Pompey to sign Nathan Thompson (CB) from Swindon on Free

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Pompey to sign Nathan Thompson (CB) from Swindon on Free

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Apparently Pompey have beaten Charlton to sign free agent Nathan Thompson from Swindon. He was captain for Swindon last year and is out of contract at the end of the month. He's 26 and played 150 games for Swindon (his only professional club).

Not sure what this means for Burgess and Clarke as the no.1 pairing. Clarke could play LB but that would seem to limit the attacking options down the left. Perhaps Thompson steps into one of the holding positions in midfield?

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/2593 ... ndon-town/

looks athletic and tall - something I am pleased about as I think we could do with some height and strength around the field. Another reason to keep linganzi imho
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Pompey to sign Nathan Thompson (CB) from Swindon on Free

Post by Weybridge »

Jack_Tinn wrote:Apparently Pompey have beaten Charlton to sign free agent Nathan Thompson from Swindon. He was captain for Swindon last year and is out of contract at the end of the month. He's 26 and played 150 games for Swindon (his only professional club).

Not sure what this means for Burgess and Clarke as the no.1 pairing. Clarke could play LB but that would seem to limit the attacking options down the left. Perhaps Thompson steps into one of the holding positions in midfield?

looks athletic and tall - something I am pleased about as I think we could do with some height and strength around the field. Another reason to keep linganzi imho
He's only 5ft 7 (although 5'9 on wikipedia) it seems, so unlikely to displace Burgess/Clarke/Whatmough.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Wondering if Nathan Thompson could be being pencilled in at right back ?????

From his biography on the Swindon Town website

"The right-back, who can also play at the heart of the defence and at the base of midfield, showed glimpses of his quality during Town's march to the League Two Title in 2011/12, and he impressed Paolo Di Canio enough to play a key role the following campaign."
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

must be a right back then - he looked bigger than 5'7" in that picture. teach me to do more research.

Got to be the natural right back we have been looking for - I like that he was captain last year and so can bring some experience and drive to the back four.

He clearly didn't turn down Charlton because they couldn't give him enough first team opportunities to sit on the bench. Was linked to Spurs and Arsenal and a few other premiership teams a couple of years ago and was Swindon's player of the year 3 seasons ago so he must have something about him.

Talbot to Wigan perhaps...I hope they pay a fee for him too!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/2467 ... quit-club/

he played last season predominantly at centre back (perhaps they leaked many goals in the air as a result !?) but has experience at RB, LB and holding midfield
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Weybridge wrote:
Jack_Tinn wrote:Apparently Pompey have beaten Charlton to sign free agent Nathan Thompson from Swindon. He was captain for Swindon last year and is out of contract at the end of the month. He's 26 and played 150 games for Swindon (his only professional club).

He's only 5ft 7 (although 5'9 on wikipedia) it seems, so unlikely to displace Burgess/Clarke/Whatmough.
I see 5 ft 7 and a half on wiki. Very precise. But yes, seems far too short to play at centre-back, certainly in a conventional flat back four.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

We've just lost our captain and defensive midfielder (Doyle).
This guy is a captain and can play defensive midfielder.
So my guess is that is what he's been bought for.

But if he can play full back too then maybe it's to push Evans further forward although not sure about that theory. If he can play left back then maybe he's a replacement for Stevens.

As long as he's better than any current squad member in whatever position he's been planned for then it's all good.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Swindon Fan
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Swindon Fan »

Hi all

Just to let you know a little about NT.

If you expect a CB you get one with NT and also he has filled in at DMC but is useless there, he is an out and out right back.

He will give everything in every game but will get sent off several times a season and gets caught out of position often.

He has bags of pace and skill but is not a leader and was only captain by default of being our oldest player at 25 last season.

Not bad going forward with the ball but wanders at times, still a good signing in L1 as Norwich and Leeds have scouted him in the past.

He is a 100% player in every game but more often than not his 100% is not good enough.

Good luck to him and you for next season, he will be a handy player for you I am sure of that.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Rumours are Nathan Thompson is lined up to have a medial tomorrow. So the deal should be completed over the weekend, if not before.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Now official...Nathan Thompsons signs a 2 year deal.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/201 ... -thompson/

Orient Striker Gavin Massey also spotted at Pompeys Training Ground.