Jemal Lowe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Jemal Lowe

Post by Pompey1985 »

Is he really all that?

It's fairly often I read about how he is going to be the next big thing and we'll sell him for money - yet I fail to see it. What am I missing?

Truth be told I have a similar opinion of another of our players.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Jemal Lowe

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:Is he really all that?

It's fairly often I read about how he is going to be the next big thing and we'll sell him for money - yet I fail to see it. What am I missing?

He looked like he could be, but it seems that KJ has knocked his raw attacking flair out of him. I hope your other player is not Matt Clarke?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

He is a player for whom attacking right side of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 could have been designed. I don't think he is happy playing on the left (to accommodate Evans) and I don't think he is really a winger to play 4-4-2 as his crossing is not good enough. Lowe needs to play in a system where he can run all over the right half of the pitch as the whim takes him, and his slightly unpredictable play can worry defenders.

Back to the summer again, but I was sketching out a few line-ups and Lowe was the most difficult player to fit in outside the mentioned formations.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:

He looked like he could be, but it seems that KJ has knocked his raw attacking flair out of him. I hope your other player is not Matt Clarke?
No he oozes quality.

Chaplin.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I rate Jamal Lowe highly, but have been saying for a while that he should be in the centre or the right and not on the left.

He is very fast, can take a player on, and earlier in his time with us was finding the net regularly. Just as a long shot I might try him as a striker, which would give us some pace up front which imo we desperately need.

I do hope that we haven't coached the goals out of him.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Selsey Bill wrote:

He looked like he could be, but it seems that KJ has knocked his raw attacking flair out of him.
Very noticeable that when Lowe gets the ball nowadays almost always his 1st instinct is to turn towards our defenders or just pass it backwards. I hope SB is wrong about KJ's influence but fear he is right.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Just as a long shot I might try him as a striker, which would give us some pace up front which imo we desperately need.
Totally agree, well worth an experiment.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

He’s been out of sorts this season for sure. I think he’s struggled with the step up from league 2 considering he was playing 3-4 levels lower just over a year ago.

He’s still a decent player but to be honest right now I couldn’t say he was any better than Bennett who was shipped out.
Everyone is so quick to think someone’s gonna be a premier league superstar after a few good games, I think if Lowe wouldn’t have scored 2 at Notts county last season he wouldn’t be the fan favourite he generally is.

Likewise I’m no Chaplin fan either 85.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

richisbradders wrote:He’s been out of sorts this season for sure. I think he’s struggled with the step up from league 2 considering he was playing 3-4 levels lower just over a year ago.

He’s still a decent player but to be honest right now I couldn’t say he was any better than Bennett who was shipped out.
Everyone is so quick to think someone’s gonna be a premier league superstar after a few good games, I think if Lowe wouldn’t have scored 2 at Notts county last season he wouldn’t be the fan favourite he generally is.

Likewise I’m no Chaplin fan either 85.
Agree about Bennett and Lowe - I liked Bennett and I think he worked very hard - harder than Lowe.

I want it to work out for Chaplin but it appears to me he thinks he is better than he is and believes the hype.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote: I want it to work out for Chaplin but it appears to me he thinks he is better than he is and believes the hype.
What's happening with Chaplin reminds me of the Ashley Harris situation
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote: I want it to work out for Chaplin but it appears to me he thinks he is better than he is and believes the hype.
What's happening with Chaplin reminds me of the Ashley Harris situation
Ashley Harris was a different issue - he didn't understand the team game needed to be a professional footballer. It was all instinct and natural talent with Harris.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.