Safe Standing

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Safe Standing

Post by Lost in Transportation »

PakefieldBlue wrote:I also used to stand on the North Terrace, and loved it. The reality of life now is that there'll never be a return to that style of terracing, it's just considered too much of a risk. The safe standing of the modern design is the best we can hope for, and in my opinion it's better than no standing option.
:thumb
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Purbrook Chimes wrote:maybe I'm getting old but why would anyone stand when there's a perfectly good seat, pisses me off at away matches everyone standing so you have to stand to see over them. I used to stand on North Terrace and it was fine but times have changed, I'd like to see them put in better forms of seating so we aren't penned in and squashed up
I'd agree with the seats being spread apart so you can actually all wear coats in winter without the one on the end of the row falling off their seat!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Just found an old picture of the North Lower and there were eleven steps between each rail, I would suspect that is too much now but I think have a dozen would be safe enough to prevent any crush.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
CoshamWreck
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by CoshamWreck »

Purbrook Chimes wrote:maybe I'm getting old but why would anyone stand when there's a perfectly good seat, pisses me off at away matches everyone standing so you have to stand to see over them. I used to stand on North Terrace and it was fine but times have changed, I'd like to see them put in better forms of seating so we aren't penned in and squashed up
Well I am old (3 weeks past my 70th) and I hate sitting, just doesn't seem right somehow and well uncomfortable in cold or wet weather.
I don't know if you have noticed this, but every time something happens on the pitch every bugger jumps up anyway! Then I have to haul up to see what's going on. :roll: I don't reckon times have changed so much as habits, people aren't so used to standing during the boring bits but they want to jump about when it's not. Well it's only natural ain't it?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

My season tickets are in the north stand lower and we have an amazing amount of leg room, but agree there isn't enough width. The bloke who sits next to me always encroaches my personal space and it bugs me - this gets worse the colder it gets as we all bulk up our clothing !
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:
My season tickets are in the north stand lower and we have an amazing amount of leg room.
That's to do with the shallowness of the terrace itself so the sightlines deter more seats from being installed. Whereas the South Upper seats have only 600mm which is the smallest length between seats at Fratton. Industry standard for seats now is 760mm. Fratton End is 700mm in comparison. Ideally 800mm would mean amble leg room for everyone and help those with walking issues to access them easily.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.