Jackett critique

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Jackett critique

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Jackett critique

Post by Pompey1985 »

That seems fair enough to me. I've said on a number of occasions this season how unfit the players are compared to last year.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

yeah...silly me but I would have thought fitness would be the primary driver in training.
Meanwhile, in the rest of the sports world, players have sensors in their jerseys hooked up to the assistants ipad that lets him know when performance levels are dropping off.
Plus, if you have anything resembling a pressing game in yer tactical arsenal, well, you better be damn fit!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Plus, if you have anything resembling a pressing game in yer tactical arsenal, well, you better be damn fit!
Never a truer word Mr The Kid.
If your squad is iron fit it's hardly going to be a disadvantage.
I'm a bit surprised actually because Kenny Jackett played all his friendly games such that each player stayed on for 90 minutes implying he was keen they would last the full match without flagging.
Now we learn that their training regime lacked any real focus on pure fitness.
Mind you, I recall that Brian Clough was a bit of a minimalist when it came to training and he didn't do too badly, did he?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Earl Grey wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Plus, if you have anything resembling a pressing game in yer tactical arsenal, well, you better be damn fit!
Never a truer word Mr The Kid.
If your squad is iron fit it's hardly going to be a disadvantage.
I'm a bit surprised actually because Kenny Jackett played all his friendly games such that each player stayed on for 90 minutes implying he was keen they would last the full match without flagging.
Now we learn that their training regime lacked any real focus on pure fitness.
Mind you, I recall that Brian Clough was a bit of a minimalist when it came to training and he didn't do too badly, did he?
Yeah but that was when half the players smoked!
Too much work for me but it would be interesting to find out how often we win / lose the second half...how often we concede on the last 15 vs how often we score
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Point 1:- If you play your training games at a high enough intensity, it will impact your fitness.

Point 2:- It seems to me that what Talbot is saying is that he didn't do purely fitness work because no-one made him do it. He's saying that his fitness suffered because he didn't have enough self-motivation to do the gym work without being told to do so. These are grown men, for goodness' sake, they shouldn't need their hands holding whilst being taken to the gym. It's not like they have to go far, is it.....
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

There is this, and an article in the News today wherein Enda Stevens credits Paul Cook for raising his fitness levels.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8427277

Now this I don't understand, and genuinely would like someone closer to league football to explain it to me. In a professional football club, what has the manager got to do with fitness levels? All clubs employ professional dietary, medical, fitness & training staff, and use expensive technology and IT systems to monitor players both in training and in games; none of this falls under the football manager's area of expertise. Of course, the manager has input in general terms such as "I am concerned about..." or "I don't mind starting the season slowly, if it means we finish strong" or "I know X is not fully fit, but we need him to play this match" , but ensuring that players are in the correct physical condition to play a full season of full games, with the recognition that all are different, and the blame or credit that attaches to this, lies with a particular department within the club. If we need to sort this out through recruitment or investment, then Pompey need to get on with it.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Point 1:- If you play your training games at a high enough intensity, it will impact your fitness.

Point 2:- It seems to me that what Talbot is saying is that he didn't do purely fitness work because no-one made him do it. He's saying that his fitness suffered because he didn't have enough self-motivation to do the gym work without being told to do so. These are grown men, for goodness' sake, they shouldn't need their hands holding whilst being taken to the gym. It's not like they have to go far, is it.....
Agree locky, they are supposed to be professional sports persons/athletes, would think being motivated to be fit would be key.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

well...yes BUT....I don't know what hrs per day yer average footy players show up for work on non game days. I assume the players union has some sort of input into maximum amount of time per day at the club

But if we assume everyone shows up around 10am and everyone goes home around 5pm, surely some of that time should be allotted to fitness training by the manager weather or not he oversees it.
OR the manager must be clear....I don't spend a lot of time on fitness here but its up to you the individual to be sure you are fit. And if that's the case, well...yeah...they are all pros and should be self motivated....but who wants to go to the gym after you've been running around at work all day? Working hard on tactics doesn't necessarily mean you are getting match fit for a 90 min game twice a week.

I think its a mistake if you're not managing everyone's fitness levels....other managers sure are....why give them the edge?

Its all very well being self motivated but surely at this level you need pushed by a fitness coach and you need the time allotted to get that done.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:well...yes BUT....I don't know what hrs per day yer average footy players show up for work on non game days. I assume the players union has some sort of input into maximum amount of time per day at the club

But if we assume everyone shows up around 10am and everyone goes home around 5pm, surely some of that time should be allotted to fitness training by the manager weather or not he oversees it.
OR the manager must be clear....I don't spend a lot of time on fitness here but its up to you the individual to be sure you are fit. And if that's the case, well...yeah...they are all pros and should be self motivated....but who wants to go to the gym after you've been running around at work all day? Working hard on tactics doesn't necessarily mean you are getting match fit for a 90 min game twice a week.

I think its a mistake if you're not managing everyone's fitness levels....other managers sure are....why give them the edge?

Its all very well being self motivated but surely at this level you need pushed by a fitness coach and you need the time allotted to get that done.
+1