism to do so. Syndicates were an act of trust between individuals. It would have hugely complicated the share issue.

As for the voting entitlement, the PST is a co-operative (legally an Industrial and Provident Society) so the weighting is done by member rather than shareholding. This is truer to the spirit of what the PST is but does cause a problem due to syndicates.

There were always some concerns about what would happen in this situation because of the need for a named person on the shareholding iirc. Its messy but what can they do?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

I have also been informed that PST members, who are not shareholders, have the same right to vote. I just assumed that it was shareholders only, but again I am possibly mistaken.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

blue architect wrote:I have also been informed that PST members, who are not shareholders, have the same right to vote. I just assumed that it was shareholders only, but again I am possibly mistaken.
You have been wrongly informed.

There are two votes.

On the selling of PST shares in PCFC - that is the decision of PST shareholders only.
On the selling of presidents shares in PCFC - that is the decision of all PST members.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
blue architect wrote:I have also been informed that PST members, who are not shareholders, have the same right to vote. I just assumed that it was shareholders only, but again I am possibly mistaken.
You have been wrongly informed.

There are two votes.

On the selling of PST shares in PCFC - that is the decision of PST shareholders only.
On the selling of presidents shares in PCFC - that is the decision of all PST members.
Thanks LIT for explaining.