Charlton vs Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Charlton vs Pompey

Post by Earl Grey »

Fantastic result!!!
Didn't go myself but well done to SB and all the others for making it.
Looking forward to the BFTG post with special reference to the fans experience.
God I wish I'd gone.
Now I know how a mate of mine felt after he decided against going to the Spurs FA Cup semi final because he thought we'd be stuffed.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Charlton vs Pompey

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Brilliant result, on to Fratton against Bury next week, I will be there!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

That was a big result for us today and, by the sound of it, a good performance from all players and the crowd. PUP
PUP
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Was in the car listening to EFM when the goal went in, mahoosive roar. Brilliant result & by the sound of it we were well deserved winners.
Well done KJ & the team. :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

A fantastic London away day. My lads and I took the train to Waterloo -walked to a nearby Nandos and had a cheeky one, along with a couple of bottles of Sagres, before jumping on a train from Waterloo East to Charlton. Judging by the amount of Pompey fans on the train compared to Charlton ones you'd have thought we were near or in Portsmouth. We arrived at the ground at around 1.30pm, and what a lovely stadium it is. Enjoyed a couple of pints in freezing temperatures before going in to watch the players warming up. They had this chap singing opera songs including Nessun Dorma, but the best part of this was when he was singing another opera extract and the Pompey fans converted it to "This ground's too big for you". You probably had to be there, but it was very funny. The atmosphere was excellent from start to finish,but in fairness, they bossed the first 25 minutes or so. However, as the half continued we grew into the game massively and Gareth Evans drew a great save from their keeper as we attacked. They had a late flurry but we walked off at half time 0-0. As the second half started Jackett subbed Conor Chaplin with Bennett - this turned out to be a stroke of genius as it changed the game. (This is one of things I like about Jackett-he knows when to make changes,and knows what to do! Within 2 minutes we were 1-0 andnever really looked like relinquishing our lead. Clarke and Burgess didn't miss a thing and Thompson and Haunstrup did very well,especially the latter who just gets better and better. He contained Ricky Holmes brilliantly, having done the same against Plymouth recently! I thought Rose and Doyle were both great, as was Bennett when he came on. Our man of the match for me was Jamal Lowe- he was outrageously good. Great performance :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thanks SB great report as usual!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:They had this chap singing opera songs including Nessun Dorma, but the best part of this was when he was singing another opera extract and the Pompey fans converted it to "This ground's too big for you".
Here's Selsey pretending his knowledge of operatic arias is extensive! :wink:
Selsey Bill wrote:As the second half started Jackett subbed Conor Chaplin with Bennett - this turned out to be a stroke of genius as it changed the game.
And some fans still want to see Bennett go in January. :roll: #Marmite
Selsey Bill wrote:I thought Rose and Doyle were both great, as was Bennett when he came on. Our man of the match for me was Jamal Lowe- he was outrageously good. Great performance :thumb
Rose and Doyle? Now SB...did you get into the Tardis and temporarily find yourself back in last season? :shock:

Great report SB...as always. It's those little details (like the Nandos visit and the ready wit of the fans turning an aria into an insult) that make your reports so interesting.
Glad to see Jamal Lowe coming back into form but I really fear for Pompey in January. Eyes will be turning to our squad and the jewels in our crown like Clarke and Lowe will be sorely tempted to do an Enda Stevens.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Earl Grey wrote:... but I really fear for Pompey in January. Eyes will be turning to our squad and the jewels in our crown like Clarke and Lowe will be sorely tempted to do an Enda Stevens.
At least they are under some contract, so we would get something back. Instead of doing a Stevens, they might be doing a Webster (for whom we got Clarke + money; a great deal). This is where an analytics team earn their money. If a player wants to go, they will, but the trick is to get more back in return (and before they are out of contract).

On the positive side, we are starting to have a good solid season in L1, and might even dream of sneaking into the play-offs. We are possibly only a year's more experience for a very young defence and a couple of good signings away from pushing for promotion. Any player basically happy at Pompey might be better off staying for a year, rather than risking not fitting into a Championship team, although of course money changes all that.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:They had this chap singing opera songs including Nessun Dorma, but the best part of this was when he was singing another opera extract and the Pompey fans converted it to "This ground's too big for you".
Here's Selsey pretending his knowledge of operatic arias is extensive! :wink:
Selsey Bill wrote:As the second half started Jackett subbed Conor Chaplin with Bennett - this turned out to be a stroke of genius as it changed the game.
And some fans still want to see Bennett go in January. :roll: #Marmite
Selsey Bill wrote:I thought Rose and Doyle were both great, as was Bennett when he came on. Our man of the match for me was Jamal Lowe- he was outrageously good. Great performance :thumb
Rose and Doyle? Now SB...did you get into the Tardis and temporarily find yourself back in last season? :shock:

Great report SB...as always. It's those little details (like the Nandos visit and the ready wit of the fans turning an aria into an insult) that make your reports so interesting.
Glad to see Jamal Lowe coming back into form but I really fear for Pompey in January. Eyes will be turning to our squad and the jewels in our crown like Clarke and Lowe will be sorely tempted to do an Enda Stevens.
I said as much about Clarke after last weekend's MickeyMouseTrophy game. I'm less worried about Lowe, I think another season or so and you'll be right.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Thanks also from me for the BFTG - much appreciated.

A few further observations from listening to the BBC Radio Solent commentary: first, PFC were well organised and each new his role. Moreover, PFC had clearly done its homework on the Charlton threats and how to deal with them. This has to be to the credit of KJ and his team on the training ground - at least in part.

Second, the News named Evans as MOM but the FPC website identified Lowe earlier today. The commentary suggested that both these and other players did an excellent job - McGee's save just before the end for example.

The identification of two different players as MOM suggests that this was a strong team performance.

Again, I personally think that KJ has been a major influence on both the players above. For example, Lowe's fast and mazy runs against defenders don't just happen. They come from work on the training ground.

More generally, the tactical withdrawal of Conor Chaplin at half-time and replacement by Bennett was a major contributor. The News tonight has a comment from KJ, "Jackett explained that was in an effort to inject some pace into his side, as they searched for the three points." [I think that the article implies that Conor needed a rest.]

Conclusion? We have a very strong management team.

But are we contenders for promotion this season?

I don't mind us being a contender but I think it is too early in the history of the club for promotion. We don't yet have the resources, the skill-set and the players to do well in the Championship. But others may disagree.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

I wii echo SB's comments. Thought Haundstrup is improving game on game, he had an immense game. After match we got in to Charltons Bartrams bar in the ground & Burge came in with his mum. He is an allround classy young man. He went into Central London with friends.
Vince
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Oh & we thought we really missed Ben Close in midfield. Thought O'keefe was our worst player. For a Championsip level player he never seemed to get to grips with the game, he is certainly no Michael Doyle.
Vince