Bristol Rovers game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

ToferAndo
Collins Mbesuma

Bristol Rovers game

Post by ToferAndo »

I am down from Dundee with my work on Tuesday and have decided to go to the game.

Got myself a ticket in the fratton end.

What's the atmosphere like?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Bristol Rovers game

Post by Berkshire Blue »

The atmosphere will be excellent, especially as it is an evening game under lights. Probably best not to wear red or things might get a bit too lively! Enjoy the game.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Thats Rich »

ToferAndo wrote:I am down from Dundee with my work on Tuesday and have decided to go to the game.

Got myself a ticket in the fratton end.

What's the atmosphere like?
We will expect a full match report - good to get a neutral view on your Fratton experience. :lol:
Why always me!
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

It's nice to be so strong at home this season, it's such a vital aspect of staying up.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

3.0 Pompey
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Here's the Bristol perspective. A pretty fair account of the game, actually...
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foot ... ces-538286
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Earl Grey wrote:Here's the Bristol perspective. A pretty fair account of the game, actually...
It is indeed. I expected to be at least a goal down at half time as the Gas looked quicker, stronger and better organised. Somehow we snatched a goal that was disallowed, then the ref overruled the lino and awarded the goal. Does anyone know exactly what that was all about?

In the second half we were much better. I don't know what KJ says to the team at half time but it seems to work!
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Agreed, probably one of the fairest reports from an opponent...... not a patch on our Selsey though
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Agree with above comments, very fair report. They looked very sharp in the first half especially, but our back four played very well last night, especially Clarke and Burgess who defended everything. Thompson and Donohue also looked very solid. Strangely it was a game we could have won 5-0 even though 3-0 kinda flattered us! Mid way through the second half Hawkins (who had an excellent game, especially in the first half) missed an absolute sitter which he really should have buried, and how we weren't awarded a penalty in the second half when Thompson was literally thrown to the ground inside their box was beyond me, and most of the Fratton Faithful. On that note, it was good to see the atmosphere back at the Old Lady last night which, apart from the first game of the season, has been very disappointing. What encouraged me about last night's performance was how committed the whole team looked. None of them shirked any tackles. O'Keefe continues to impress me, and as he grows in confidence and stature he also does in leadership skills. If he wasn't a loanee I'd make him our skipper. On to him, Brett Pitman was pure class last night. Yes, he can be very frustrating to watch as he sometimes walks about, but his two goals were quality, especially the second which was sublime. Interesting to see that he now heads the goalscorer chart in L1 with 8 goals, 7 of which have come at home. Our least effective player on the pitch last night was Ben Close who never really got into the game. Difficult to chose a MOTM, the sponsors gave it to Pitman for his two goals, but perhaps Matty Clarke just nicked it for me. Roll on Saturday. 3 more points would be perfect.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

<dj.> wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:Here's the Bristol perspective. A pretty fair account of the game, actually...
It is indeed. I expected to be at least a goal down at half time as the Gas looked quicker, stronger and better organised. Somehow we snatched a goal that was disallowed, then the ref overruled the lino and awarded the goal. Does anyone know exactly what that was all about?

In the second half we were much better. I don't know what KJ says to the team at half time but it seems to work!
I fully expected that Bristol account of the game to put a lot of the blame on the ref. He did seem to mostly favour us and how Matt Clarke got away with no bookings I'm not sure but to be fair Matty Kennedy was taken out a few times later on in the game and the ref was equally lenient to their guys so I guess it was overall an even handed performance by the man in black (well, it was a sort of plum coloured shirt he sported actually).
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

<dj.> wrote:

Regarding the disallowed goal that was allowed, a BR defender headed the ball backwards into Hawkins path for him to score thus playing him onside. @ least that's how EFM explained it & if so then I cannot understand why the lino put his flag up.
Thought the ref was excellent, got more or less everything right.