Deadline Day

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Deadline Day

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I agree with Milton End that we don't know the full story.

On a glass half full basis we have kept Clarke, Burgess, Lowe, Chaplin and Naismith, which is a nice surprise. I thought that we would probably lose at least one of them if not more. We have not generated any cash from player sales, so we were probably obliged to operate mainly in the loan market. The club management are likely to be keen to show Eisner that they can run a tight ship and not blow the budget in his first year of ownership.

Also, we don't know how many of the loanees might be available to us for a fee if they perform well for the remainder of the season.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Expectations too high, we are League One Pompey making our way within budget. We have a team that can compete in this division, not beat everyone we meet. We are a team in transition from 4 years in division two to our first year in division one. We cannot run before we can walk!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:Expectations too high, we are League One Pompey making our way within budget. We have a team that can compete in this division, not beat everyone we meet. We are a team in transition from 4 years in division two to our first year in division one. We cannot run before we can walk!
This is a good summary of my position. Whilst nobody turns promotion down, and our players would benefit from the experience of a play-off chance, I didn't see us challenging for promotion this year, and certainly think the Championship would be a struggle.

Whilst criticising Jackett for not signing many is easy, we don't who was really available, how much they would cost (share of wages) or how heavily the loaning club was demanding playing time. I don't like loans at the best of times, and even more so if we are going to finish mid-table anyway and could use the playing time for our own players.

I am not worried about Bennett going to Bristol Rovers, although it is unfortunate so soon after signing a new contract and that we couldn't get any fee. However, he has been very disappointing in L1, especially as a starter. Bennett's decision-making has always been dreadful, and this has just been exposed when there are fewer opportunities against better opponents. As I said post-Shrewsbury, I am not happy with our front four at all (in any combination of 7-8 of the players available) and would hope for a total rebuild over the summer. Bennett, Lalkovic and talk of Naismith leaving all suggests change is on the horizon. Lowe, Chaplin and Hawkins all still have potential, but I could do without the rest.

The Stephen Henderson signing was unexpected. I think McGee has been doing well, and can only benefit from the experience of playing; I wonder if this means that he has been carrying an injury and needs a rest as I seem to remember him hobbling in a couple of games. Also, Bass has potential, but has hardly played this year, so some sort of loan could be beneficial (I do not know the loan rules for non-league sides, and am open to correction if this is not possible).
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I read somewhere that Bennett was one of our higher wage earners, therefore I guess if KJ really wasn't convinced about him in the long term then you might as well cut your losses and free up wage budget. Still fascinates me how we struggle to sell players, it's always mutual consent then they sign for free somewhere else the next day. Still, Catlin always comes across impressively to me so I'm sure they'd be getting a fee if at all possible.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Interesting to note that this time last year we were 7th in the table, 15 points behind the leaders
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

We're gonna win the league......and now you're gonna believe us.....
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Interesting to note that this time last year we were 7th in the table, 15 points behind the leaders
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Post by Portchesterblue1 »

The Bennett one is an odd one, but I do understand the mutual consent thing. Clubs normally only pay a fee to the selling club to pay off the balance if the contract anyway, so if you can get the player to say ok I will just for go the balance he leaves on a free, new club doesn't have to pay anything.
We will probably never know how much of his contract we had to pay up, if any
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:We will probably never know how much of his contract we had to pay up, if any
All of it I'm told. The club saves on tax and bonuses over 2.5 years a 6-figure sum.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Ouch, seems strange to pay up the lot. And they won't save any tax, they will still have to pay it.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Portchesterblue1 wrote:Ouch, seems strange to pay up the lot. And they won't save any tax, they will still have to pay it.
They don't because Bennett has started a new contract with Bristol Rovers. This isn't the first time the club has done this under Tony Brown, this is just the most expensive termination.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

I would love to know how they won't have to pay the tax then, they are paying his salary, in one hit so both he and the club will have to still be liable for income tax regardless of if he has a new job or not.
Can't see HMRC saying don't worry about it
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Portchesterblue1 wrote:I would love to know how they won't have to pay the tax then, they are paying his salary, in one hit so both he and the club will have to still be liable for income tax regardless of if he has a new job or not.
Can't see HMRC saying don't worry about it
Its Bennett's responsibility. Club pays him the net value of his contract.