Gareth Barry

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Gareth Barry

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well,,,,Congrats I suppose on breaking the all time prem appearances record.

You know....it's a bit like spending 35yrs at a single company mostly because nobody noticed you.
Div III. Call it what it is.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Gareth Barry

Post by past memories »

I think referees notice him occasionally.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Who remembers our first ever game in the Premier League? At home against Villa. We won 2-1. A young looking Barry played in that game. Scored a penalty and then a few minutes later was sent off!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

He has won more Premier League games then the stripeys.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Selsey Bill wrote:Who remembers our first ever game in the Premier League? At home against Villa. We won 2-1. A young looking Barry played in that game. Scored a penalty and then a few minutes later was sent off!
I remember the Villa penalty was won by a player (Lee Hendry?) tripping over his own feet. An absolute travesty that fortunately didn't affect the result. Pompey were top of the league for a couple of hours or so!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey Gary wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Who remembers our first ever game in the Premier League? At home against Villa. We won 2-1. A young looking Barry played in that game. Scored a penalty and then a few minutes later was sent off!
I remember the Villa penalty was won by a player (Lee Hendry?) tripping over his own feet. An absolute travesty that fortunately didn't affect the result. Pompey were top of the league for a couple of hours or so!
Then we were top again for 24 hours after beating Bolton 4-0 on the Tuesday.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey Gary wrote:
I thought it was Gareth Barry who missed the ball and then fell over. Not even a dive, just gross incompetence! Anyway, a great day for Pompey and the first of lots of good memories from that season.

Wasn't there one off-season when Barry was supposed to sign for Pompey, but it fell through when Villa got a new manager or something? Anyone remember this?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote:Wasn't there one off-season when Barry was supposed to sign for Pompey, but it fell through when Villa got a new manager or something? Anyone remember this?
1st summer of Gaydamak ownership as I recall so 2006. Redknapp wanted him but couldn't persuade the board to really go for him. Martin O'Neill arrived in August at Villa.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:
I thought it was Gareth Barry who missed the ball and then fell over. Not even a dive, just gross incompetence! Anyway, a great day for Pompey and the first of lots of good memories from that season.

Wasn't there one off-season when Barry was supposed to sign for Pompey, but it fell through when Villa got a new manager or something? Anyone remember this?
Sounds similar to the Michael Carrick near signing, we had it almost done & then Arsenal came in & muddied the waters & he ended up signing for Spurs.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:

Sounds similar to the Michael Carrick near signing, we had it almost done & then Arsenal came in & muddied the waters & he ended up signing for Spurs.
It seems somewhat surreal to think back to some of the players we signed, and some of those that we were connected to!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

pompeygunner wrote:Sounds similar to the Michael Carrick near signing, we had it almost done & then Arsenal came in & muddied the waters & he ended up signing for Spurs.
Not really similar.

The difference is that Pompey weren't really Carrick's choice hence his waiting whereas the Barry deal could have been done if the club had committed to signing him early in the summer. It was a very political summer with signings like Nugent who weren't on Redknapp's list.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Sounds similar to the Michael Carrick near signing, we had it almost done & then Arsenal came in & muddied the waters & he ended up signing for Spurs.[/quote]

I thought he signed for Man U.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Thats Rich »

Better for him to have the record than Giggs IMHO.
Why always me!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

past memories wrote:Sounds similar to the Michael Carrick near signing, we had it almost done & then Arsenal came in & muddied the waters & he ended up signing for Spurs.
I thought he signed for Man U.[/quote]

Spurs then went onto Utd.