Something Mr Jackett said in an interview

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Something Mr Jackett said in an interview

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I'm probably putting 2 & 2 together and getting about 3¼, but.....

Point 1:- Kenny Jackett was appointed very, very quickly after Cook's departure. Mark Catlin has stated that KJ was the number one target, and that they moved for him before PC's departure was confirmed.

Point 2:- KJ has said in an interview that he has seen a number of our games this season, and he's familiar with a number of our fringe players, like Little Conor, Jack and Ben Close.

The question occurs to me - how far before his departure was it clear that Paul Cook was going to leave?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Something Mr Jackett said in an interview

Post by RubiconCSL »

Maybe from the point we'd definitely been promoted? PC had then served his purpose?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

1) It was a very quick appointment but then the rumours of PC leaving to Wigan started almost immediately after the season had finished so perhaps the club had sounded KJ out a while ago. I can't believe it would be earlier than that though.

2) It's in his professional interest to know what's going on in the EFL. If it was my livelihood I'd be watching as many games and talking to peers within the industry as much as possible. I understand that some unemployed managers might simply hit the golf course until a job offer comes in but obviously KJ is a consummate pro. :D
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Mostly what Gary said. Any business that is well run is always considering what will happen if/when they lose key members of staff. This is doubly true in football where managerial turnover is so high. So many people on here have said, rightly, that Catlin is doing a great job, and it is reasonable to assume that succession planning is part of that competence.

From Jackett's POV, football employment is very much a "who you know" process, and whilst he was partly unemployed and partly doing a bit at Spurs academy, I would expect him (or any similar ex-manager in that position) to be going round possible clubs to keep up-to-date, but also to chat to CEOs, DoFs, etc. and keep himself known and remembered when vacancies arise. It is a game of networking to rival politics and journalism.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I suspect KJ had to stop himself getting on the blower to Pompey when he heard there was a vacancy here. Didn't want to appear too eager but I reckon he was probably just as desperate to get this job as Catlin was to give it to him.

There could hardly have been a better opening for him than us and from our point of view there could hardly have been a better man waiting in the wings.

A mutually perfect situation.

I think this explains the alacrity with which proceedings came to a conclusion.

Any news on Joe Gallen?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Albie McCann
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Albie McCann »

Mmmmm........I've been wondering about this very same thing myself, and figured that the seed could have been sown when PC spoke / met with Mr E?

I can't help thinking that they are two very different types of characters, and just wonder how they hit it off (or not)......or maybe Mr E just struggled with that grating accent......or PC's constant use of the phrase "Let's not make any bones about it" !!!!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

I've just read a theory on the Snooze comments section, which struck a resonant chord with me.

The theory is that when there were lots of calls for Paul Cook's head, around the time of the Crewe game, perhaps KJ was contacted then, and sounded out about whether he would be interested in taking charge - this would have given him the time and motivation to take an interest in our games and players. At the time, our performances then improved, so sacking the manager was the wrong thing to do.

Fast forward to the summer, the Cook/Wigan rumours start abounding, so Mr Catlin gives Kenny another ring and Bob's your mother's brother.

Just a theory, but one I like the sound of.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
CoshamWreck
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by CoshamWreck »

It is a good theory and I like it Mr McLockface; whether it's sound or not we may never know. Either way what comes across to me is, that the CEO was alive to the situation whenever it arose and that he is without doubt the best tool that PFC currently has in its box. We can only hope that he remains.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Coshamwreck wrote:It is a good theory and I like it Mr McLockface; whether it's sound or not we may never know. Either way what comes across to me is, that the CEO was alive to the situation whenever it arose and that he is without doubt the best tool that PFC currently has in its box. We can only hope that he remains.
I wholeheartedly agree.