So here we go again

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pafcprogs
Collins Mbesuma

So here we go again

Post by pafcprogs »

Looks like Saturday will be a pretty seismic day....I think both clubs are now close enough to sniff an unlikely promotion chance.

I have watched the Wigan game and was impressed again by Jamal Lowe...Pitman is different gravy at this level also. Have always liked Naismith even though he seems to have a nasty streak.

The good news is we have discovered a way to score goals so you will probably need to score two to win...I can't see a goalless draw or a scrappy one niller here, and the atmosphere will be great.....

It's probably one all over recent seasons with your nicking the title and us nicking the play-offs and might depend on who freezes on the day.

Your run in looks slightly harder than ours with us followed by Charlton and then finishing with Peterborough although I would expect them to be out of the running by then.

I fancy us to take points at Rochdale at Northampton and beat Rotherham so a win Saturday whilst not fatal for you would be huge for us. We have an appalling record at Scunthorpe so wouldn't expect much there.

If we can go to gillingham needing a point or three then I think we will make it. Likewise if you face Posh needing a win I would expect them to melt. It could all come down to which Bradford you play....

Either way good luck...ideally the EFL would like us to be in opposite semifinals and a nearly full Wembley final....

I wouldn't mind that either ( although I would rather play Rotherham or Peterborough there for ease of opponent)

What will be will be.....who would have put money on it in August ( or December!!! I wish I had!)

COYG
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: So here we go again

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think Charlton will be the twitchiest of the three teams looking for those two spots. I think, as you say, your run in is very slightly easier than ours - although you still have the extra game to play. Charlton though, have Pompey and Shrewsbury away, plus a slightly in-form Rochdale (fighting for survival) and Blackburn home yet. So I could quite easily see Charlton being the unlucky one.

For our point of view, we have it all in our own hands now. It's almost like the play-offs start on Saturday.

There is some recent bad blood between our teams, but I don't see that myself. The more south coast clubs in the higher leagues the better as far as I'm concerned. No better feeling than beating the deckchairs with a late goal - or even better, losing to WBA on the last day of the season to get your main rivals relegated :)
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

RubiconCSL wrote:I think Charlton will be the twitchiest of the three teams looking for those two spots. I think, as you say, your run in is very slightly easier than ours - although you still have the extra game to play. Charlton though, have Pompey and Shrewsbury away, plus a slightly in-form Rochdale (fighting for survival) and Blackburn home yet. So I could quite easily see Charlton being the unlucky one.

For our point of view, we have it all in our own hands now. It's almost like the play-offs start on Saturday.

There is some recent bad blood between our teams, but I don't see that myself. The more south coast clubs in the higher leagues the better as far as I'm concerned. No better feeling than beating the deckchairs with a late goal - or even better, losing to WBA on the last day of the season to get your main rivals relegated :)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/obsession .

:roll:
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

RubiconCSL wrote: There is some recent bad blood between our teams, but I don't see that myself. The more south coast clubs in the higher leagues the better as far as I'm concerned.
Agree with that. The bad blood is because of the way that Plymouth's manager targeted our most influential players to injure. And not just give them a tough tackle or two but to put them out of football for several months.
Nothing against Plymouth but their manager isn't fit to be in the game. I see against Peterborough last match he has them now falling over clutching their faces at the slightest touch.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pafcprogs
Collins Mbesuma

Post by pafcprogs »

I didn't come to start a row but I have to defend Adams...I don't believe he has ever sent players out to injure opponents....and whilst we have players who look after themselves no more so than others teams and a lot less than some...on Saturday Shepherd was unlucky to get a straight red but he was obstructing off the ball so it was a yellow and he had already been booked...if he gets it overturned he has got away with one...Taylor could and should have gone well before he did....

And I don't like the way a couple of our players have reacted to fouls but I do think we learned early on that in this league opponents are more street smart and prone to collapse in agony than League 2 ( honourable exception to Wycombe whose games always last forever given how far they roll when tackled). Carey gets assaulted more than most and Taylor also takes a bettering as he is integral to the way we play....

Its very easy to find examples...your lad who went down like he was shot when Matt barely touched him ( albeit he could easily have been sent off for it) in the 2-2 play off game and the lad who has a glass chin v Oxford for two :)

I was impressed on the highlights when Jamal Lowe kept going despite being pulled in the box which set up your equaliser. I rate him from what little I have seen.....it says something about the game today when you notice the ones who don't fall over like a wind machine has been turned on

How is Kennedy doing for you guys...a one trick pony with his cut inside and shoot...but its a good trick when it works!

Anyhow, sporting considerations should take priority...although you Northerners claiming you like Southern teams to do well...I don't know :) :)
Last edited by pafcprogs on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

pafcprogs wrote:the lad who has a glass chin v Oxford for two :)
Now that was just comedy genius.

Its a bit surprising that both teams are with a decent shot of the play-offs still. I predicted an optimistic 9th at the start of the season. We're still quite a flawed side so I'm not expecting to finish in the top 6.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It`s funny how fans of Football Teams are so biased towards their own Team. Pompey Fans believe that Argyle Players set out to cripple individual Pompey Players in the "Play Off" games. Fact Evans & Holland were out for 3 months with the injuries sustained in those games (both were fouls which were penalised with yellow cards). I suspect Mr Adams already has noted one or two of our Players have short fuses which he will instruct his Players to exploit. We will Man-mark Carey and we already know about Taylor & Bradley. I was at the match early on in this season and Argyle were not very good & Carey was substituted after 60 minutes or so. Bring on saturday I have my tickets.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I can excuse it all but I cannot excuse how much Adams balls the the knackers off me when he speaks.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

pafcprogs wrote:I didn't come to start a row but I have to defend Adams...I don't believe he has ever sent players out to injure opponents....and whilst we have players who look after themselves no more so than others teams and a lot less than some...on Saturday Shepherd was unlucky to get a straight red but he was obstructing off the ball so it was a yellow and he had already been booked...if he gets it overturned he has got away with one...Taylor could and should have gone well before he did....

)
Hi pafcprogs, firstly let me say I used to have a soft spot for Argyle. Mainly because I was based down there on a ship in refit early 80's & because you had Dave Kemp playing for you I used to get along to Home Park a fair bit, even to the point of dragging some of my oppos with me. Few pints in the Brittania & then onto the match.
But you can defend Adams all you like matey but those play off games your team "thugged" us. Your idea that Matt did nothing when iirc he headbutted someone, Danny Hollands got severe treatment resulting in a leg fracture & Gareth Evans ligament damage. Unfortunately the 2 refs were very weak, in particular Langford down here. Who quite honestly was away with the fairies over the stuff he missed.
We all know that play acting is a given these days, I particularly agree with what you said earlier about Wycombe who are past masters @ play acting & time wasting.
Derek Adams, Hmmmm. Down here when we won 1-0 & tbh it was a 1-0 mullering claimed you lot were the better team etc. So you defend him all you like, but down here his name tends to bring a degree of derision. Not many players go out to deliberately hurt another professional imho, but in those 2 play off games too many of our players ended up with injuries, 2 of them very serious ones. That for me came from DA.
Right all that said, you've had a stonking second half to the season, its going to be a very tough game for us Saturday. Lets hope that its a game remembered for the football & not injuries or dodgy refereeing decisions.
PUP PPU. :thumb
pafcprogs
Collins Mbesuma

Post by pafcprogs »

I have been watching football for more years than I care to remember and so have seen some bad challenges and some that were honest contests for the ball where players mistime and people get injured...

I am obviously not as observant as you about Pompey injuries....so I am not going to debate intent...but we don't have a track record of sending players home injured....and Adams shows none of the hysterical tendencies of an Ainsworth or an Evans....McHugh who I think was one of the culprits had a reckless tackle in him...and he is now in the SPL at Motherwell with a couple of others , (Tanner and Hartley....you probably remember him). We had a rash of red cards at the start of the season....and all it cost us was points and goal difference so since we turned it around ( the defeat at yours was the last really poor away game we played) our disciplinary record has been exemplary....hardly any yellows...let alone reds

As for Adams post match moments...I rarely listen to them...he does them under duress to a degree so don't expect insight....and yes he will say something to upset opposition managers, and more fool them if like Ferguson Jr and Evans they bite, as nothing they say has the slightest impact on him. He is a squad builder and so he is never going to say his players didn't do well in public...in private he would do what he needs to get his message to under performers but his track record is of taking players for nothing who no-one else wants and making them into better players....ever heard of Carey before he arrived at Argyle...nope me neither.... and we were underwhelmed by the journeymen who became a decent squad....

He is ruthless and meticulous....probably half the squad we have will depart in the summer up or not.....Jervis, brought in for nothing and second highest scorer shipped to Luton for a six figure fee...now on their bench....he will already know his targets for next season whichever way it goes....and since he has arrived the rumours board is a desert...nothing emerges until he has the signature....

But I get how the dour exterior and my team were great no matter what the score would grate....no-one is ever going to publish a book of Derek Adams quotes ( or if they do they won't make much money and it won't be a very big book) but he has the highest win percentage of any Argyle manager in recent years....and we now play decent attacking football

Saturday will be a great atmosphere...sadly I will be in Kent hooked to Soccer Saturday.....may the best team ( in Green) win.

After that the top six will be teams that deserve it over the season...because they have the most points etc.....so yes that does mean you deserved to be Champions last season....

I think you have to be in with a shout even if we beat you Saturday and if you go into the final game needing a win to make the play offs I' d take that bet every time.

We both have a free shot at promotion this season, as I don't think either clubs fanbase expected to have that...

Over and out :0