A harsh dose of reality (BFTG - Oxford)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

A harsh dose of reality (BFTG - Oxford)

Post by Selsey Bill »

Following the euphoria of winning our first home game in front of our new owners and manager last Saturday, today we were served up a harsh dose of reality!
The game was a scrappy affair to start, with neither team really taking control. However, as the half continued I'd say Pompey were the better team, looking the more likely in the final third. In fact, Kyle Bennett could easily have put us 1-0 up after about 20 minutes following one of his trademark mazey runs and a shot that the keeper did well to put beyond the upright with a great save. The Pompey pressure continued and I believe we'd forced 2 or 3 corners before they even got one. The defining moment of the first half came when following some great play down the left we crossed the ball to Pitman who headed home. A great goal that was about to be disallowed as Pitman was alleged to have illegally pushed his opposite number as he went up for the header. I've seen more given than not. Our players left the field at half time to a rousing applause, and most of us blue tinted spectacled wearing supporters thought we would only push on.
Unfortunately, within a couple of minutes of the second half kickoff Oxford did to us what we did to Rochdale last Saturday, and scored. Even though I was at the other end of the ground it was obvious that our keeper had spilled a fierce shot that Wes Thomas was there to fire home (what is it about ex-Pompey players?!). Jackett almost immediately, and very un-Cook like, made a change, bringing on Chaplin for Naismith. Whilst the 'One of our own' chants were still ringing in my ears I was wondering why he'd made this move. For me, Naismith looked our most creative source and, added to that, my lads and I had already talked about this game not being suited to Chaplin.
Once we'd made this change, I we never looked like getting back into the game, and certainly showed no attacking intent. I actually commented to my sons that this would end up 2 or 3 nil, which as we all now know, it did. And let’s be straight about this, Oxford more than deserved to win. If it hadn’t been for our best player by a country mile, Christian Burgess, it could have been 5 or 6.
Anyway, today really highlighted how lacking in depth our squad is, especially in midfield where we were overrun today. If ever there was a game where we could have done with Michael Doyle, or even someone like one of our released midfielders, Stanley Aborah, today was it.
We’ve been taught a bit of a lesson today that hopefully Kenny Jackett and his players can and will learn from, and whilst there’s a very long way to go, based on today’s performance we will not be challenging for promotion!
yahoodlums
Alan Knight

Re: A harsh dose of reality (BFTG - Oxford)

Post by yahoodlums »

Thanks for the report. It's definitely a wake up call after the euphoria from the opening game.
"You can break many things, but you can't break our spirit!"
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

SB: many thanks as always for the BFTG.

Broadly the same as the radio commentary: the turning point was the first goal very early in the second half coupled with the replacement of an ineffective Oxford player by one with skill.

Oxford then had the luxury of introducing another skilled player who quickly scored their second goal.

As one of the radio commentators said, KJ needs to do some new recruiting soon. It's going to be a long season but I am still hopeful.

PS Greetings from Hoi An in central Vietnam where it's 38 degrees C and around 90 per cent humidity.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thanks SB, I shall see for myself this weekend!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Many thanks SB.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Sounds like what I've seen so far in the extended highlights on the Pompey Player thingy. I've just got to half time. I've no idea why Pitman's goal was disallowed. Looks like he climbed well and headed it home. Looks a bit harsh for it to be disallowed.

I've not got to the second half yet, but sounds like it must have been a game of two halves situation and clearly the gaffer should have given the boys the hairdryer treatment and told them to get in early doors and bang it in the back of the old onion bag. The substitution: he'll be disappointed with that, but it's not the time to panic buy just yet.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Such a shame THD got injured for the long term (and we're still having to pay for him). I think he would've been such a threat going forward for us.
We've had no luck with refs either as Pitman's goal looked perfectly OK (from video range...I wasn't there).
But I'm not too concerned at the moment. we'll pick up points here and there and when it comes to January I think we'll have a better idea as to how much we need to keep ourselves afloat in this league.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
yahoodlums
Alan Knight

Post by yahoodlums »

Milton End wrote:
PS Greetings from Hoi An in central Vietnam where it's 38 degrees C and around 90 per cent humidity.
I've just got back from Hoi An last week! Very pretty town... great food too!
"You can break many things, but you can't break our spirit!"
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

yahoodlums wrote:
Milton End wrote:
I've just got back from Hoi An last week! Very pretty town... great food too!
Agree about the food - recommend two restaurants - Cargo and Morning Glory - for those tempted to visit Hoi An.

And avoid the nearby city of Da Nang which has all the charm of Southampton on a wet day in February.

Now in Phnom Phen Cambodia where it is warm but raining hard.

Tried to listen to the Walsall game last night on PFC website (9pm Cambodia time). But the website was a total shambles. BTFG would be gratefully appreciated.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante