Kenny or Paul?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Kenny or Paul?

Post by Pompey1985 »

So the season has gone on long enough now for us to have an idea as to how it might pan out.

So based on the football and performances to date...

Who's style do you prefer?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Kenny or Paul?

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1985 wrote:So the season has gone on long enough now for us to have an idea as to how it might pan out.

So based on the football and performances to date...

Who's style do you prefer?
Footballing style-Cook.
In terms of speaking-Jackett.
If only you could morph the 2 eh. :D
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

pompeygunner wrote:Footballing style-Cook.
:thumb
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I've never understood the dislike of the way Cook spoke - I liked his honest assesments.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Kenny Jackett all the way.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Good topic!

I know that it isn't fashionable, but I think that we should wait at least one season, if not two before making judgement on a manager.

Paul Cook did a good job for us and got us promoted as champions, but I remember quite a few pretty forgettable games in the first half of last season with a fair amount of unrest against the manager while he was bedding the team in, and that was his second season.

I am very impressed with Kenny so far, especially as we are in a higher league, with a young team being built for the future and currently with horrendous injury problems, so it has to be Kenny for me.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

For me KJ seems the better all round balance, never had any major issues with PC other than he came across as quite arrogant at times.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

My view is that cook had a style and philosophy that we would play to.

Kenny doesn't seem to have this.

Time will tell but personally I'm disappointed with the Jackett 'brand' of football.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Kenny for me. Paul got the job done but it never felt convincing and he seemed on the edge most of the time. Also he's got himself a clear two year at a time career plan which feels a little mercenary (but pretty normal I guess). It might take longer to get to the next stage with Kenny but I reckon we'll be in a healthier state when we do.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Cant say due to lack of observation and KJ hasn't been around that long.
I would say I found it absolutely fascinating that that the number one critique of Cook's team, on this board at least (including myself), was that throughout the 1st 2/3 plus of the season we weren't tough enough / physical enough / big enough and were always out muscled......and yet Cook ultimately won the league.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Great question. As many of you will remember, I was a massive fan of Paul Cook, and will be eternally grateful for his part in last season. I prefer the measured way in which Kenny Jackett speaks, though I am not convinced yet that he is an improvement. As has been mentioned above, I think we need to give Jackett time, and I am quietly confident that he will come good - he gives the impression of a man who knows what he's doing, knows what he wants, and knows how to get there. He has also been dreadfully unlucky with injuries so far, and I have been impressed with his recruits. PUP.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

It's very difficult to judge the two, given the differences in budgetary constraints and level of opposition.

Cook had a lot more freedom to pay what he needed to those players he wanted (viz Mr. G. Roberts), Jackett has a budget that cannot bend, hence why the aforementioned Mr Roberts, amongst others, has now departed.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote:
Footballing style-Cook.
That's my take, too. I loved the patient, Barca-style build up with all the probing and nudging away at the opposition defence that Cook's teams gave us.
I'll always remember those early games against Derby, Reading and Ipswich where it was us that looked more like the Championship outfit.
And as for completely outplaying Bournemouth...first half, anyway (OK, a reserve-team Cherries side but even so still Prem standard reserve team). The 50+ pass move that led to Gary Roberts sticking the ball calmly into their net was just so reminiscent of our amazing display against AC Milan all those years ago, albeit at a lower level.

But Cook was such a complete Berk in front of the cameras whereas Jackett is the very essence of decorum and intelligence.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:
Footballing style-Cook.
That's my take, too. I loved the patient, Barca-style build up with all the probing and nudging away at the opposition defence that Cook's teams gave us.
I'll always remember those early games against Derby, Reading and Ipswich where it was us that looked more like the Championship outfit.
And as for completely outplaying Bournemouth...first half, anyway (OK, a reserve-team Cherries side but even so still Prem standard reserve team). The 50+ pass move that led to Gary Roberts sticking the ball calmly into their net was just so reminiscent of our amazing display against AC Milan all those years ago, albeit at a lower level.

But Cook was such a complete Berk in front of the cameras whereas Jackett is the very essence of decorum and intelligence.
The issue with the patient, Barca-style build up was that all they did was probe and nudge, there was very little end-product, it created very few actual chances. If matches were won on possession, we'd have been promoted the first season by a large margin. But it's scoring more goals than the other lot that counts.

That said, Bournemouth was indeed a special game, and they had to bring on Ritchie and Cook before they could get back in the game.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:
Footballing style-Cook.

The issue with the patient, Barca-style build up was that all they did was probe and nudge, there was very little end-product, it created very few actual chances. If matches were won on possession, we'd have been promoted the first season by a large margin. But it's scoring more goals than the other lot that counts.

That said, Bournemouth was indeed a special game, and they had to bring on Ritchie and Cook before they could get back in the game.
Totally agree that under Cook we never really created many chances but I still enjoyed the football.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.