Deadline Day

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Deadline Day

Post by Pompey1985 »

Not what it used to be.

The possible outgoings from the park have me worried too Naismith and Bennet and to a lesser degree Chaplin.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Deadline Day

Post by Lost in Transportation »

No interest in Chaplin say the News boys. Naismith appears to be a replacement for Powell at Wigan if their price is met. Bennett seems to be floating around.

Only definite news is Lalkovic leaving by mutual consent.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

We should be building the team around Naismith, not letting his contract run down and shippping him out.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Bennett's gone "by mutual consent" - seems a strange one, surely could have got a fee at the very least, we're hardly over run with fit players at the moment.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

PakefieldBlue wrote:Bennett's gone "by mutual consent" - seems a strange one, surely could have got a fee at the very least, we're hardly over run with fit players at the moment.
Too creative?
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Uninspiring.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Who are you talking about '85 - Bennett or Jackett??
Did anybody notice we signed a goalkeeper tonight? Henderson from Notts Forest. Who?? Why?? 8)
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

eltorrro wrote:Who are you talking about '85 - Bennett or Jackett??
Did anybody notice we signed a goalkeeper tonight? Henderson from Notts Forest. Who?? Why?? 8)

Jackett - I like Bennett.

Henderson was a good keeper for us at the time but I don't really get the why this time round certainly not to keep the bench warm.

Too many loans in and around the team for my liking now.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times

Post by eltorrro »

Derby have signed Palmer from Chelsea - does that mean we are going to get the midfielder lad from Derby? (Don't recall his name??) 8)
yahoodlums
Alan Knight

Post by yahoodlums »

Bennett is going to backfire on us. He's a great little player in the right system. Poor business.
"You can break many things, but you can't break our spirit!"
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Totally underwhelmed. OK, so Lalkovic was a sensible move, but Bennett a really strange one, and a bad one too in my mind. I really rated Kyle, the one player who could unlock a defence. As for Henderson. I'm amazed he has joined us, didn't think we could afford his salary? He is a definite notch up from McGee, who incidentally I feel for sorry for if he now keeps the bench warm. My main issue is that we haven't really sorted out the midfield issue. Perhaps a free or two coming our way?
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Selsey Bill wrote:Totally underwhelmed. OK, so Lalkovic was a sensible move, but Bennett a really strange one, and a bad one too in my mind. I really rated Kyle, the one player who could unlock a defence. As for Henderson. I'm amazed he has joined us, didn't think we could afford his salary? He is a definite notch up from McGee, who incidentally I feel for sorry for if he now keeps the bench warm. My main issue is that we haven't really sorted out the midfield issue. Perhaps a free or two coming our way?
I also feel underwhelmed by yesterday’s deadline transfers. No midfield back up (I see Walkes as a right) and no striker. Scoring goals has been a real problem over the past 5-7 games. This was an area I felt had to be strengthened along with midfield. Henderson is a good signing, but a luxury one we didn’t really need.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Maybe KJ is planning a new formation that doesn't require CM's!
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Just outside the play-offs (maybe the position flattering us a little bit) and the January window about to open. Surely there can only be two stances. One - spend a bit and really go for the play-offs. Or, maybe they simply don't want to go up this season. Without some serious wonger being spent, we'd be ripped to shreds in the Championship with this squad.

My main concern, whether they want to go up or not, is that having so many loan players (yet again), it will be another rebuilding exercise in the summer, with lots of players in and out. Then we have to start from scratch yet again.

Well, I guess Eisner did say he wasn't going to spend a lot of money!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Also underwhelmed. But my guess is that we don't know the full story.

Even allowing for this, I am still puzzled why we would let Bennet go now when the squad is small and we lack experienced players.

Hopefully, we will still be mid-table by the end of the season. But we still have to win some matches. The team line-up for the next few games will be crucial.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante