Back from the Southend game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Southend game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Today's was a very tight encounter that we probably deserved to win, just. Whilst it was 'only a 1-0 win' I have to say I came away a happy man purely because of the fighting manner in which we won the game. It could have been oh so different, but that's football. We started well and were just about in control for the first 10 minutes or so, with Matt Clarke unusually showing his attacking prowess down the left. In fact we could have scored after about 3 minutes after one of his marauding runs down the left ended with him whipping in a cross that deserved someones attention. Southend then started growing into the game, and if it hadn't been for an amazing fingertip save from McGee we could have easily been 1-0 down quite early in the game. For the rest of the first half both teams probed though neither really looked like scoring,. However, they took more and more control of midfield as we sat deeper and deeper. As half time approached they attacked our goal and but for some resolute defending nearly scored. I haven't seen the highlights yet but in a bizarre twist the referee awarded a penalty having previously pointed to a corner. The lino running the NSL then called the ref over and a penalty was awarded. I think for handball - Burgess?? Anyway, this absolutely riled the Fratton Faithful who poured abuse on the lino (rightly so IMO). Up steps a swaggering, over confident looking Ranger who blasts the ball over the bar. The home support reacted as if we had scored. About 30 seconds later the half time whistle was blown and the officials must have felt like they were walking the gauntlet as they walked down the tunnel. I'm sure this incident also played into our hands psychologically.
The second half started with Bennett being replaced by Kennedy. Bennett hadn't played at all badly, but he was being bullied out of the game. This decision by Kenny Jackett probably won us the match as Kennedy was a game changer. He produces the one quality moment in the game with a beautiful cross from the left (with his right foot) that Pitman rose to glance into the net with his head. 1-0 BOOOM. No other player on the pitch could have scored that goal - it was pure Pitman quality. We then played out the rest of the game, mainly on the back foot, but I loved the way we defended so resolutely.
My thoughts on our players:
McGee had a very good game - amazing save in first half, and did nothing wrong all game. Back four were excellent, especially Burgess and Clarke, though Evans and Hawkins not at all shabby with the latter looking better at CB than up front! Rose and Close were a revelation for me, both having excellent games. Bennett, Lowe, Naismith and Pitman all played well though Naismith was the standout dish for me, and when Matty Kennedy was introduced to the game, he changed it.
All in all, a very satisfying performance leaving us 2 points off the play off spot. Bring on next week.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Back from the Southend game

Post by Earl Grey »

Good report, SB.
Agree about Bennett. Normally he's tough enough but he seemed to be targeted for some rough treatment and wasn't being too effective whereas Kennedy gave us a lot more positivity.
Disagree about Evans. He made several schoolboy errors but got away with it. I could see why Jackett shoved him further forward and brought Thompson on. Not sure I'd have changed things at all at that stage tbh as despite quite a few errors Evans has the redeeming quality of oodles of pace to recover from his errors and at that stage we didn't look too much troubled by Southend.
As for the lino, he made what appeared to be two poor decisions for throw-ins, one for them, one for us, and then unaccountably was able to see better than the ref or any of the Southend players who appeared to be quite happy with the corner the ref had awarded. Had a look at the Sky Sports highlights but it's too difficult to see if the lino had any justification for over-riding the ref.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Earl Grey wrote:Good report, SB.
Agree about Bennett. Normally he's tough enough but he seemed to be targeted for some rough treatment and wasn't being too effective whereas Kennedy gave us a lot more positivity.
Disagree about Evans. He made several schoolboy errors but got away with it. I could see why Jackett shoved him further forward and brought Thompson on. Not sure I'd have changed things at all at that stage tbh as despite quite a few errors Evans has the redeeming quality of oodles of pace to recover from his errors and at that stage we didn't look too much troubled by Southend.
As for the lino, he made what appeared to be two poor decisions for throw-ins, one for them, one for us, and then unaccountably was able to see better than the ref or any of the Southend players who appeared to be quite happy with the corner the ref had awarded. Had a look at the Sky Sports highlights but it's too difficult to see if the lino had any justification for over-riding the ref.
Apparently, the 'offending ball' hit Matt Clarke in the stomach!
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Indeed, good report, SB.

I'd differ a bit on this: We then played out the rest of the game, mainly on the back foot, but I loved the way we defended so resolutely.

I reckon for a while after scoring we seemed to be looking for a second, but gradually Sarfend pushed us back on to the back foot. Then we did defend resolutely and rode our luck a bit too.

All in all, I thought it was a really good match today, and I thought the same about the Bradford match three weeks ago despite the result. In retrospect, I'm fairly happy with those two results: Bradford nicked a win they didn't really deserve and so did we today. If both matches had been a draw, which they could and maybe should have been, we'd be a point worse off.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Another pretty entertaining game that somehow only provided one goal. Pompey probably a bit lucky to get the win, but the reverse happened against Bradford, so it evens out. Whatever, you can't fault the effort and commitment of any of the Pompey players; they really gave their all for the team, which is a credit to Jackett.

As has been said, Bennett struggled badly in the first half. Southend squeezed the centre of midfield, and he had no room to turn and run with the ball. It would have been good if Naismith and Bennett had the nous to switch (or instructions from Jackett), so that Naismith could operate in tight spaces and Bennett get the room on the left side. However, Jackett dealt with it in the same way at HT by using Kennedy on the left. This season, on the whole, Jackett seems better than Cook at identifying problems and making changes.

Not too much to say on the penalty; replays are not clear. How the linesman sees better from further away and side on I don't know, but the referee is in a difficult position and has to follow the linesman's advice (interesting that no card was given; a point that I think Ferdinand was making at HT, and I can only think that the officials couldn't identify the Pompey player). Unless a player's arms are raised, it is tough to give a penalty when the ball is flying in as hard as that. Ultimately, justice was done; and then 10 minutes later Pitman did what Pitman does. The penalty miss was probably the key moment as I think Southend would have won from 1-0 up.
Earl Grey wrote:Not sure I'd have changed things at all at that stage tbh as despite quite a few errors Evans has the redeeming quality of oodles of pace to recover from his errors and at that stage we didn't look too much troubled by Southend.
I don't think Evans was the issue at this point in the game. Southend had brought on Jermaine McGlashan, who brought some pace and power to their left (something Southend lacked all game; their wide players were very poor) at a time when Lowe was out on his feet and leaving Evans exposed. Right substitution of Thompson for Lowe.

Following the penalty and then Pitman's goal, Southend seemed to run out of ideas, and despite some dodgy moments for spectators, we held on OK, and looked dangerous on the break and at least as likely to score as Southend. The following from the Southend Echo suggests that the opposition view was also that we weren't really threatened late on.
A second change soon followed with Marc-Antoine Fortune taking the place of Robinson before Jermaine McGlashan came on for White but Blues rarely threatened as Portsmouth comfortably held on to secure a third successive win.
The mention of Fortune is a reminder that a lot of Southend's players have PL & Championship experience. They don't come cheap and Southend's wage bill must be significant. Certainly higher than Pompey's and probably more than their income.

Overall, we are doing OK in L1. Whilst not one of the better teams, we are not struggling. There will be ups and downs, but that is what will be. We need a left back, either from internally or transfer, I think Clarke is a waste there; and Jackett needs to decide on his best team which is difficult as much of the squad are of equal ability and it is only by playing them that it becomes clear as to the best combinations. The good news is that we are making progress, and the problems are solveable.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Forgot to say, before Theo Robinson's shot that McGee saved so well, Robinson clearly handled the ball, Knocking it down with an outstretched arm. Ironically, both the referee and linesman missed that one! We could have been 0-2 down with a lot to complain about.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Forgot to say, before Theo Robinson's shot that McGee saved so well, Robinson clearly handled the ball, Knocking it down with an outstretched arm. Ironically, both the referee and linesman missed that one! We could have been 0-2 down with a lot to complain about.
Yes...I noticed that. It even had a marginal hint of being deliberate.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.