Testing, testing...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Testing, testing...

Post by eltorrro »

..'Hello, Mother. Can you hear me?'

Not one mention of yesterday's game. Thought the site might be down? 8)
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Testing, testing...

Post by Milton End »

Actually, I think you'll find a brief reference to the game result on the thread below.

Listened on Radio Solent - PFC were easily second best for the first 15 minutes. Then came the equalising PFC goal. In the second half, we dominated play in the early part but Doncaster still managed to score.

Pitman's equaliser, the very sad injury to Henderson and the sending off of Burgess made for a nail-biting 7 minutes of extra time.

For me, the one real success in a very difficult game was the support of the Fratton End - what a wall of sound!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think it's a general feeling of melancholy and gloom after the lack of excitement in the transfer window. After the lack of investment, I'm not expecting too much until the summer, to be honest.

Did anyone go? How did the new loanees perform, other than the goal that is?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
VFTH
Milan Mandaric

Post by VFTH »

Milton End wrote: For me, the one real success in a very difficult game was the support of the Fratton End - what a wall of sound!
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has once again criticised the atmosphere at Old Trafford, and claims the noise made at Portsmouth's Fratton Park is better.

Speaking in the wake of United's 2-0 win over Huddersfield, Mourinho was initially asked about new signing Alexis Sanchez, who scored his first goal for the club.

"He played only three (matches) and the first at Old Trafford, and I think Old Trafford, in spite of being a quiet stadium, the pitch is big, the grass is nice and obviously the players feel very comfortable playing here," Mourinho said.

Asked to explain his comments, a smiling Mourinho replied: "It's not Portsmouth.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 57301.html
Smile and those around you smile ..... Laugh and they think you have gone mad

http://www.smile4wessex.org
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Ok well lets see , we went a goal down around 4 minutes and my hopes were pretty low .
Then came three goals in a 15 minute spell to put us 3-1 up before Rondon got a second for WBA on 72 minutes which led to a tense end to the match which included 5 minutes of injury time but we held on for a rare three points.
Next up is Liverpool at SMS and the return of VVD who surely will remember his old pals and Liverpool should be grateful they got their man -a snip at £75m and he is shoring up their defence a treat.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

THe last 15-20 mins was really exciting. Other than that there seems to be a lot of grumbling about the signings close to us in the Fratton end. Just seems like a waste of a season now, a lot of the first team playing now won’t be here next season so it’s just going to be a summer rebuild rather than building a team to progress.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

richisbradders wrote:THe last 15-20 mins was really exciting. Other than that there seems to be a lot of grumbling about the signings close to us in the Fratton end. Just seems like a waste of a season now, a lot of the first team playing now won’t be here next season so it’s just going to be a summer rebuild rather than building a team to progress.

It does feel a bit like we're just going to play out the season.

Of those we have on loan we have zero chance of keeping some of them as such it just feels like you say a needless load of upheaval.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey1985 wrote:
richisbradders wrote:THe last 15-20 mins was really exciting. Other than that there seems to be a lot of grumbling about the signings close to us in the Fratton end. Just seems like a waste of a season now, a lot of the first team playing now won’t be here next season so it’s just going to be a summer rebuild rather than building a team to progress.

Of those we have on loan we have zero chance of keeping some of them as such it just feels like you say a needless load of upheaval.
Of the 6 loanees that are currently functioning at FP (ie not Holmes-Dennis), we have contractual or gentlemen's agreements to purchase all except one, so I have heard.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:

Of the 6 loanees that are currently functioning at FP (ie not Holmes-Dennis), we have contractual or gentlemen's agreements to purchase all except one, so I have heard.
Interesting - cant see us being allowed Ronan he is highly regarded.

Have the other impressed enough though - that's the next discussion point.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I did read somewhere that Jackett was only going to take on loans that could be made permanent if they impressed enough. I guess that makes sense and also reduces the mass upheaval in the close season when they all leave (which could still happen I suppose if they don't impress, but at least we've "tried before we've buyed)
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:

Interesting - cant see us being allowed Ronan he is highly regarded.

Have the other impressed enough though - that's the next discussion point.
It is indeed, so....

O'Keefe - I think, overall, it's a yes from me. Saw him play in the Checkatrade just before Christmas, where I thought he was excellent.
Kennedy - I'm a fan, he seems to want to go past people far more than Bennett seemed to want to. I think Bennett was a more naturally gifted player, but Kennedy seems to have a greater self-belief in his ability to beat an opponent.
Walkes - Based on Saturday, yes please.
Henderson - I don't think we'll see him play again this season. Thinking back to when he was here before, I thought he was excellent. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him sign permanently on that basis alone, although I think McGee is an excellent goalkeeper.
Deslandes - Kenny seems to prefer Donohue at LB, so that speaks volumes. It's a no from me.
Ronan - I suspect you're right that he's the one that we don't have an option on, but I would like to see him sign. If he enjoys his time here, and Wolves go up, it's not outside the bounds of possibility that he would want to come here permanently.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks Locky; I hadn't heard about those options. Interesting if true, and believable based on Jackett's overall approach to loan signings.

O'Keefe - Too much of a headless chicken. Rose, Close, May and Thompson are enough to cover DMF.
Kennedy - Plays a lot better with Donohue than otherwise. I think this is because Kennedy needs a LB to go past him, so that he can cut back onto his right foot to cross or cut in. Kennedy's left foot is not great. I think it might come down to either Kennedy or Naismith.
Walkes - Only one match, but he was very good against Doncaster. Given that Spurs were willing to let McGee go, I think there is a real chance of him staying and would be first on my list if he is really that good.
Henderson - Probably not. Nothing against Henderson, but McGee will need to play. However, we do need another goalkeeper who would allow Bass to go out on loan; he can't spend another year as reserve hardly playing.
Deslandes - Donohue is OK to good; Haunstrup will come back. So I don't see there being room.
Ronan - Probably won't be available, but he would be second on my list. If not Ronan, then we will really need to sign someone in the number 10 role with talent and imagination. It is where we have really been lacking this season, evidenced by the number of players tried. I would make Wolves a very tempting offer, especially if they are promoted, or else push for a full season loan.

The other question that we are going to have to address is where does Conor Chaplin sit after this season? He must be pretty frustrated, but hasn't demanded to be a first choice when he has played. I think it is decision time.