Thought provoking.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

VFTH
Milan Mandaric

Thought provoking.

Post by VFTH »

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".

Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded.

Other ideas include a stadium clock linked to a referee's watch and a new rule allowing players to effectively pass to themselves or dribble the ball when taking a free-kick.

Read the full strategy document here

Where have these proposals come from?

The ideas have been put forward to Ifab by stakeholders in the game to tackle "on-field issues" and form part of what it calls its "Play Fair strategy", which has three aims of:

improving player behaviour and increasing respect
increasing playing time
increasing fairness and attractiveness
Part of the problem the new document highlights is that a 90-minute match has fewer than 60 minutes of playing time because of stoppages and time-wasting.

Which plans need no law changes?

The document has put forward a number of radical ideas for discussion, but suggests some proposals can be implemented immediately without the need for law changes.

Most of these apply to trying to combat time-wasting. The document says match officials should be stricter on the rule which allows keepers to hold the ball for six seconds and be more stringent when calculating additional time.

Additionally, it suggests match officials stop their watch:

from a penalty being awarded to the spot-kick being taken
from a goal being scored until the match resumes from the kick-off
from asking an injured player if he requires treatment to play restarting
from the referee showing a yellow or red card to play resuming
from the signal of a substitution to play restarting
from a referee starting to pace a free-kick to when it is taken
Which plans are ready for testing?

Some of the proposals are already being tested. The idea of only allowing captains to speak to referees - to prevent match officials being mobbed - will be trialled at this summer's Confederations Cup, which starts on Saturday.

Another proposal involves changing the order of kick-taking in penalty shoot-outs, known as 'ABBA'. It is similar to a tie-break in tennis, with team A taking the first kick, then team B taking two, then team A taking two. That is a change from the traditional 'team A, team B, team A, team B' pattern.

New suggestions also include players who are being substituted leaving at the closest part of the touchline to them instead of at the halfway line.

Which ideas are up for discussion?

This is where it gets interesting. One of the proposals would allow being able to dribble straight from a free-kick to "encourage attacking play as the player who is fouled can stop the ball and then immediately continue their dribble/attacking move". Other measures include:

passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick
a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch
allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving
a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on
a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball
a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card
a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty
the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play
a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area
Who has come up with these proposals?

Ifab is made up of Fifa and the four British home football associations - of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes.

Former English referee David Elleray is Ifab's technical director and has overseen the document.

"Referees, players, coaches and fans all agree that improving player behaviour and respect for all participants and especially match officials, increasing playing time and the game's fairness and attractiveness must be football's main priority," he said.

The next stage would involve the ideas being discussed at various meetings before decisions are taken on whether to develop them further or discard them.
Smile and those around you smile ..... Laugh and they think you have gone mad

http://www.smile4wessex.org
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Thought provoking.

Post by This Time Next Year »

Just go the whole hog, and implement rolling substitutions, give them sticks, and call it hockey... These are pretty much all rules we've had for years now.

The self pass is a brilliant rule to keep the game flowing. Argue a decision all you like, but the opposition will be cracking on with their attack while you're out of the game...
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I've always advocated the use of a clock that everyone can see so when the ref stops the clock we all know about it and when he punishes a side for time-wasting we can see he's moved the clock back 2 minutes or whatever.

Not sure about this 30 minutes thing though. Could the ref keep up without losing concentration when the balls constantly going out of play? Surely we can forget the odd few seconds each time for a throw in and keep the 45 minutes, can't we?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I think having a stadium clock that is directly linked to the ref clock is a great idea, this shows everyone the actual time gone/left, also shows when the ref stops his watch and how much actual extra time is added. This may open the ref up for scrutiny but so be it, will ensure that time keeping is managed correctly.

As for all the others, don't need them, impose the current rules correctly and time wasting will stop.

Make the keeps release the ball in the required time, problem is that generally the ref/Lino is running back up the pitch in anticipation of the keepers kick.

When a player is injured, make the sponge man take him off the pitch at the shortest e sit point, not limp across the longest point and delaying the game. The game can continue whilst he hobbled all the way around the pitch or gets stretchered away.

One interesting one would be to stop all substitutions say in the last 5 minutes, stop the rediculous situation where you make a sub with 1 minute to go, we all know it is not a tactical replacement, it's time wasting.

Bring in video ref reviews, this will discourage simulation for a start and instead of both teams arguing with the ref, the time it takes to review off field time would be saved, also, it would be replayed on the big screen and the players have the chance to see it as well, this will also stop simulation/time wasting as they would be embarrassed live in front of the whole crowd !

Other than that, I would leave it as it is.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Portchester PFC wrote:One interesting one would be to stop all substitutions say in the last 5 minutes, stop the rediculous situation where you make a sub with 1 minute to go, we all know it is not a tactical replacement, it's time wasting.
Except for a genuine injury, surely?

But then how do you judge a genuine injury?

I'm not sure that one is really workable.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

The Luton game broken leg incident springs to mind, where many in the crowd thought that their player was wasting time and the ref excelled himself by booking a player lying on the ground with a broken leg.

As a matter of interest I believe that he is still out injured ( the player not the ref!).
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Locky_McLockface wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:One interesting one would be to stop all substitutions say in the last 5 minutes, stop the rediculous situation where you make a sub with 1 minute to go, we all know it is not a tactical replacement, it's time wasting.
Except for a genuine injury, surely?

But then how do you judge a genuine injury?

I'm not sure that one is really workable.
Agree, I think we can tell the difference between an injury and a tactical substitution. I don't besieve we will see an influx of injuries in the last 5 minutes I have games. It is not very often that these last minute substitutions are due to injury, most are purely tactical.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Portchester PFC wrote:...I don't believe we will see an influx of injuries in the last 5 minutes of games...
I believe that is exactly what we'll see. Genuine or otherwise.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

This Time Next Oik wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:...I don't believe we will see an influx of injuries in the last 5 minutes of games...
I believe that is exactly what we'll see. Genuine or otherwise.
Honestly ? I don't think so.

This is half the problem, the players and managers are allowed to get away with such behavior, if the referee's cracked down on time wasting then it would soon go away. Notice how little you see of players crowding the referee out and getting in their faces now about decisions ? That is as a direct result of them getting booked, if they keep getting booked they miss games, not good for them, the manager or the team.

It is a slow process but one that has started, bringing respect back into the game, unfortunately the game has created its own monster by the amount of money in it, when someone that young is earning that much money and can have what they want when they want it and are pandered to by everyone around them off the pitch they feel they deserve the same on the pitch.
Heaven's Light Our Guide