Kenny or Paul?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: Kenny or Paul?

Post by uspompeyfan »

Not getting to see the games live, I'm sure I miss the bigger picture. I would like to ask if anyone has a stat for the following:

Shots / shots on target / goals
opponents shots / goals conceded per game ratio

I have listened to / watched some boring drivel this season, but recall it wasn't too dissimilar last year either and that style seemed to keep us looking fitter at the end of the season hence our long streak which culminated in the success we got. Cook made the season a marathon...and it felt like it. So far we are on a similar journey, but not confident in anything but feeling safe this season.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Greetings

For me it has to be Kenny.

Not that the club ever had this choice as let's not forget, Paul walked out.

Why Kenny? I have read quite a few books over the summer by some well respected journalists who have spent a lot of time with managers, coaches and scouts throughout the football league and Kenny's name cropped up a number of times. In fact there's a chapter about him in "Living on the Volcano: The Secrets of Surviving as a Football Manager" by Michael Calvin (a very good read, by the way, highly recommended). All the references to him are positive and it is clear that Kenny is a man who is deeply respected throughout the game, as a coach, a manager and a man.

I can't judge exactly what the football world thinks of Paul, but I doubt he is held in the same esteem.

I think that Pompey and Kenny are a great fit. Kenny is exactly the kind of manager that a club wants if they are looking for stability and growth over a number of years, as Mr Eisner has proclaimed his intentions. Kenny would appear to have an extensive network and other managers and chairmen like him. Over an extended period of time, the way that Kenny goes quietly about his business, , not ruffling any feathers, building bridges and links with people, making the most of his sphere of influence, I think will pay dividends in terms of recruitment. His philosophy on recruitment of generally young hungry players with potential to improve, together with use of scouting coupled with an open mind to "moneyball" analytics, fits squarely in the aims of the new owner.

For Kenny, this is the job every manager in the Football League dreams of. An owner who says he will stick with his man through thick and thin, who won't subscribe to the "success at all costs" culture that has taken over football, driving the average time a manager has in a job to a season at best? An owner who says he wants his manager to shape and mould a football club over 10 years? That's the holy grail. It's all talk of course and it remains to be seen what our American owner will do if and when we struggle, but for now at least, I think things behind the scenes at Pompey are very positive, and this will gradually and progressively be reflected in the football and ultimately, league position.

Now let's hope I haven't jinxed it.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sawbo Blue wrote:Greetings

For me it has to be Kenny.

Not that the club ever had this choice as let's not forget, Paul walked out.

Why Kenny? I have read quite a few books over the summer by some well respected journalists who have spent a lot of time with managers, coaches and scouts throughout the football league and Kenny's name cropped up a number of times. In fact there's a chapter about him in "Living on the Volcano: The Secrets of Surviving as a Football Manager" by Michael Calvin (a very good read, by the way, highly recommended). All the references to him are positive and it is clear that Kenny is a man who is deeply respected throughout the game, as a coach, a manager and a man.

I can't judge exactly what the football world thinks of Paul, but I doubt he is held in the same esteem.

I think that Pompey and Kenny are a great fit. Kenny is exactly the kind of manager that a club wants if they are looking for stability and growth over a number of years, as Mr Eisner has proclaimed his intentions. Kenny would appear to have an extensive network and other managers and chairmen like him. Over an extended period of time, the way that Kenny goes quietly about his business, , not ruffling any feathers, building bridges and links with people, making the most of his sphere of influence, I think will pay dividends in terms of recruitment. His philosophy on recruitment of generally young hungry players with potential to improve, together with use of scouting coupled with an open mind to "moneyball" analytics, fits squarely in the aims of the new owner.

For Kenny, this is the job every manager in the Football League dreams of. An owner who says he will stick with his man through thick and thin, who won't subscribe to the "success at all costs" culture that has taken over football, driving the average time a manager has in a job to a season at best? An owner who says he wants his manager to shape and mould a football club over 10 years? That's the holy grail. It's all talk of course and it remains to be seen what our American owner will do if and when we struggle, but for now at least, I think things behind the scenes at Pompey are very positive, and this will gradually and progressively be reflected in the football and ultimately, league position.

Now let's hope I haven't jinxed it.
:thumb Great first post mate. Are you an old poster 'reincarnated'?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Sawbo Blue wrote:I think that Pompey and Kenny are a great fit. Kenny is exactly the kind of manager that a club wants if they are looking for stability and growth over a number of years, as Mr Eisner has proclaimed his intentions. Kenny would appear to have an extensive network and other managers and chairmen like him. Over an extended period of time, the way that Kenny goes quietly about his business, , not ruffling any feathers, building bridges and links with people, making the most of his sphere of influence, I think will pay dividends in terms of recruitment. His philosophy on recruitment of generally young hungry players with potential to improve, together with use of scouting coupled with an open mind to "moneyball" analytics, fits squarely in the aims of the new owner.
It's worth reading about KJ's time at Swansea. He was the instigator and driving force behind the whole culture change that established the way the club played from being in the lower leagues upwards, and was then taken on by Martinez and others. He understands long-term development and steady progress. I just hope that the owners are on the same page and will give him the time he needs.

And, hello Sawbo Blue; good to have a new, informed voice on the board.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:I just hope that the owners are on the same page and will give [Kenny Jackett] the time he needs.
+1
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

Earl Grey wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:I just hope that the owners are on the same page and will give [Kenny Jackett] the time he needs.
+1
+2

I think the new owners are just what we need right now! Fingers crossed! PUP PUPL
PUP
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

OldSpice wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:
+1
+2

I think the new owners are just what we need right now! Fingers crossed! PUP PUPL

+3

Been really impressed with the way that Tornante has proceeded after the takeover - kept their promises, steady progress, no wild financing schemes, no empty claims about redeveloping Fratton Park (e.g. MM pictured in a bulldozer with hard hat).

But none of this would have happened without the earlier brilliant work of the Supporters' Trust........

And hopefully we'll win against MK Dons on Saturday. PUP.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Milton End wrote: And hopefully we'll win against MK Dons on Saturday. PUP.
Have you seen our last 8 league games' form (most recent last)? L W L W L W L W
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Our October record is W W. :D
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Selsey Bill wrote:
We must break the sequence some time - hopefully with a win tomorrow.

We actually have a tough sequence coming up with the two away games that follow - Doncaster on Tuesday and Blackburn on Saturday 21st. I will be more than happy to draw at least one of these games, which will also break the sequence.

The sequence could also be broken if we have three losses. But, of course, this is highly unlikely.................PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

If we are thinking play offs at all this season these next two games are our chance to put the foot on the gas a little.