Michael Smith

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Michael Smith

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Michael Smith was not in the team photo on the official site.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Michael Smith

Post by OldSpice »

Berkshire Blue wrote:Michael Smith was not in the team photo on the official site.
Really? I've not even seen the team photo and couldn't find it on the official site....
PUP
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

OldSpice wrote:
Berkshire Blue wrote:Michael Smith was not in the team photo on the official site.
Really? I've not even seen the team photo and couldn't find it on the official site....
It was posted on the news section of the site on 18th August and is definitely still there.

It is only technological incompetence on my part that stops me from posting a link!
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Fun Thursday fact. Michael Smith has a better goals to games ratio than Conor Chaplin.

Make of that what you will.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

richisbradders wrote:Fun Thursday fact. Michael Smith has a better goals to games ratio than Conor Chaplin.

If he wasn't a local lad he wouldn't be so highly regarded... It's why he is still at the club.
richisbradders
Alan Knight

Post by richisbradders »

Agree, I see he played for the reserves yesterday, so that's two managers that don't really fancy him to start in the first team regularly.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:
richisbradders wrote:Fun Thursday fact. Michael Smith has a better goals to games ratio than Conor Chaplin.

If he wasn't a local lad he wouldn't be so highly regarded... It's why he is still at the club.
I do detect that our Conor might have a bit of an attitude problem.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:I do detect that our Conor might have a bit of an attitude problem.
He worked his whatsnames off on Wednesday evening according to those that watched the game. That demonstrated a good attitude to being in the stiffs. He is a hard trainer and also has trained by himself externally to get physically stronger and more explosive.

I think there's a less Machiavellian reason here. For all his abilities and talents, Conor doesn't quite fit the systems that the first team plays which he himself finds frustrating. The big man / little man combination would be perfect for him. He isn't quite quick enough to stretch a defence like a Lavery. He isn't creative enough to play a 10 role. He isn't quite suited to playing wide. He certainly isn't big and strong enough to bully defenders. He not quite the goal-scoring threat to really worry defenders either. He has lots of good qualities but no weapon to really hurt the opposition to borrow a tennis analogy.

To be his size and to play the 9 role requires a weapon or cleverness that only comes with experience. For example Defoe only learnt to play the lone role in his 30s.

There are things in Conor's game that annoy me such as the diving. I would link that to the frustration though. Can Conor make that breakthrough? I don't know. If not, expect Kenny Jackett to be ruthless in moving him on.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I have always thought that Conor's best position would be playing off a target man, like Nicke Kabamba for instance. the problem is that Brett Pitman is more or less fulfilling that role, so he may have to be patient and grab his chance when it comes. He is still very young, and I would hate him to be one of those strikers that we let go and who then blossoms elsewhere. Maybe a short loan spell to get some games would be beneficial?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:I do detect that our Conor might have a bit of an attitude problem.
He worked his whatsnames off on Wednesday evening according to those that watched the game. That demonstrated a good attitude to being in the stiffs. He is a hard trainer and also has trained by himself externally to get physically stronger and more explosive.

I think there's a less Machiavellian reason here. For all his abilities and talents, Conor doesn't quite fit the systems that the first team plays which he himself finds frustrating. The big man / little man combination would be perfect for him. He isn't quite quick enough to stretch a defence like a Lavery. He isn't creative enough to play a 10 role. He isn't quite suited to playing wide. He certainly isn't big and strong enough to bully defenders. He not quite the goal-scoring threat to really worry defenders either. He has lots of good qualities but no weapon to really hurt the opposition to borrow a tennis analogy.

To be his size and to play the 9 role requires a weapon or cleverness that only comes with experience. For example Defoe only learnt to play the lone role in his 30s.

There are things in Conor's game that annoy me such as the diving. I would link that to the frustration though. Can Conor make that breakthrough? I don't know. If not, expect Kenny Jackett to be ruthless in moving him on.
Have to disagree with regard to lack of goal threat, he is a goal threat. But unfortunately his size means that in these days where players a real athletes & mostly big with it Conor doesn't fit in. The managers perception of him just doesn't fit the perception of modern players. Which means lack of game time. If he was playing 20 yrs ago he would've slotted in well. Imo given a run of 10 games his goal return would be decent,but he seldom gets the chance in the 1st team.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

pompeygunner wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:

Have to disagree with regard to lack of goal threat, he is a goal threat. But unfortunately his size means that in these days where players a real athletes & mostly big with it Conor doesn't fit in. The managers perception of him just doesn't fit the perception of modern players. Which means lack of game time. If he was playing 20 yrs ago he would've slotted in well. Imo given a run of 10 games his goal return would be decent,but he seldom gets the chance in the 1st team.
Has he taken the chances he has had.. goals and games.
CoshamWreck
Martin Kuhl

Post by CoshamWreck »

Pompey1985 wrote:Has he taken the chances he has had.. goals and games.
Clearly not as well as Smith (see above). I reckon he will be lucky to be on the bench tomorrow at best!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

CoshamWreck wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Has he taken the chances he has had.. goals and games.
Clearly not as well as Smith (see above). I reckon he will be lucky to be on the bench tomorrow at best!
:rofl
Well I just wonder if you did a survey of lower league defenders & asked who would they rather face. Imho it would be Smith every time. No contest in fact.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

pompeygunner wrote:Have to disagree with regard to lack of goal threat
I didn't say lack of goal threat. I said he isn't enough of a goal threat to really worry defenders.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.