Matt Clarke

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Matt Clarke

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Does anyone know if the rumours of him possibly leaving in January have substance?
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Matt Clarke

Post by Earl Grey »

I expect a few people know but they're not telling.
Real shame because we're losing the core of a good Chumps team with players like Webster and Wallace going and now maybe Clarke....but hey ho....it was us pinching lower league players a few years ago. Indeed we're still doing it with Hawkins etc.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Personally not heard anything, but not in the least bit surprising as he is one of the few in our current squad who I feel could play at the next level up. In fairness to whoever did the deal (Catlin?), getting Matt Clarke plus the best part of £1m in exchange for Adam Webster was a good bit of business. He's exactly the sort of player we should be fighting to keep IMHO, especially if we have designs on playing in the Championship in the not too distant future as he is both young and extremely capable. Him and Burgess together could become a formidable CB pairing for some time to come. Whilst his obvious internal replacement would be Jack Whatmough, he has become very injury prone which is not ideal in such a crucial position. Clarke's contract doesn't run out until 30.06.2019 but I suspect Ipswich have a sell-on clause? Fingers crossed it is just a rumour.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Brighton very interested I heard, would rather explain why Hawkins is @ CB (and doing a decent job).
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I did wonder on Saturday, when Clarke was playing LB again, if there is already a done deal and we were taking the opportunity to get Hawkins games at CB. It is hard to stand in a player's way if there is a fair offer from a decent club.

If this is a consolidation year, then it might be good business to let Clarke go in January, when we would still get a good fee, rather than waiting 12, or even 18, months. Burgess, Thompson & Hawkins (and maybe a short-term veteran signing) would have to play through till the summer. At that point Whatmough might be fit for a couple of games, and/or we could sign a proper replacement.

Just speculation, but until (if) Clarke signs a contract extension I think there will be a lot of this. Overall, he looks like the Pompey player most obviously playing below his true level, and at his age he would be an excellent signing for a Championship club.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

If Clarke goes I think we need two replacements, Hawkins hasn’t been properly tested as yet and I think it’s time for jack to move on, we just can’t rely on him if he gets injured after playing 3 games every season.